The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM

If there is one commercial that would stop me from giving them a serious try its Flow and Progressive Insurance. I would not seek coverage from them even if the cost was $25 a month.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
If there is one commercial that would stop me from giving them a serious try its Flow and Progressive Insurance.
But, she is so hot!

(My girlfriend was with them for awhile. They also use a monitoring device. )
Old 07-27-2019, 03:59 PM

A lot of advertisements create a conversation, but if it's negative, it's not doing the company any good...and it's certainly not going to increase their revenue which is the sole purpose of advertising...

I've seen some ads that annoyed me, or insulted my intelligence so badly, they've firmly persuaded me to make certain I never used their service or product...and that's the opinion I pass on to others...
Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM

It's been years since I have seen a commercial as don't have regular tv. I watch Amazon, Neftflix, Hulu which doesn't have commercials.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
We probably all understand the theory, but reading something like this sure would make me cross that company off my list if I were shopping for auto insurance.
True. I had already decided that this discount program wasn't something I'd be interested in, but that pretty much sealed it for me. Why? Because it's first-hand experience. That carries a lot more weight than a commercial. The ads can only bring attention to something. After that, it's up to the product or business to make believers out of people. If we're going to stop doing business with a company simply because we don't like their commercials, we'll soon end up with no insurance in the current environment because...what do you have out there? State Farm with this commercial and the Chris Paul/James Harden scenarios...Flo at Progressive...the Geiko gekko...the AFLAC duck. None of those are serious commercials that are strictly about the product.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM

FWIW all advertising is potentially dishonest.

OT, my old ex next door neighbor worked for State Farm. We were not good neighbors and he was often out of town. (the jingle is "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there!")

They lived in Florida half the time. I'm sure they had geckos running around their lanai!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
FWIW all advertising is potentially dishonest.
They want you to believe that by "driving safely" will help you get cheaper insurance. The reality is they are looking for excuses to RAISE your insurance. With this, they track everything: Sudden stops (even if they weren't your fault), your driving speed, hard/quick turns, etc.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
A lot of advertisements create a conversation, but if it's negative, it's not doing the company any good...and it's certainly not going to increase their revenue which is the sole purpose of advertising...

I've seen some ads that annoyed me, or insulted my intelligence so badly, they've firmly persuaded me to make certain I never used their service or product...and that's the opinion I pass on to others...
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I've never seen an advertisement which insulted me. Annoyed? Sure, but I'd never dream of not buying something just because I don't like their commercial.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
They want you to believe that by "driving safely" will help you get cheaper insurance. The reality is they are looking for excuses to RAISE your insurance. With this, they track everything: Sudden stops (even if they weren't your fault), your driving speed, hard/quick turns, etc.
Actually, this isn't true.

I had one of the units in my truck when I was with Progressive. I ended up lowering my insurance bill by a couple hundred bucks. A friend who had it wasn't as , shall we say, "careful" as I was, and he didn't save anything.

His premium also didn't go up as a result of his driving habits...
Old 07-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Too true. I was with the same insurance company for 20 years. I hadn't had an accident in years and they still continually raised my rates. When I finally switched I cut my bill in half. The old company solicits me regularly (by killing trees with snail mail spam) to get me back but I'm not biting. It's like cable. Every few years you have to jump ship. I'll probably change companies again soon.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I've never seen an advertisement which insulted me. Annoyed? Sure, but I'd never dream of not buying something just because I don't like their commercial.
Well then, we have just different opinions about advertising, don't we?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Well then, we have just different opinions about advertising, don't we?
Sure.

I'll just put this pesky little MBA, along with over a decade's worth of experience in sales & marketing, in this drawer over here...
Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I've seen some ads that annoyed me, or insulted my intelligence so badly, they've firmly persuaded me to make certain I never used their service or product......
I agree.

I'll NEVER buy anything from Duluth Trading.

Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I agree.

I'll NEVER buy anything from Duluth Trading.

Ever.

It’s a great store with high quality products...I put up with the ads...
Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
It’s a great store with high quality products...I put up with the ads...
From the looks of guy on their ads, I'm pretty sure that I am their target audience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic