The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Default **** TRADED **** Stehr Grand Auditorium - Lucky Strike RW/Figured EIR REDUCED PRICE

Up for sale is my 2011 Grand Auditorium built by Joel Stehr out of Spokane, WA. I am the 2nd owner of this guitar, and it has been in my possession for roughly 10 years. I have since commissioned 2 guitars from Joel, making a total of 4 that I own. It's time I thin out my Stehr collection to make room for other builders I admire. That's life living with GAS!

This was Joel's 50th guitar, and he used a wonderful silky Lucky Strike Redwood top. These days, the top alone would be an $800-$1000 option if you could find one. The back has some very cool "curly" figured East Indian Rosewood with Koa bindings and a leaf theme that has become Joel's trademark. Joel has made probably 1/2 dozen or more of rosettes utilizing the leaf motif, and this is the first one he had done. It is the featured guitar on his website for this model, and it is probably one of his more "famous" guitars, if that's such a thing. It's a beautiful guitar that performs well for both fingerstyle and flatpicking and is a versatile size.

Unfortunately there is one issue that I must disclose. A few years ago, I had sent the guitar to Joel because I was getting a lot of buzz on the lower frets, and I was worried it needed a neck reset. I didn't have a go-to repair person in my area, and the person I did take it too was scared to work on it, so I shipped it to Joel. It DID NOT NEED a neck reset, but instead it needed a setup and some TLC. Joel was able to get it playing in tip top shape again, he shipped it back to me and when I received it, I noticed the bottom of the cardboard box had some damage to it. When I pulled the case out of the box, there wasn't a mark on the case. However when I took out the guitar, there was a hairline crack about 3/4" (almost 2 cm) at back of the lower bout at the seam and across the wild figured grain. Somehow it was traumatized during shipping. I have since found a good luthier that is local, and brought it to her to check it out, but in the end it is in a spot where it can't be repaired. It is simply cosmetic, and it doesn't have any affect on playability or sound. The last 2 pictures will show where it is, and the last picture clearly shows it after having to zoom in quite a bit.

I originally asked for $5,800, but have reduced to $5,200.00 that includes shipping CONUS, and I will gladly give the buyer 5 day money back guarantee so long that buyer pays for return shipping if not satisfied. Joel builds great guitars and this one is no exception. First few pictures are from Joel (with permission), and the outdoor pictures were done more recently by yours truly. The only mark I can see is noted, everything else is reflections. Following are some of the specs....

Grand Auditorium
Lucky Strike Redwood top
Figured EIR back and straight grain EIR sides
Curly Koa bindings with what I would call Joel's medium or micro bevel
Florentine Cutaway
Bound Sound Port
Leaf Motif on Fretboard, Rosette and Headstock
Gold Evo Frets
25.4" Scale
1 3/4" Nut

Last edited by nootis; 10-24-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:28 PM

Wow...this is an incredibly beautiful guitar! An absolute stunner!
Christian
Old 06-15-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I forgot to mention that it comes with a Stehr ebroidered Ameritage case. The case itself is pristine on the inside. The outside is in great shape however it has signs of glitter and splatters of paint from when it was stored in our spare bedroom that was used as a craft room for my kids when they were little. I'll dig it out and post some pictures this weekend.

I also forgot that it has a K&K undersaddle pickup. I believe it once had a dual source pickup with a transducer, but I had Joel remove the transducer.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a lot of custom guitars over the years and the Stehr SJ that I bought from Joel at Healdsburg '13 is still one of my favorite looking and sounding guitars.

The Lucky Strike Redwood top and Wild EIR figuring on this GA model are really beautiful. Dan is as good of a guy to deal with as you'll find on AGF. Good luck with your sale!
Old 06-23-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
I've owned a lot of custom guitars over the years and the Stehr SJ that I bought from Joel at Healdsburg '13 is still one of my favorite looking and sounding guitars.

The Lucky Strike Redwood top and Wild EIR figuring on this GA model are really beautiful. Dan is as good of a guy to deal with as you'll find on AGF. Good luck with your sale!
Thanks Doug, I appreciate the kind words.

