The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-26-2021, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

A homemade reflection filter or more accurately, isolator.
Well done
Need, inspiration, and a grain of salt, lead to some very useful inventions.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Default The little foam basket

Thanks Festo!

I needed that after getting my little foam butt kicked so terribly on this one. Ha.

As might not surprise, sure, you can hear remnants of the hard parallel walled room sneaking in the front of the basket but, its much less and more diffuse, instead of the hard immediate plasticine flangy smack of the stark first reflections. That's all I was really trying to do for now - its a dry polished turd now instead of a wet one, and sometimes you have to choose the lesser of the evil turds.

Thanks man,
Phil
Old 03-26-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First understanding that IMO ("I'm not in need of broadband absorbtion, just some mids and highs." ) is a mistaken belief.
There is no way to actually isolate a microphone from low mid and low end mud created by sound bouncing off untreated walls, which can in fact because of multiple reflections still effect the the front area of the mic.
Simply attempting to attenuate the mid's and highs coming from behind the mic , will do little about the most significant source of presence robbing mud from the low mid's and low end That's just the physics of sound wave propagation.

That said and if I am understanding your post ? I am guessing you might be interested in something like this
I have never used one, but it looks like it could at least help with some of the first reflected sound coming from behind the mic.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...le-vocal-booth

Tried a couple of those a few years ago (I reviewed them on the forum in some thread I did at the time). Artificial sounding results and I returned them. Perhaps more suited to recording a vocal only.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-26-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Someone released something like a couple of years ago - looked like a big eyeball. Lined with foam. I'm guessing they are out of business now.

You are still mistaking the problem that the reflections you are trying to block all come direct from your guitar to the 'foam bucket' - as others have already said, the sound waves from your guitar bounce all over the room, and can eventually head straight for the front of the mic.

Two gobos made with rockwool set up in a V in font of you will do far more than any foam device you construct. And you can use them elsewhere, or store them in a closet when not in use.
That would be the Kaotica Eyeball. Still in business, and still claiming "Transforms ANY space into a recording studio". Isn't that what we're all looking for?

https://www.kaoticaeyeball.com/
Old 03-27-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Tried a couple of those a few years ago (I reviewed them on the forum in some thread I did at the time). Artificial sounding results and I returned them. Perhaps more suited to recording a vocal only.
Yes I looked at these when they came out (never tried them). But I suspected they might be limited in application and I agree probably a reasonable alternative for voice over .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-27-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
That would be the Kaotica Eyeball. Still in business, and still claiming "Transforms ANY space into a recording studio". Isn't that what we're all looking for?

https://www.kaoticaeyeball.com/
Interesting product, When I click on this site....I can not get the sound to come on.
* One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to not use soft foam windscreens that pull over the mic. (hopefully these are made with hard foam)
Soft foam deteriorates and gets into the wire mess of the microphones screen. This might take several years as it breaks down. It is tiny particles that can not be really seen. Never the less it clogs the screen a bit and hinders the sound. Actually happened to me with my old u87.
** I have always wondered about a product like this. There are some theories that putting isolation screens too close to the back of the microphone effect the sound by disruption of the microphone polar pattern. Some Omni microphones have rings that can be attached to the microphone to change their behavior in frequency response and polar pattern. Here is a Gefell 221 with an optional sphere that can be taken on and off easily.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Interesting product, When I click on this site....I can not get the sound to come on.
* One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to not use soft foam windscreens that pull over the mic. (hopefully these are made with hard foam)
Soft foam deteriorates and gets into the wire mess of the microphones screen. This might take several years as it breaks down. It is tiny particles that can not be really seen. Never the less it clogs the screen a bit and hinders the sound. Actually happened to me with my old u87.
** I have always wondered about a product like this. There are some theories that putting isolation screens too close to the back of the microphone effect the sound by disruption of the microphone polar pattern. Some Omni microphones have rings that can be attached to the microphone to change their behavior in frequency response and polar pattern. Here is a Gefell 221 with an optional sphere that can be taken on and off easily.
Maybe that's intentional?

I have the same level of interest in them as I do the seven-toed lady at the carnival.

It shows what marketing can do, though. How else can you get someone to send you two hundred bucks for 50 cents worth of foam shaped into a sphere?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD