The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Build thread - The Wedding Slide

This one's going to be a little different - I thought it would be fun to share the story of one of my recent bespoke Wolfram Slides creations here.

Here's how it started...

"Hello Wolfram people.

I am a keen slide player and have heard much about your fine tungsten slides. The thing is, I am not able to afford to buy one, and have even been banned from shopping in music shops for anything other than guitar strings. My missus thinks I apparently have enough toys.

Here's the thing. I am getting married next year, and have decided that the best wedding ring I could want for, would be a small remaining section of a guitar slide. It would mean custom making a slide, with too greater length, and then removing the excess, and making the edge neat so it would serve as a great wedding ring. The ring and the slide would therefore be part of one another, being reunited when playing......how beautiful is that?!?!
All I need to know is if this is something you are able and willing to do.

Warm regards"

Able? Yeah!

Willing? Hell, yeah!!

To be continued...

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

To most people, a guitar slide is something you pick up off the shelf, for a few bucks - and, in most cases, it is. But, just as there are great luthiers making astonishing guitars, there are a (very!) few of us who think that a slide can be so much more. We work with glass, ceramics or metals to create individual slides that are tailored for our clients. The combination of different materials, sizes, surface finishes and weights can all have a profound effect on the sound - even the colour of a glass slide can affect it's sound, due to the different additives and their effect on the hardness and density of the glass!

I have chosen to work with solid tungsten carbide which combines many of the properties of both metal and glass in one slide. Twice as dense as steel; nearly as hard as diamond - this stuff is really difficult to work with! But the results are spectacular.

I wanted to share an insight into the design and engineering that goes into our bespoke guitar slides - this, along with the space-age material, is what makes them special.

I'll post the story of the Wedding Slide over the next few days - while this is a bespoke design, exactly the same engineering and hand craft goes into every single Wolfram slide. I hope you enjoy and find it interesting - any questions, please ask away!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wedding Slide

The wedding slide is a great idea and I'm looking forward to watching this build thread.

Even though I don't play slide very much, I invested in one of the first Wolfram tungsten carbide slides. The quality of the slide is remarkable and the sound is noticeably better than my other slides. The weight of the slide is hard to imagine until you hold it in your hand.

I liked the tungsten carbide material so much that when I needed a new wedding ring recently, I purchased one made out of tungsten carbide, but with a black ceramic band running down the center.

Regards.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 07-09-2015, 01:21 AM

That guy is a genius. Now I wish I played slide just to get something as awesome as this!! Bet you must be stoked to embark on such a project.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop