The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Easy way to play Hawaiian vamps?

I'd like to play some Hawaiian vamps on the guitar like I already do with my ukuleles. The old way with the 2-2-4 strums doesn't give me a chance to get to the chords, (especially in F) Is there an easy way to do this -- just pick instead of strum? Where? I'm a beginner guitar player. I've tried just playing 1st string, 1st fret for the G7, and then 5th fret barre with pinky 1st string 6th fret for the C7 but then it takes forever to get to the F and back down again for that 2nd time. I know it's easier in other keys but I want to play Waimanilo (sp) Blues in F like I usually do on the ukulele.

Oh, one more thing, I really want to keep the guitar in it's standard tuning. Thanks for any and all help. (Those I Jam with will thank you even more.)

Shirley
Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Since the G chord has open strings on the B, G, and D you can pluck those three for the G7. Throw in the first fret, first string for the F to make it a good dom 7 chord.

Then play the C7 on the top four strings: open first string, first fret second string, third fret third string, second fret fourth string.

You can now move to the F by switching the fingers on the third and fourth strings and laying down the index (holding the first fret second string) to add the first fret first string.

It will take some practice, of course, but should do a decent job.

Here's another way that will give some bottom to the arrangement. Look at the full versions of the three chords. Now look at just the fourth and fifth strings. Use just the appropriate notes on those two strings for each chord.

The town is Waimanalo, by the way, on the windward side of O`ahu. In C and with the guitars retuned:

A hui hou,
Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Fran,
Thank you so much for answering. That is what I was looking for. I've never even heard it as an instrumental -- loved it. I've heard folks singing it at local Jams and found enough of it to play it on the ukulele. No matter what I did on the guitar, I couldn't get it to sound right.
I will be practicing this till I get it right and it will take more than a little practice to get it. Glad you posted the video. It told more of the story. (plus it sounded so good) The guys at the Jams do play the guitar some time but they use alternate tuning.
Shirley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write