I took out the guitar over the weekend and played it for a spell. It is truly a great, great guitar in every way. It is set up perfectly, and the silky Lucky Strike top is about as good as it gets. For those of you not familiar with Lucky Strike Redwood: All LS redwood came from one particular tree that had been naturally felled by a storm. It fell over a small depression that left part of the log suspended in the air allowing it to naturally air dry. It was found by Craig and Alica Carter (Carter Estate), and was deemed "absolutely perfect log for guitar tops". Please Google Lucky Strike Redwood to learn more about its' history. There are many luthiers that agree that the tops from this particular tree are special. My good friend Michael Bashkin, had this to say about an OO he had built with a LS top: "add a soundboard of legendary LS (Lucky Strike) redwood, and you have a truly outstanding guitar that is exceptionally comfortable to play. LS redwood has an exceptional stiffness to weight ratio, even and straight grain with lots of cross-grain silk, and a huge, complex sound that combines the warmth of cedar with the clarity and color of spruce.". This guitar has it all folks.

I wouldn't be selling it if I didn't already have 3 other Stehr guitars, nor is this guitar inferior to the other 3 I have. I am simply needing to make room for some other builders to represent.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:51 PM

Aloha Dan
I am a fan of Joel’s work. Superb in every way.
I’ve had two SJ’s that was amazing.

What are the specs on this GA?
…Alan
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele

Last edited by palolowarrior; 06-23-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Hi (Aloha) Alan,

Additional specs not listed in original post (taken from Joel's website) are...

11-5/8" Upper Bout
9-3/8" Waist
15-3/4" Lower Bout

Please let me know if you are looking for other specs not listed, and I'll see if I'm knowledgeable enough to give an answer.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Joel makes exceptional guitars! As the owner of 2 of his creations, I know firsthand how wonderful his guitars are. Can't go wrong here--awesome woods in a guitar from a world-class luthier!

Dan, this guitar was the inspiration for the rosette on my BRW/Adi Stehr.

Beautiful guitar--GLWTS
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Hi (Aloha) Alan,

Additional specs not listed in original post (taken from Joel's website) are...

11-5/8" Upper Bout
9-3/8" Waist
15-3/4" Lower Bout

Please let me know if you are looking for other specs not listed, and I'll see if I'm knowledgeable enough to give an answer.
Depth at the tail?
Old 06-23-2022, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Joel makes exceptional guitars! As the owner of 2 of his creations, I know firsthand how wonderful his guitars are. Can't go wrong here--awesome woods in a guitar from a world-class luthier!

Dan, this guitar was the inspiration for the rosette on my BRW/Adi Stehr.

Beautiful guitar--GLWTS
Thanks Kevin. The rosette was also an inspiration for my 1st commission with Joel. I know you know guitars, and Joel has his spell on you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
Depth at the tail?
At the tail it measures approximately 4 7/8" (12,38 cm). Where the body meets the neck it's right about 4" (10.16 cm).

Thanks for inquiring Alan. I see you have a Beauregard. I've been wanting to try one for many years now. Finally had my chance at La Conner, but then he withdrew from attending. Some day!
Old 06-23-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Thanks Kevin. The rosette was also an inspiration for my 1st commission with Joel. I know you know guitars, and Joel has his spell on you too.

At the tail it measures approximately 4 7/8" (12,38 cm). Where the body meets the neck it's right about 4" (10.16 cm).

Thanks for inquiring Alan. I see you have a Beauregard. I've been wanting to try one for many years now. Finally had my chance at La Conner, but then he withdrew from attending. Some day!
Dan, I have the Beauregard listed at Cedar Rock studios. I love deep body guitars.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Just adding another recommendation for Stehr. I’ve had mine for about 9 or 10 years and it is still the richest sounding guitar I own. Good luck with this gorgeous instrument!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

What a pretty guitar GLWS! I remember playing some of Joel’s guitars at Healdsburg years back and really being impressed with them!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-30-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Just adding another recommendation for Stehr. I’ve had mine for about 9 or 10 years and it is still the richest sounding guitar I own. Good luck with this gorgeous instrument!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
What a pretty guitar GLWS! I remember playing some of Joel’s guitars at Healdsburg years back and really being impressed with them!
Thank you both for the Stehr plug. I'm currently out of the country, but this guitar is still at home sitting in my humidified closet waiting for its new owner.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Bumping this beauty up. Again, I'm willing for a week trial with a money back guarantee (minus shipping back).
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars