The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Default Tone Wood Amp (TWA)?

Any one here has any first-hand experience or encounter with this new thing? Pros or Cons about it? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:06 PM

Default Twa

Have one on my tone devil HG. Just using slight reverb. Awesome. Recommend it. Fun.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

You may want to check out this thread over on the Acoustic Amplification Forum…

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396570
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
You may want to check out this thread over on the Acoustic Amplification Forum…

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396570
Thanks so much, Kerbie. I'm always a "Johnny comes lately" type

So this thing came out since August 2015! And it was a little over $100, now it's up to $239!!! The law of "Supply & Demand" is working again here!? And that UP price alone makes me think twice or even three times now!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM

I believe that they have made some improvements since the initial offering on kickstarter.

I've been eyeing it for a while. I haven't pulled the trigger yet for a couple of reasons.

#1. I'm searching for a regular player to post their usage & comments as opposed to the various pro's video's claiming how awesome it is.

#2. I've heard a few comments that it "eats batteries" both in the unit and the batteries in your guitars pre-amp system. My hope is that they'll improve on power consumption without adding an AC adaptor.

#3 I rarely play out or with an amplifier. Having the ability to improve the sound out of my guitar without powering up an amp is very cool. But I'm still worried that it's a toy that will be used for a few months and then collect dust.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 AM

i've done a couple searches on the TWA and i'm not finding much for recent post. I did order one a couple days ago. I hope it does not turn out to be a dust catcher. I'll be using it on a taylor 514 and a Taylor 150 twelve string. I hope the 150 with laminated back will work. I also ordered a charger and batteries from Amazon.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:54 AM

I'm one of the early adopters for the TWAmp, it is indeed a miracle, and a lot of initial fun. It does eat batteries and after some time, I find myself not too willing to replace/charge/cap the batteries up and so on. So it's been gathering dust the last few months!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:35 PM

I've been wanting one of these for a while now. They're portability mixed with the fact its an effects box is amazing. You can take it with you round the campfire so easily
Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM

For those interested you can go to the website and check out all the specs/watch videos. However, I would like to cover some things that might not be readily apparent from their site. In an effort to give an honest and objective review....

What I like:

The TWA sounds incredibly transparent. I use K&K and JJB330 equipped guitars and get great results. I love that you can bypass the effects coming through the soundhole and use the DI out to your amp/PA. It sounds amazing! Also, TWA now giving the option to override the distortion effect and are replacing it with a chorus effect (while I've not heard the effect beta testers are swearing by it and, to me, that is a more useful effect for acoustic than distortion). The effect is downloadable from TWA's website via micro-USB.

What I don't like:

This is nitpicking.

**The unit is one more step to install if you want to use it for practice time. Sometimes I just want to pick up and play!

**extra X-braces are like $30+ dollars. Cool that you can use the TWA on as many guitars you have X-braces for but a piece of molded plastic and 4 neodymium magnets? Come on TWA

**the sticky pads for affixing the device on the outside of your guitar lose their stick and won't stay on as good once that happens- especially on a satin finish. TWA sells replacements but, again, at a premium

**yes the thing loves juice, but a set of Eneloop batteries and an Eneloop charger from Amazon have largely remedied this. These are the best rechargeable battery you can buy at this cost IMO.

Overall I give the TWA high marks- well thought out and innovative!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:56 PM

I have one. I love it, it's massive fun. It does use batteries at a high rate but it's so much fun.
I bought some of those extra strong magnets from ebay for about £4 and glued them inside a second guitar so I can use that too.
More seriously, it can change the way I play a tune as there's more space with reverb etc. Somehow I feel as if I can put more emphasis on certain parts and relax against the tempo of the tune.
Nick
Old 08-29-2018, 04:16 PM

timely thread - I've been on the fence for a while too.
I was originally considering a Fishman amp but after a while realized that I wanted it more for the effects than the amplification.
I play at home and around friends so I don't really need to be louder but want to tweak my sound.
The TWA seems perfect. I am literally saving spare change coins to buy one
(not that I can't buy it straight up - it's turned into a "thing" for me).
I should be fully funded around Christmas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification