The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2017, 01:57 PM

Default ISolo and iRig pickups

Anyone compare either of these directly to a known good, common PU? The iRig is $49. That's something in and of itself.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Default ISolo and iRig pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Anyone compare either of these directly to a known good, common PU? The iRig is $49. That's something in and of itself.

I have ditched everything in favour of iRig.

I have a soundhole pickup with soundhole condenser mic I thought was pretty good until I tried iRig acoustic stage. iRig acoustic is just for recording, the stage version is for gigging and recording but gives you much more scope for recording.

Here's a demo I did of iRig, it actually makes regular condenser mic'd obsolete - in fact it makes everything obsolete. Nothing I tried sounds this good. I have been playing over 30 years including gigging and recording. Had electro acoustics, electro classical, soundhole pickups, fishman piezo and preamps.

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM

I compared an iRig Acoustic Stage with a small diaphragm condenser mic.

Picking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BJ...ature=youtu.be

Strumming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3h...ature=youtu.be

I've not used for live performing, but as a pickup for recording I think it has it's uses.

Advantages:
inexpensive and easy to move from guitar to guitar

doesn't have the generally undesirable UST pickup sound

Sounds more or less as good as my example of popular lower cost SDC mic (Oktava M-102), particularly on softer picking attacks.

More isolated from environmental noises than an external condenser mic

Disadvantages:
Doesn't look rugged and I'd be wary of using it in many live environments

No internal mounting option, wire to strap/belt pack will be draped outside of the guitar.

It's a mic, so it will pickup some (louder) environmental noise.

Because it's an internal mic, there is obviously no ability to mic in stereo or to use distance micing techniques.

Might sound boxy with heavier strumming on some guitars

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks for those demos. I am also (early stages) looking for a pickup for a 12 string that I'm looking to purchase and to replace the pickup system in my Maton. The iRig certainly does sound more natural than the other pickup in those demos. How does it compare with a Baggs Element?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 PM

I've been watching these threads with interest - I thought the iRig acoustic was interesting but didn't like that it seemed to rely on the app with a iphone or ipad. This newer stage model, from most demos posted and others I've found, seems to do reasonably well. I did come across this, however. It's a comparison done by Fran Guidry, a frequent contributor to this forum and who's opinion (and playing) I respect a lot. As a non-professional player it seems like a great uncomplicated option but it really doesn't sound that good here, in my opinion.

Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 AM

I got an iRig Acoustic Stage last month to use it with my classical guitar, I also have a DPA 4099G and a Schertler Dyn-G (so I will compare them all for anyone interested) but was intrigued by iRig´s one-button feedback canceling and that it doesn't need phantom power (well it runs on batteries), also is pretty cheap for not to give it a try.

The good:
the feedback button works quite decently, it goes louder than the DPA but not as loud as the Dyn-G
Its very easy-fast to install remove, the DPA is also pretty quick once you have it assembled, the Dyn-G definitely needs more time to set-up and some blue-tac skills.

How it sounds:
I find it a little thin and harsh in the high end, even on the warm setting - natural or bright settings were way to harsh for my guitar (which is a pretty warm sounding spanish made classical btw), but I was able to fix that with some EQing.
It is far less detailed and rich than the DPA (well it is the 1/5 of the price also), but it sounds more natural than the Dyn-G (which needs more EQing to sound decent).

The Bad:
Its pretty cheaply made, the cable, the knobs, everything screams "I´m falling apart!".

All in all, almost any SDC will sound better and more natural if you are interested in recording, mainly because of the placement, but there are some pretty decent affordable mics out there. Its not sturdy enough for any kind of serious work (no wonder why nobody is using them :P), and the feedback knob will not solve all your problems if you need to play loud.

If you just want something easy and fast to do some basic recordings, maybe plug in your acoustic to jam with some friends, or do a coffee shop gig, then its okay for the price.

For me? I sent it back after one week!

Konstantine
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I've been watching these threads with interest - I thought the iRig acoustic was interesting but didn't like that it seemed to rely on the app with a iphone or ipad. This newer stage model, from most demos posted and others I've found, seems to do reasonably well. I did come across this, however. It's a comparison done by Fran Guidry, a frequent contributor to this forum and who's opinion (and playing) I respect a lot. As a non-professional player it seems like a great uncomplicated option but it really doesn't sound that good here, in my opinion.

IRig acoustic relies on a 4 pole 3.5mm input so yes iPad is number one but there are adapters that iRig make for other applications.

IRig stage in the other hand is completely independent of that, it uses a USB cable to hook to any computer and a standard 6.35mm jack to an or PA.

I thought compared to any soundhole pickup or piezo system it wins hands down in terms of sound and performance, the only thing that beats are more expensive responsive condenser mics.

I use iRig stage for live and recording. I didnt bother with iRig acoustic as that's really a recording only product. I keep my soundhole pickup with built in goose neck condenser mic as a back-up. I offloaded all my piezo fishman guitars a while back. I just did not like how they sound, especially acoustically with that cutaway.

It's only let down for me, and time will tell, is that cable looks fragile, but so far so good for me.

I think iRig is a great product but I would like to see more robust cable and I don't like the 2.5mm moulded jack - it's not very cross compatible - try finding an adapter.

It would be much better to see proper 6.35 mm jacks or even 3.5mm (iRig acoustic uses a 3.5mm 4 pole)

Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

All the comments here are for the IRig, has no one tried the ISolo? From the online demos I've seen it seems to be in a different class altogether in terms of construction and tone - as it should be at $300.00 + - and it's wireless to boot! I'd love to hear about someone's personal experience.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
All the comments here are for the IRig, has no one tried the ISolo? From the online demos I've seen it seems to be in a different class altogether in terms of construction and tone - as it should be at $300.00 + - and it's wireless to boot! I'd love to hear about someone's personal experience.

I have an iSolo and I really love it. But I've never used an IRig before so I can't compare. The "tone" I get with the iSolo is **** near a perfect mic'd guitar sound. The mic I use at home for recording and screwing around is a Rode NTK, which I think really amplifies the correct tones coming about of my acoustics, the little iSolo is pretty **** close. Pretty amazing little mic. No latency problems at all. I can say it's better sounding than any of my active or passive pickup systems installed in any of my guitars right out of the box. I can get close with my onboard pickups but it takes good preamps and sometimes another effect box to get there.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 PM

I've had the iSolo for about 6 months now and I love it.
It's the best sounding PU I've ever used or even heard.
Especially for a solo player or even in a duo or trio. Once you get into a full band setting you may have feedback issues but I would think not much more than the K&K. I've had K&K, JJB, Schertler MAG6 & S-Mic and there is no comparison to the quality of the iSolo. The icing on the cake is it's wireless. You can get about 3 hours charge out of it depending on what gain setting you have it set on and you can also charge while you are playing.
It's is a bit pricey but considering you don't need a preamp with it and you get the recording feature, it's well worth it in my opinion.
I've been playing mostly electric for the last few months so have been toying with the idea of selling mine and then I plug it in and think nah!!
The one thing I do recommend is a good eq to use with it. I have an Empress ParaEQ and it works great with the iSolo. I also have a Boss GE-7 and that works really well with it too. I wish they were available for people to try as I think that would convince people that it's worth the money.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM

I just had a look at the iSolo, it looks very good, if it sounds as good as the iRig I am tempted to try it, the iRig wire looks flimsy so if it does break, I will look at trying one

Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Can the ISolo receiver be battery powered? I'm looking for a system I can use entirely without access to mains to go along with my battery powered Sunburst Gear and Elite Acoustic amps.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Can the ISolo receiver be battery powered? I'm looking for a system I can use entirely without access to mains to go along with my battery powered Sunburst Gear and Elite Acoustic amps.
The receiver needs power but it can be powered by a small power bank.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post

I have to say, I'm getting more and more interested in the iRig Acoustic Stage. At the very least, it seems like an inexpensive way for someone with a cheap acoustic-electric to take advantage of the little preamp's blender and add some mic to their amplified sound. It would probably also be a reasonably decent (or better) solution for direct home recording.

I guess that I'm just really impressed that this little rig seems to do so much for such a small price (having paid double the price or more for the Lyric system and the MiniFlex2Mic). Perhaps there's a catch, but I'm not hearing it in these recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification