The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-06-2022, 09:09 AM

While we're discussing language usage, why do we, "Drive on parkways and park on driveways?"

And let us not forget the differences between American and British (the Queen's?) english.

And one of my favorite quotes, "Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language." Or something like that ...

Best,
PJ
Old 03-06-2022, 03:28 PM

True story relayed to me by a Boston police officer around '68.

Many years ago when the emergency call number was installed and activated, it was known as "nine-eleven".

Subsequently, this had to be changed to be referred to as "nine- one -one" (9-1-1) as people in emergencies were tripped up and "couldn't locate where the 11" (eleven) was on their phones!!!!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-06-2022, 03:41 PM

Why aren’t apartments called togethers instead..?
Old 03-06-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
How bout when you're in some difficulty, you are said to be: "up the creek without a paddle"!
This was the example I used to explain why I bought a CA Guitars Cargo back around 2008 or so - as long as I had my guitar with me, I had that paddle.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-06-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
My wife and I grew up in different countries.
Once, early in our marriage, I came home upset about something.
I told her I was pisst. She asked, "what have you been drinking?"
In the UK, the word you mentioned definately means "drunk" , however if one adds the word "off" then it would indeed exporess your state of upset.

There are, of course many strange terms for intoxication - and in Cockney rhythming slang it could be "elephants" = elephants trunk = drunk, but you mentioned term would be understood in any company - also "tight".

In German, intoxication is called "blau" (blue!)
Old 03-06-2022, 06:23 PM

Here's a phrase I can't stand: "It's got there there"
I heard some marketing guy use this in a meeting once.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
True story relayed to me by a Boston police officer around '68.

Many years ago when the emergency call number was installed and activated, it was known as "nine-eleven".

Subsequently, this had to be changed to be referred to as "nine- one -one" (9-1-1) as people in emergencies were tripped up and "couldn't locate where the 11" (eleven) was on their phones!!!!!!

I have a friend who works dispatch at the PD, and another who works switchboard at the local hospital...

Both tell me they've lost count of the number of people who've called them asking "What's the number for 9-1-1 ?".
Old 03-08-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In the UK, the word you mentioned definately means "drunk" , however if one adds the word "off" then it would indeed exporess your state of upset.
I have an amusing anecdote that relates to the difference that little 'off' makes. At age 23, I was living in Pamplona in the north of Spain and teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). I had an American colleague with whom, at one point, I shared the same student, a rather tall, sombre-looking businesswoman who always wore dark suits. We called her 'The Dark Lady.'

One day, Walter, my American colleague, came into the staffroom after a class with the Dark Lady: "Man, was the Dark Lady (he used the 'p' word) today!" I gazed at him in amazement. I couldn't believe it - the Dark Lady drunk??

I learned something about the subtle differences between American and English usage at that moment!
Old 09-13-2022, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

"Hey, I've got an ideal" Fellow air traffic controller
"Mute point" Finance Dept. Supervisor
"Pay that off in the rears" Finance Dept. Supervisor
"Irregardless" Common
"I could care less" Common
"I seen that movie" Occasional

In some medical/legal training I attended (conducted by senior personnel with 20+ years of experience), some of them referred to a causal factor, a condition that causes another illness/injury condition. Hearing my superiors consistently gloss over this as "casual factors" made me wonder if they had any actual idea what they were reciting to us from the book.

I try not to be too picky, and I don't correct people. But these examples, in particular, are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-13-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
Visiting an alternative farm/school in New England around 1970, I helped a few of the students dig a hole. At dinner one of the staff asked me "did you spell one another?" I was dumfounded and stammered I didn't know what that was. She explained: each works for a spell while the others wait their turn. In the midwest we'd call it "take turns."
Haven't heard 'spell' used that way since I worked in the shipyards in Scotland in the 70s. So Scotland as well as New England.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:10 PM

Another English vs. American one:

Some years ago here in Miami, I was involved in a bump on the road for which I was given the ticket, together with costs and fines. I told my financial advisor back in England that I needed her to release some funds because I'd been in a 'fender bender.'

When I returned to England a year later, I mentioned this incident, and she seemed to know nothing about it. She knew I played the guitar, and must have known that Fender was a guitar maker. A 'bender' in English-English is when someone goes out on the town and goes crazy with alcohol, but the expression could be applied to any reckless, indulgent behaviour. Anyway, by 'fender bender,' she'd thought that I'd gone a bit crazy buying guitars and needed some funds for everyday living!
Old 09-14-2022, 01:47 AM

Gear? An alcoholic drink drunk by ventriloquists.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Interesting post, I’ll have to stew on this awhile.

I shoot a lot of clay targets and when someone makes a good move on doubles it’s common to say nice pair. I’ve seen some interesting expressions when a new lady shooter is told “nice pair” for the first time on the range.
Um, do you "shoot clay targets", or shoot at them ?
Just saying,
Old 09-14-2022, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Another English vs. American one:

Some years ago here in Miami, I was involved in a bump on the road for which I was given the ticket, together with costs and fines. I told my financial advisor back in England that I needed her to release some funds because I'd been in a 'fender bender.'

When I returned to England a year later, I mentioned this incident, and she seemed to know nothing about it. She knew I played the guitar, and must have known that Fender was a guitar maker. A 'bender' in English-English is when someone goes out on the town and goes crazy with alcohol, but the expression could be applied to any reckless, indulgent behaviour. Anyway, by 'fender bender,' she'd thought that I'd gone a bit crazy buying guitars and needed some funds for everyday living!
I'm British, and still trying to work out " I was involved in a bump on the road for which I was given the ticket, together with costs and fines.
with great respect, I'm wondering why you created a bump in the road, (was it one of those "silent cop" so called traffic calming devices?) and what materials did you use and how exactly were you involved?

Why were you given a ticket (assuming that you were a member of the road maintenance team, and was it all fine?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-14-2022 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm British, and still trying to work out " I was involved in a bump on the road for which I was given the ticket, together with costs and fines.
with great respect, I'm wondering why you created a bump in the road, (was it one of those "silent cop" so called traffic calming devices?) and what materials did you use and how exactly were you involved?

Why were you given a ticket (assuming that you were a member of the road maintenance team, and was it all fine?
Truck or Lorry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic