The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Got to hand it to Taylor. They are doing a great job making wood guitars that come close to the sound of real carbon fiber.
Now that's a good one !!! LOL
Old 09-26-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Biker, Congratulations, and IMHO there's nothing to feel terrible about as the Taylor 816ce is a beautiful-sounding and beautiful-looking guitar with plenty of tonal prowess and headroom--Enjoy! You will, however, have to appease us carbonites by buying another carbon guitar to make up for your affront to this forum!

Ha! No can do there. I have so much carbon stuff it's crazy.

I think the reason I feel bad, is because the X30 was the most expensive, and yet one of my least favorite. I'll never sell it like I did my other X30. This one's appearance alone makes it a permanent guitar, and one that I will pass down, along with my RainSong. I just wish I could get her to feel nicer.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
DWB, I was just cracking a joke. We all like what we like. My guitar models are different from yours. I had a RainSong Shorty - liked it until I bought that first Emerald (a previous gen X7).

Ah ok. I was actually hoping for some magical insight.

I know when I got my RainSong, I didn't really care for any of them until I tried out that Black Ice Jumbo. That one sold me instantly.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got to hand it to Taylor. They are doing a great job making wood guitars that come close to the sound of real carbon fiber.
Thanks for the belly laugh! I like my Emeralds and my Taylors... I guess I have "a type."

As far as being "looked up to"... my dear ol' departed Mother occasionally told me: "Well, if nothing else, you can serve as a bad example."

And, "insight"? I know what works for me, but that doesn't qualify me to tell anyone else what they should buy. There are a lot of great guitars being made today, and unlike Scott, I'm not trying to buy all of them.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent

It’s a great time to be an acoustic guitar player. There are quality instruments available for pretty much every budget and taste, whether you’re a died-in-the-wool traditionalist, or looking for something a little more innovative.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-27-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I think most wood guitars sound kinda in between standard- and vibrant-weave Emeralds.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmitestar View Post
I think most wood guitars sound kinda in between standard- and vibrant-weave Emeralds.
Only the really good ones.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

This evening, after a driving day...

I did feel a little dirty when I was done... but that was due to dirt blowing in the wind from some grounds construction on the far side of the RV park.

Yes, a wood guitar. As usual, the Blonde had a hand in the acquisition.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I did feel a little dirty when I was done... but that was due to dirt blowing in the wind from some grounds construction on the far side of the RV park.

There’s a nice looking Emerald 12er in the classifieds right now.

Just sayin’
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-29-2022, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
There’s a nice looking Emerald 12er in the classifieds right now.

Just sayin’
Is that the one RP decided to keep? I had my eye on an Emerald X7 12-string with a lovely veneer that they had in stock last May. Before I could make a decision, someone snapped it up.

Seems that there had been some 12-string discussion in our household around that time. I may have said something like: "Sure, find me a 652ce WHB Builder's Edition..." knowing that no one had one in stock at that time. I was wrong - she found one. Phone calls were made. I had some MF rewards and a good discount code.

The Blonde is supportive of my guitar passion, but I would be hard pressed to convince her that I need another 12 string. Heck, I would be hard pressed to convince myself.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that the one RP decided to keep? I had my eye on an Emerald X7 12-string with a lovely veneer that they had in stock last May. Before I could make a decision, someone snapped it up.

Seems that there had been some 12-string discussion in our household around that time. I may have said something like: "Sure, find me a 652ce WHB Builder's Edition..." knowing that no one had one in stock at that time. I was wrong - she found one. Phone calls were made. I had some MF rewards and a good discount code.

The Blonde is supportive of my guitar passion, but I would be hard pressed to convince her that I need another 12 string. Heck, I would be hard pressed to convince myself.
No, there’s another one to tempt you.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654331
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
No, there’s another one to tempt you.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654331
Looks like a nice, classic X20-12. For someone.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Captain Jim, you've just convinced me: I'm selling my house and going nomadland, Bro--That's The Life For Me!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-30-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Captain Jim, you've just convinced me: I'm selling my house and going nomadland, Bro--That's The Life For Me!
Even with a house, we have maintained a wandering lifestyle. We are seeing more and more people (especially families) that have moved full-time into RVs. People being able to work remotely and home-schooling their kids. It isn't for everyone, though.

I am married to a wonderful woman who likes to have a house somewhere. We did live onboard our boat for a while (after we first retired) and later divided time between a house, the boat, and an RV. These days, we go out in the motorhome for several months at a time (usually to get to some good motorcycle riding or go see our kid in Arizona for a couple months). I would be fine without a house. Even if she were to go along with full-time RV life, where would I put guitars, amps and PAs?? That's a "Sophie's Choice" I wouldn't want to make.

Shortly after selling our last cruising boat, I came across a motorsailer that had been sitting in a marina near our house. A bit of work, and it would have been a good over-the-horizon and don't look back kinda boat. The price was good, as the couple who owned it had aged out. I took Joan to see it. She looked at what would be needed to bring the boat up to our usage and said: "You can do that with your next wife."

She picked out our current motorhome... downsized from what we had before, to make sure (my supposition) I didn't get any ideas about full-timing in it. This motorhome makes a comfortable "escape pod" for getting away when my feet get itchy. We're a good balance: after a couple months out, she is ready to go home for a while... after a couple months at home, I am ready to go somewhere else for a while.

Umm... seems I got off-topic once again. To bring it full circle: when I put away that lovely 12-string yesterday, I said to my wife, "Next trip out, it will be the X7's turn again." But, I don't feel even a bit dirty by enjoying a nice guitar, wood or carbon fiber.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

"O, Captain! My Captain!" Captain Jim, I had to do that, or I wouldn't be me. Thanks, for your perspective on one foot a roamin' and the other anchored. I don't think my wife wants to go on the road full-time or part-time as I would do given my 'druthers but I can dream. Then again, being that I'm now retired, my contant presence at home just might prompt her to give me a temporary grant of absence every year.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber