The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-15-2022, 08:09 AM

I broke so many bones as a child that I was taken aside at the ER once and questioned about whether my parents were abusing me (they weren’t; I was just very active and very slight).

I broke both wrists falling out of a tree, my ankle on a trampoline, my knee playing football, both ankles playing football, a finger sailing, my ankle jumping a fence and cut off the tip of my finger and broke the next two while sailing. Not to mention several dozen stitches.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:34 AM

I did twice. Once, when I was a child. The other time, was when I had a fall as an adult. Not a good feeling!
Old 09-15-2022, 12:20 PM

Twice for me, too. Considering how many times I fell out of our chinaberry tree playing Tarzan as a kid, I'm surprised it wasn't more.

First time, I was in junior high. It was after lunch and I was playing basketball with a few guys, chased the ball and slammed into someone coming the other way, with my right hand in between. Hurt like the dickens, but the school nurse wasn't there that day, and when I showed it to the assistant principal, he said, "Probably a sprain," rubbed some alcohol on it and applied some cloth tape. Barely managed to get through the rest of my classes, but when I got home I repeated the "looks like a sprain" evaluation to my parents when they expressed concern about the swelling. Somehow I stifled the pain, managed to make do in classes and fend off further parental investigations for a week before my mom said "A sprain shouldn't take this long to heal...you're going to the doctor." Xray showed a spiral fracture of the middle metacarpal. Doc said it was already healing, not quite straight, but a re-break to align it properly might cause unneeded pain and possible splintering, so let it heal the way it is. Thus my right hand today has a slight hump instead of a concavity in that middle metacarpal, and yeah, it twinges a tiny bit when the weather changes (but not nearly as much as it did years ago).

Second time, little toe on my right foot. Did it just weeks before my wedding in 1984...I was having back issues at the time, so I was hobbling around bent over anyway and slammed my foot into a studio easel. Doc taped it next to the neighboring toe, and I wore clown-shoe size 14 patent leathers instead of my svelte 12-AAs with my rented tux at the wedding ceremony.

So far, that's all. Not really hoping to have any future expansion of broken-bone experience, but life happens...

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 09-15-2022, 01:33 PM

Yes, I broke my nose - twice. The pain is pretty strong for a few minutes, but it subsides after awhile. The scary part is how much blood pours out; it seems like gallons while it’s happening.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Somewhere in the mid 20s for me. I'm very good on crutches.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:47 PM

I broke my hooter when I ran into the back of a van at the age of 8. I suspect I've broken various toes over the last 20 years kicking solid objects about the house.

Apart from that, me bones is intact!
Old 09-15-2022, 02:11 PM

man, some of you guys sound like evel kenevel level
Old 09-15-2022, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I broke my ankle skiing while on shore leave in the Navy. They almost gave me a medical discharge for it. As much as I did not like being in the Navy I didn't want to be discharged for a broken ankle that I got skiing. I appealed it and instead I got transferred to six weeks of GE T-58 jet engine school. That's the only broken bone I've had.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-15-2022, 03:57 PM

1979 - motorcycle hit by car.

Undisplaced fractured shoulder blade
Pelvis - bed, no standing for 2 months
Femur - K-nail inserted, later removed
Ankle - Pott's fracture, pins, screws and wires, later removed
Toes - left to heal themselves, joints are fused.

10 weeks in hospital - total of 40 weeks off work.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-15-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:39 PM

Default Manly breaks. Every one.

I broke two bones in my left arm/hand the summer between 9th grade and 10th grade.

Left radius bone (a "green stick" fracture) came first. My brothers dared me to climb a step ladder that was set up on a raft at my parents' lake house. Seemed like a great thing to jump off of and into the lake. The raft was a slab of decking tied with clothes line to 4 empty 55 gallon drums. When I got up there, teetering precipitously all the way, they began to gleefully rock the raft with the intent of pitching me off. It worked. Coming down out of control, I missed the lake. But not the deck. Luckily, I only broke one bone in one arm.

Five or six weeks later, after the cast came off, I was playing sand lot football. Tackle, no equipment, some smaller kids like me, and some more skilled large High School varsity players. Like, for instance, the starting fullback; a good guy that was a friend of mine. I got flattened in my middle linebacker position about two strides behind the defensive linemen. My friend the fullback came charging through the hole and stepped on my left hand, edgewise (thumb up, little finger on the ground. broke at least two metacarpals. I withdrew from the fray, stuffed my left hand into my left front jeans pocket, and hitchhiked about 3 miles back in to town to the office of my uncle, the Orthopedic surgeon. He was the doctor who had told me "And NO FOOTBALL for at least a year" when he sawed the cast off my forearm.

He was not pleased, but he cut the pocket off my jeans to free my very swollen left hand, put on a cast and wagged his finger at me a bit before he sent me on my way. Only two blocks to my house and my parents love. Without an x-ray machine, one cannot tell that any bones in my 76-year old arm were broken.

It was always somewhat of a marvel to my parents that I never got my skull cracked by a victim of my unkind wisecracks. They're both gone now, and I don't crack wise anymore.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

My kids have had several small breaks: they each had broken bones in their wrists (5 total), all caused by falling from monkey bars. Those all happened around the time of this zombie thread. My daughter also banged the sofa leg with her toe and possibly broke her finger (I think they did a splint, but can't remember if we x-rayed it or not).

While my kids have gone for quantity, I went for quality... breaking my femur in a nasty car accident on the way to work... black ice, slid into the other lane on a curve, pickup truck coming the other way... nothing either of us could do to prevent it. I was pulled out with the jaws of life, and that accident changed my physical health permanently, as I've struggled with mobility, weight gain, and had to have several additional surgeries. I don't have many regrets, but if I could change one thing, I would have called in sick that day. It's also a big reason I moved west a few years later... I never plan on driving in snow/ice again.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Broke my left arm twice as a kid, a bone in my hand from a fight as a teenager and a cracked rib from wrestling freshman year of HS.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-15-2022, 05:30 PM

I broke my big toe slipping on a wet floor. That was sheer agony. My now ex-girlfriend (thank heavens ) couldn’t stop laughing as I was literally crying in pain.

I broke my wrist in two places after a slip coming out the shower. That wasn’t particularly painful but I knew it was broken straight away due to the numbness. I was in a cast for nine weeks.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I notice that this thread goes back to 2015, and on the fostn page was a comment from Chicago Sandy.
She was very supportive to me in 2017, whemn I was diagnosed with throat cancer.
She had cancer too.
We haven't heard from her for a long time.

Does anybody know about her?
Old 09-15-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I notice that this thread goes back to 2015, and on the fostn page was a comment from Chicago Sandy.

She was very supportive to me in 2017, whemn I was diagnosed with throat cancer.

She had cancer too.

We haven't heard from her for a long time.

Does anybody know about her?

Last post on her blog was 4/21:

https://sandyandina.com/home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic