The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Recording King Tuner swap

Hello,

I have a RK ROS 626 12 fret, and I wanted to change my stock tuners for some Waverly's. Has anyone here done this and what if any problems did you face.

I don't really want to do a bunch of re-drilling unless absolutely needed. The stock tuners are Grovers but they are really cheap and won't stay put. Plus there is some wobble on the 5 tuner post that makes it tough to stay in tune.

The only other thing I need to replace is the bridge pins. Stock ones are "ivory" with a black dot. FWIW I don't think they are ivory.
I am thinking on going with either ebony or snakewood, try to eeek out some more sustain and overtones.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Bakerman
Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 AM

I can't offer any advice but commenting as I'm interested in this thread. I have an RK-RP10 on which I'd like to replace the tuners. I don't actually have any technical issues with the stock ones other than they look a little cheap, I think this little guitar deserves better. I'm thinking gotoh open back tuners when I eventually get to it. I like how they look.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-01-2019, 05:48 AM

Follow up.
Even though I got only one response I went ahead with this tuner swap. I am so glad I did. Prefect drop in replacement. Complete with the bridge pins, my $400 RK now looks pretty impressive.
The best part is the sound improved dramatically. Holding tune, resonance , sustain and clarity all came into better focus. I am very pleased I did this.
If you own a RK check out Waverly tuners, they are expensive,but now I can say I know why. Totally changed the sound and looks. Well worth the investment. This guitar went from okay to giant killer.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:07 AM

Could you tell me the size that you used when you replaced the machine tuners? I want to replace mine. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair