The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-04-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Gas is three-something here in South Carolina, and I use Hi-Test...

I saw on WSJ where it was almost $7 in California...
Hmm...

That's all...
Old 10-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

People used to look at me like I had antlers growing out my ears when I told them that the first time I began shopping for a Gibson Les Paul in 1974, a used one was priced at $200. I began saving up and went back six months later - they were then $200. Six months later, $250. I saved and chased the price until 1977, when I sold my previous electric guitar in order to be able to achieve the price I had seen last - $400. I was offered a gig in a hot band and HAD to have a guitar. I had $425 to make sure I could cover taxes. I walked into one of the big dealers in my home town and, you guessed it, the cheapest one they had was now $450, without the 6% taxes.

I begged the sales guy to take my $425. He went back to the manager's office, explained the situation, and pointed to me. Thank goodness the manager knew I had been in there for three years trying to get one. The manager waved his hand like, "Get him out of here." The salesman came back and said he could do it, but would have to change out the Gibson case of a Univox case. I took it and played it with great results in that band.

I've still got that guitar. The years of saving made an impression on me. I did track down a correct case for it. But think about it: $200 to $450. That's an increase of 225% in three years. In the last eighteen months, people have begun understand what living in an inflationary economy was like.

By the way, that $450 would be worth $2,199.29 today.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Hmm...

That's all...

-Mike
Old 10-04-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post

-Mike
Never doubted you - or WSJ - for even a second...

Let's just leave it at that...
Old 10-04-2022, 08:11 PM

Why would anyone ever doubt Rupert Murdoch?
Old 10-05-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
The push for electric vehicles is very naive. There is a guy that gave a really good TedX talk on them a few years ago and it takes about 400,000 miles to get to where it is the same carbon footprint as a gas vehicle due to how they are built. On top of that I work in the power grid and it has not been developed to allow for that amount of charging power to flow. Not to mention there are already areas (one of them is your state) that have frequent blackouts and brown outs and that’s without adding a large load of supporting E vehicles. To reduce their pollution they’d be better off implementing a good land management program to curtail the wildfires since 1 acre burning is around the equivalent of 5.000 cars running for a year.
I respectfully disagree.

Since the TED talk that you are referencing is a few years old, it is likely no longer accurate.

The sources I read suggest that "break even" on emissions related to producing and operating electric cars is, overall, about 179,000 miles, and declining rapidly (the primary variable being how electricity is being produced where the car is being manufactured, and then driven: areas that rely on coal and oil produce "dirty" electricity, whereas areas that produce electricity using renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, and solar panels produce much cleaner electricity). Regardless of the current status of electricity production where you might drive an EV, there is no denying that there will be a profound shift in favor of cleaner electricity in most locations, especially if we are talking about the US. So that will lower the "break even", probably quite dramatically.

And since the shift to EV's is proving to be gradual (though picking up speed), the current problems with brownouts and blackouts can be addressed over time, and should not be regarded as a huge problem or insurmountable obstacle to EV's being more popular.

Regarding your comment about "good land management practices"...well, we don't have to choose: we can undertake both the shift to EV's, and try to improve land management practices. However, with climate change, the phrase "good land management practices" is not nearly as straightforward as the words imply.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Why would anyone ever doubt Rupert Murdoch?
Well, his "news" channel is "fair and balanced", so by association, he must be as well.

On the other hand, "fair and balanced" might merely be an advertising ploy. After all, "unfair and unbalanced" probably wouldn't attract as many viewers.

Last: wouldn't "personal experiences and opinions about inflation" be a more accurate title for this thread?
Old 10-05-2022, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Comment deleted.

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 10-05-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
Well you live in California which has incredibly high taxes on everything. The cheap gas for my area was in November and December of 2020.
The push for electric vehicles is very naive. There is a guy that gave a really good TedX talk on them a few years ago and it takes about 400,000 miles to get to where it is the same carbon footprint as a gas vehicle due to how they are built. On top of that I work in the power grid and it has not been developed to allow for that amount of charging power to flow. Not to mention there are already areas (one of them is your state) that have frequent blackouts and brown outs and that’s without adding a large load of supporting E vehicles. To reduce their pollution they’d be better off implementing a good land management program to curtail the wildfires since 1 acre burning is around the equivalent of 5.000 cars running for a year.
My suggestion is you consider newer information, and how grid matters are in different depending on locations, the utility firms, municipalities, and their state's utility regulators.

For examples, I have to be on top of this as an infrastructure manager in a small enterprise. The 3 utilities that serve us are very different in how modern and capable they are. We have the whole enterprise on renewables programs now but it was a several years difference in how soon they were ready. One of the 3 utilities is looking at and planning for the home and vehicle to grid well ahead of others same time representatives from another know nothing about it. This is not one size fits all.

We have our totally off grid charging taken down at moment for a municipal building code matter, but it worked great the 1/2 year it was up and should be better when the next generation is back. One of our utilities sees that as competition while another welcomes it because at some point it will likely help them manage peak demand.

For this inflation topic, we see future and cutting edge power and transportation options as cost management and control matters.

For the EV topic I've posted before and will post again the to me excellent and somewhat recent article on possible outcomes. (follows here). As a company we will continue with EV and hybrid purchases for the cost management and because where we are located oil, gas, and coal has to be imported. Our Entech off-grid system just has to sit there. Of course some are going to be offended by our strategies because we are being smarter and more secure with a longer range outlook. Our smart utility firm in one city sees is as a future partner for peak demand. Our more bass backwards utility firms see us as competition because they are slow and behind the competition.

Are Electric Cars Really Better for the Environment - now a year old but still good for their taking the possible outcomes view, and with data to support the article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/are-ele...nt-11616423226
Old 10-05-2022, 01:20 PM

OPEC did not help matters today.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Well, his "news" channel is "fair and balanced", so by association, he must be as well.
Pretty sure they quietly dropped using that moniker couple years ago

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-05-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
OPEC did not help matters today.
Definitely didn’t help in the short run. Longer term, higher gas prices will slow consumption, and (all else being equal, which it never is) reduce inflation.

This “taming inflation” concept is much trickier than it might seem. Inflation is present throughout the globe, in part because the things most affecting our inflation are the result of global dislocations in supply and demand. Not sure most people realize that truth, and it’s significance.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Pretty sure they quietly dropped using that moniker couple years ago
Do they have a new one ?
Old 10-05-2022, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

In my own purchasing in Southern California, the items I purchase (or at this point, used to) have increased by 20-25%. Items that were 1.99, now 2.49. Groceries aren't taxable, but other items are, and of course the sales tax is more, given that the item prices are higher. More money for the state.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 10-05-2022, 07:51 PM

I paid $3.49 for gas at Costco this past Tuesday. I live in Ohio... Yeah it's not California but the cost of living is an advantage.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic