The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Fun with 2 Pickup Systems at Once

I recorded a short track on my Cargill with 2 pickup systems at once - panned 10 and 2 o'clock on my mixer then run to iMac/Garageband.

Left is a K&K Mini running to a wavefile for the Cargill in Tonedexter. EQ flat.

Right is my Baggs M80 through my Fishman Pro EQ. With upside down smile EQ style.

It picks up different parts of the guitar and I only played once (fingerpicking) but it sounds like 2 guitar parts in headphones. There were no mics used or injured in the recording of this track.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/m80td777a

BluesKing777.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Sounds very nice! It's always interesting to do this, you discover not only the tonal differences between the two pickups, but the response time and attack is different, leading to a really wide and "lively" stereo sound. It's not a very realistic sound, but it's very pleasant to listen to. Nice piece!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! I like the "expanded" sound!
Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 PM

Thanks Doug and Jim!

I am finding I really like the Baggs M80 with some EQ from the Fish like the pic below - cut bass a bit, treble a bit and mid a bit! I never used to like mag pickups much but I am glad Eric (Noledog) talked me into trying this one.... (apart from it not fitting the intended targets - my Martin OMs).

I have also had success running the M80 to the Fish and then to my Boss VE8. Lugging all that around kind of ruins the plug and play idea of the M80 though, eh? I really don't like it without the Fish EQ.....

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-28-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Way cool BK! ...such a fun palette of tone and your having a blast doing it. Thanks for letting us in on the ride, you rock!

eric
Old 08-30-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Way cool BK! ...such a fun palette of tone and your having a blast doing it. Thanks for letting us in on the ride, you rock!

eric

Thanks Eric!

Your fault, that M80 fellow.

Hey, I was doing some horse trading with guitars and bought a Baggs M1A that I spied in the shop. My friend has one and really likes it, so I am keen to try it later. (No Baggs Aligns yet in this country....)

BluesKing777.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks Eric!

Your fault, that M80 fellow.

Hey, I was doing some horse trading with guitars and bought a Baggs M1A that I spied in the shop. My friend has one and really likes it, so I am keen to try it later. (No Baggs Aligns yet in this country....)

BluesKing777.
BK,

* I had an M1A in my Lowden and liked years ago, I've since given that guitar to my son, but it worked well...I still prefer the M80 tho.

** Try ordering your Baggs Align from our AGF SPONSOR Jerry Netkin at Pacific Guitar Sales, he's a pleasure to deal with and has the best prices I've found.

eric
Old 08-31-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
BK,

* I had an M1A in my Lowden and liked years ago, I've since given that guitar to my son, but it worked well...I still prefer the M80 tho.

** Try ordering your Baggs Align from our AGF SPONSOR Jerry Netkin at Pacific Guitar Sales, he's a pleasure to deal with and has the best prices I've found.

eric

Thanks Eric!

It is better to wait for the pedals and stuff to be sold here - for example, the Baggs M1A I just bought here has a wonky lead. (I used the M80 one for now) But I will take the M1A back on the weekend, not possible if in another country! Warranties, etc are different. I have imported things that don't work before, you can tell....

Love the sound of the M1A as well as the M80! (As long as I can EQ them with the Pro EQ).

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification