The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-04-2022, 10:03 AM

Default tuners for resonator

I bought a used Michael Messer resonator which is great, but I'm having just some small tuning issues, not by much but I thought I'd change over to a new set of tuners to help with a bit better tuning stability. Can anybody recommend me a nice set of tuners besides waverly that are good tuners? Waverly seems a bit expensive
Old 10-04-2022, 08:00 PM

What I found on a Google search was 3-on-a-plate tuning machines are used on some of these guitars. What do you have on yours?

I've replaced tuning machines on several instruments. I've used Schaller, Waverly, Golden Age, Rubner and Grover. I have or had Gotoh and Pingwell tuning machines on a few instruments too.

Of all my couple dozen stringed instruments the good old Grover Rotomatic's really perform the best.

Replacing tuning machines is usually going to require some modifications to the headstock, especially if you're changing from one brand to another.

Before you replace tuning machines, make sure the ones you have are mounted correctly and lubed.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I put some gotoh 510 open back tuners on a Recording King RM991 that I have, made a world of difference. Several varieties of these are available, they are individual tuners.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:42 PM

I would recommend Gotoh tuners. I’ve had the best luck with them.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments