The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 AM
*mahoganut*

Default A trio of modern OOs

As I age I find that I enjoy the small bodies like OOs much more than the dreads or even OMs. But I'm kind of a "shape chaser" so many OOs and parlours don't make it past the first glance. "That upper bout is too elongated" or "the slope of the shoulder isn't pleasing to my eye".

But in the last 5 or 6 years I've found three that I really like. All by different builders, all with slightly different interpretations of the OO. All three are 14 fret.

The first built was by John Mayes. He's not currently building but I think his work is some the best, and I hope he is able to get back to building soon. He built an OO for me with his "Eureka" top bracing in 2011, showing it at Healdsburg that year. Lucky Strike Redwood top, 1930s reclaimed African mahogany back and sides, and a very cool mosaic inlay for the end graft and rosette. The rosette also featured a "medallion" circlet which extended into the soundhole (which was slightly enlarged to compensate). Fit and finish are excellent, and playability is perfect for me. The tonality of the mahogany with the redwood top is clear and rich.

The second built was one of two Mike Baranik built for me in 2015. We called them "the twins", as the back and sides were two sequential sets of "the tree" Honduran mahogany from Jay (BBWW). Mike built an OM with a blue spruce top, and this OO with the finest Lucky Strike redwood top I've ever seen. We wanted an "inspired by" mission / Arts & Crafts style in the appointments, so the soundport, neck-back inlay, rosette, and headstock translucent inlay have features and patterns reminiscent of that design period. The fit and finish of Mike's guitars is impeccable, and this guitar sings out far beyond what you would expect from a mahogany. Rich but controllable overtones, and a tone which seems to cut through the room without dominating.

The last was a surprise (kind of like that surprise pregnancy that you and your wife don't expect but which becomes a great joy!!). I had all the guitars I "needed" (undefined term). And all that I had promised my wife I would buy. I went to La Conner for the guitar festival earlier this month, and on Friday morning, before the festival started, in the comfortable lobby of the B&B where we were staying, a tall young guy was showing the B&B manager a guitar. He was about to tell of the kind of wood he used on that guitar, and from across the room, butting in, I said "koa!". And it surely was. Some of the nicest koa I've seen in a long time, paired with an old growth redwood top with absolute even and straight grain.

Now, those of us who like koa know that it can look like a million but the proof is in the playing. This one delivered. The luthier, Butch Boswell, now from Bend OR, had a long history of repair and rebuilding before deciding to build from scratch himself. All four of the guitars he brought to La Conner were exciting, but I couldn't keep my eyes (nor my hands) off of this one throughout the show. After the show Butch offered to ship it to me for serious consideration, and I'm nearing my decision point now (as if it were ever really in question...). Again, fit and finish are remarkable; appointments are elegant and feature the rich woods. It's very lightly built and sings like a choir boy but with a bit more depth.

The photos were all taken this morning, and while I should have taken the time to control the light and background - I was more interested in snapping some quick shots and then playing each one!

(the guitars are shifted in these two photos - end guitars swapped places)

Cheers all,

Phil
Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 AM

Wonderful trio...
00 size is perfect for me... I just prefer the 12 fret version
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

+1 on 00 size, and those are 3 beauties.

Steve
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Wonderful trio...
00 size is perfect for me... I just prefer the 12 fret version
While I like 12 fret, I find that I play better (who knows why?) on 14s. I've played some 13s I like. I do play a bit on the higher frets and this gives me just a bit more room, but it's not a strong preference!

Phil
Old 05-30-2017, 10:25 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
+1 on 00 size, and those are 3 beauties.

Steve
We love quite a few of the same things, Steve! You've played the other two... I'll bring this one out next trip!

Phil
Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Cool. I look forward to it.

Steve
Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing the story behind these three instruments and congrats on your new one...

The 00 is a fantastic size for a guitar! Like you describe, it has become one of market favorite sizes for a flat top. I currently only have one 12-fret, 00 sized guitar (Mark Blanchard Pinyon). I have another 13-fret, 00 sized custom build in the queue for late '018 / early '019 delivery...
Old 05-30-2017, 03:09 PM

Default trio OO

Wow nice trio keepem coming
Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

What a beautiful trio of double-O's!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Reading your blurb was cool with a little jazz in the background...... Guess I'll play my L00 in a little while. Tom in Buffalo
Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
Reading your blurb was cool with a little jazz in the background...... Guess I'll play my L00 in a little while. Tom in Buffalo
Cool! One of my favorite memories is Eric Skye playing the Mayes at a guitar gathering here - with John Mayes listening in! And of course it was jazz!!

Best,
Phil

Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow Phil. Beauties all! I imagine that would make for an interesting a/b session.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

beautiful Phil

now, in a little while, we need an updated photo with a mandolin sitting in the mix

d
Old 05-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Nice Trio

Nice to see you posting again Phil. Those are certainly three gorgeous guitars. I do love the look of Koa.

I'm like you Phil. I feel very fortunate and happy with the guitars I have now, and certainly have more than enough to play. However, I still have a deposit with Mike Baranik that I know will get the best of me eventually. I just need to decide what would compliment the guitars I already own.

Have fun with your threesome!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop