The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-22-2022, 09:41 AM

Default Taylor - Mismatch Between FB Radius and Saddle?

This video says some Taylors come with a Tusq saddle that's radiused at 9.5", while Taylor's fretboards are radiused at 14".

I measured my '14 Ltd and (stock) it's got the "wave" saddle, not the standard Tusq one show in the video, and it appears to be the proper radius.

Any Taylor-focused readers have any intell if there is such a mismatch on at least some guitars, and, if so, why Taylor would do that?
Old 06-22-2022, 09:55 AM

I generally raise the saddle on the middle strings a bit to get the lowest action without buzzing. That is accomplished with a saddle that has a smaller radius than the fingerboard.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Not that it particularly matters to your question, but Taylor acoustic guitar necks are made with a 15" radius (not 14" as the guy in the video says).
Old 06-22-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I generally raise the saddle on the middle strings a bit to get the lowest action without buzzing. That is accomplished with a saddle that has a smaller radius than the fingerboard.
That makes sense, though my first less-than-informed thought upon reading it was, "wouldn't that make for uneven finger picking?" My second thought was, "no, having the strings less in-plane with each other should make it easier to pick individual strings."

Another voice is a luthier local to me, who takes the position the saddle and FB radius should match to be "ideal" to "play consistently across all of the strings," and that a curvier saddle yields a more "awkward" feeling/playing guitar.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
Not that it particularly matters to your question, but Taylor acoustic guitar necks are made with a 15" radius (not 14" as the guy in the video says).
True.

I also double-checked my '14 Ltd, and checked my '10 GC5 (bought used, but looks like the original tusq saddle), and both seem to have saddles that match the FB radius.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That's a very interesting response John. Through trial and error I have ended up doing the same thing simply because it always seems to be the D and G strings that buzz first when lowering the action. So rather than raising the action across the set I thought "I'll just radius the saddle at 14" on my 16" radius fretboards. And it seems to do the trick.

I haven't got the maths clear in my mind but I wonder if when bending a curved surface (adding relief to a fretboard) the effect at the egdes is different to the effect in the middle? And this is why having the middle strings sitting up a little works? I'm not sure about this as I have trouble picturing what's going on.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 06-26-2022 at 04:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair