The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Default 2 finger chords

The topic title is probably misleading. I play a number of songs that incorporate what I call 2 finger chords, i.e., 1st finger on B string at 2nd fret, 2nd finger on G string at 3rd fret....or at different locations on the neck. Sometimes they are played individually, sometimes I play one then do a slide up or down the next to arrive at the next position. (does make any sense to anyone)

Is there a name for this type of chord or fingering? Is there a chart or something visual that will allow me to identify other "2 finger chords" and the key in which they are played?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Double-Stop
Old 01-16-2016, 03:42 PM

Yeah, other than the misleadingly titled power chord, a chord has at least three notes. Two notes are usually referred to as a double stop.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:16 PM

On unfretted instruments, like violin, viola and cello, when you hold a string down you 'stop' it rather than 'fret' it. So holding two strings down is double stopping. The same phrase will work for guitar but I suppose you could also call it double fretting.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbird View Post
The topic title is probably misleading. I play a number of songs that incorporate what I call 2 finger chords, i.e., 1st finger on B string at 2nd fret, 2nd finger on G string at 3rd fret....or at different locations on the neck. Sometimes they are played individually, sometimes I play one then do a slide up or down the next to arrive at the next position. (does make any sense to anyone)

Is there a name for this type of chord or fingering? Is there a chart or something visual that will allow me to identify other "2 finger chords" and the key in which they are played?
They are called dyads.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbird View Post

Hi bird…

The fingering you listed is technically called a parallel third, and the street name people call parallel intervals/runs is double stops.

Here's a chart of parallel 3rds, 6ths, and 10ths I put together quickly for a fellow at a guitar festival where I was teaching, and he was on the right track and needed to organize things to process later. All examples are in key of G major - and pay attention to the ones where the root position is on the open strings.

The concept is deeper than expressed in this simple chart, and spans lessons over several weeks and all the keys before a student has it. They know how to construct and play parallel 3rds, 6ths and 10ths on the fly, and on the 3rds and 6ths on two pairs of strings. Feel free to download and use it.

With parallel 3rds and 10ths, when playing Root position, the Root is on the lowest pitched string. With parallel 6ths, in the Root position, the root appears on the highest pitched string. The charts is designed for key of G major. And when you start at the Root position and ascend an octave, you are playing a G major scale and adding those parallel intervals. There are also many other two note intervals, but these 3 are quite useful and easy to learn.

Note, in standard tuning there are always/only 2 fingering positions and one is closer by one fret than the other. So one finger can glide on one string while two fingers alternate for quick and fluid play back and forth to the other position. The numbers on the chart are referring to fingers playing each parallel interval.

On the chart if it says "Root" it's referring to the root position for the scale in that key. And if the root position is open, then you close it and work in either direction from that root position in pairs. If the root fingering position is close (or parallel), then you open it and work away from the root position in either direction in pairs.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM

the two finger chords you describe can also be referred to as "guide tones" in which you are just playing two notes of a chord. In your example of second fret of the B string (C#) and third fret of the E string (G) it implies an A7 chord.
Guide tones use the third and seventh voicing of a chord and that is strong enough (tonally) to imply the chord.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:38 AM

The two-finger power chord is a perfect fifth, which I thought was a dyad chord. Using two-note lead riffs (eg Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughn), I thought, was a double stop. Right or wrong, thanks for the valuable info especially the tab.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM

C# and G is actually a diminished 5th
Old 01-17-2016, 12:11 PM

I've always thought of the shapes in ljguitar's post as harmonised melody notes rather than chords. I might play two or thee of these shapes over a single chord. Some of these shapes will conform to the current chord and some will colour the current chord.

The term dyad, 'two individuals or units regarded as a pair' applies to a range of subjects wider than just music, such as biology and mathematics. It suits these kinds of pairs of notes very well.

Incidentally, where in the diagrams is C# and G? Am I missing something?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:36 PM

Hi Stanron
I am referring to the OP and his question
"is there a name for this type of chord or fingering"
and in the post he mentions 2nd fret of B string (C#) and 3rd fret of the E string (G)
or maybe I am missing something? and the thread has evolved away from the initial question
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
C# and G is actually a diminished 5th
Hi Dale
It could be the top notes of an A7 chord.

x

Or it could be this…

x
x

It can be several things other than just calling it a specific interval.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-17-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: oops…
Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I've always thought of the shapes in ljguitar's post as harmonised melody notes rather than chords. I might play two or thee of these shapes over a single chord. Some of these shapes will conform to the current chord and some will colour the current chord.

The term dyad, 'two individuals or units regarded as a pair' applies to a range of subjects wider than just music, such as biology and mathematics. It suits these kinds of pairs of notes very well.

Incidentally, where in the diagrams is C# and G? Am I missing something?
Hi Stanton

I misread the original post and turned the fingering around. I thought it said first finger 2nd fret b string, and second finger 3rd fret G.

I'm going to blame it on age, and multi-tasking (watching football while posting).

I was more reacting to the term double-stop rather than stating the interval.

And parallel 3rds, 6ths, 10ths (4ths etc) are very useful for moving around within chords, or outlining melodies. They are sure not limited to playing really tiny chords. The way the original poster described them I'd call them fills.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the help. Exactly what I was looking for....
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Hi Larry
the diminished 5th was in reference to the previous reply calling the two notes a perfect 5th.
And yes, many chord options with the two notes for sure.
And sadly, my team (seattle) is getting their butts kicked right now.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write