The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2020, 11:59 AM

Default Reaction Videos

I've been going down the metaphorical rabbit hole on youtube recently of watching Reaction videos. If you've not seen them, their premise is that someone sits in front of a camera and plays a video of a famous song to themselves and shoots their spontaneous reactions as they listen.

Some stop the video and made exclamations about what they've heard. Some don't stop the videos, but wait 'til the end.

Yes, some are suspect ["I've never heard the Beatles. I've heard OF them..."] and some say "My parents had some albums but I never listened..."

After having seen a couple of dozen of these [Gimme Shelter, Soul Sacrifice, With a Little Help From My Friends a la Joe Cocker, Pink Floyd's Time, etc.] it occurred to me that musically, I was really lucky to be raised on the artists who fell out of my radio and turntable. They really were exceptional.

One guy listened to Stairway to Heaven and was blown away. Afterwards he said "Now I know why some of you folks don't like the music of my generation..."
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 PM

I like the ones that feature street musicians who go on to blow the crowd away. I just watched one of a fellow who did "Blackbird". Just wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDsR80Spkn8
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM

I think I've watched every one of them on youtube. I searched for "reaction to" "first time listening to" and "first time hearing". Great to see that they recognize what real music and creativity is.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Default I play Blackbird too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford52 View Post
I like the ones that feature street musicians who go on to blow the crowd away. I just watched one of a fellow who did "Blackbird". Just wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDsR80Spkn8
It's amazing though, the distance between my competence and his excellence.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-23-2020, 12:34 PM

I watch them too and have read about the legal problems involved. Copyright issues come into play and fair use rules come into play. Court cases have seemed to divide these videos into two categories – those with edited clips and commentary and those that show the clip with no commentary. I would think it is harder to defend the latter.

The authenticity (of the reactions) of many of these videos is suspect to me, but there are also many that seem to be honest. The obvious purpose of reaction videos is to monetize them. Nothing wrong with that, but some of the reactions (acting) in these videos is very transparent.

We all remember the early days of reality TV and finding most (if not all) was scripted. I think, for the most part, YouTube reaction videos fit this bill as well.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM

There's a Youtube channel called FBE that has a lot of "kids reacting to..." and "elders reacting to..." videos. I've not watched them in a long time, but I used to really like them because it was all about the reactions. Nothing about it was mean-spirited (at least the ones I've seen), and no one belittled anyone else because "I can't believe you don't know this..." It's all in good fun, and the ones I saw were pretty clean.

I also love the "try not to laugh - dad jokes" too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNs...index=75&t=41s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73D9...W6r34&index=66

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 01-23-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM

I've seen those and the reactions seem way over the top making them hard to believe. I like this one, which the band Cake did, getting people on the streets mixed reactions to their new single: https://youtu.be/X5KmB8Laemg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic