The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

I switched soundcloud back to classic (thanks for the tip!) and now it works again
Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Not that this is my finest moment, but I finally figured out some basic Garageband stuff today and was able to merger ther rhythm and lead parts to Late Winter Early Spring. It isn't correct, but since hardly anybody knows how to play this anyway, you can get away with a lot of mistakes. My brazen ones still stand out, and I will work this out, but this is what I can do now with this tune. I played the rhythm, then overdubbed some bass notes by tuning the 5 and 6 strings down to C and F, then added the lead.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-adams-baltimore/lwes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Alright, in spirit of this challenge I'm making myself vulnerable and posting my rendition of "Haul Away Joe." Disclaimers: 1) I recorded this on a cell phone so it's not the greatest quality (alas it's all I have), and 2) I am a dreadful singer so please don't be judgmental. Thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/bagpipesandbells/haulawayjoe
Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM

I didn't post progress on the thread, but I did use this challenge as my catalyst to learn Hey Jude fingerstyle. Based on a tabs/staff version in a book I got for Christmas, with some modification. (Now learning another song in there...)

Still playing it every day, and have a couple of little tweaky spots that require me to be better--one, a quick little double pull-off, and another a chord change from an Am7 to D/F# that for some reason is awkward for me. (When my index finger stretches quickly to the F#, my ring and middle fingers don't easily want to move a fret apart. Other directions of going into D/F# don't seem to give me this trouble.)

Also, still play Freight Train every day, which was my challenge in that first 14-day thread. There are still some parts to perfect on that, too.

So, anyway, while I haven't been a good reporter, I have been a good worker, so thanks for the threads!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Really nice playing Lynn - love to learn that one for our next jam ( I might be able to remember the tune!!)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Also listened to Cypress's recording - pretty fancy with several tracks - wish I could do some of that lead guitar!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Really nice playing Lynn - love to learn that one for our next jam ( I might be able to remember the tune!!)
It's real easy. In 2/4 time: |Am /|Em /|Dsus2 /|Em /|Am /|Em /|Dsus2 Em|Am /| and repeat ad nauseam. Use whatever picking pattern you like. I fingerpicked a simple arpeggio but you can flatpick or strum if you wish.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Not that this is my finest moment, but I finally figured out some basic Garageband stuff today and was able to merger ther rhythm and lead parts to Late Winter Early Spring. It isn't correct, but since hardly anybody knows how to play this anyway, you can get away with a lot of mistakes. My brazen ones still stand out, and I will work this out, but this is what I can do now with this tune. I played the rhythm, then overdubbed some bass notes by tuning the 5 and 6 strings down to C and F, then added the lead.

that is a challenging piece. 2 pieces, really (rhythm and lead). lots of cool licks and things to be learned from it, so you should feel really good about it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Alright, in spirit of this challenge I'm making myself vulnerable and posting my rendition of "Haul Away Joe." Disclaimers: 1) I recorded this on a cell phone so it's not the greatest quality (alas it's all I have), and 2) I am a dreadful singer so please don't be judgmental. Thank you.

i'm glad you posted it. i liked the tune and the picking pattern, and thought your singing sounded pretty good!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM

finally, i'll throw in an update about my piece. we had company over the weekend, so no practicing, and then this morning i cut my index finger right on the tip while slicing some bread. sigh. it'll happen eventually.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post

Nicely done guys!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 AM

Sorry about your bread slicing incident mc1! Hope it gets better soon so we can hear your new piece I managed to "grate" the top of my thumb yesterday on one of those supersharp microplane graters... fortunately it was my right thumb on a non-contact area ...
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Sorry about your bread slicing incident mc1! Hope it gets better soon so we can hear your new piece I managed to "grate" the top of my thumb yesterday on one of those supersharp microplane graters... fortunately it was my right thumb on a non-contact area ...
thanks creamburmese. it was my own darn fault as i was still a little groggy from just getting up and the bread was half frozen, so the knife slipped. i've wrecked my nails a few times on graters, they should invent some grating thimbles or gloves (probably already have). anyway, i put some polysporin and a bandaid on it, and i'm back to practicing, although the bandaid bumps the other strings at times. i passed the 500 mark in repetitions, which i guess shows that i am both a perfectionist and incredibly slow. but i figure it's all in the pursuit of better playing. i just hope that there are a few members left from the start of this thread when i post a recording.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

mc1 - I think you just have higher expectations! (some of us are just happy getting to the end with the recording button working !)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM

i did a version of get this recorded! and also started a thread in the record section seeking advice on how to better record it.

the recording can be heard here:
https://app.box.com/s/6xae198xu5mu9sau61fw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write