The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Default Laptop processor for recording

My 10 yr old laptop has finally had it.

I need a new one, it won't be used for internet, just recording and video editing, maybe the odd game.

I'm not bothered about hard drive size, need at least 2 gig RAM, but processor speed is probably key. Do you think a dual core would be sufficient, or should I push the boat out and get quad core? That will mean an extra 200 quid.

I've never had an issue with XP but I undrstand its being phased out this year. I hear Vista is one to avoid, so I'll probably go with Windows 7.

Buying 2nd hand.

I'm running an old version of Cakewalk guitar Tracks Pro 3, maybe it won't work on a 64 bit machine?

lots of considerations, thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Check the software you are planning to use. It may well not make full use of multicore anyway. Most (all?) use at most one core per track (mono or stereo). Processor speed may be more important than the number of cores. That said you should have no problem running a few tracks on most any newer laptop.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM

If you're hoping to do video I'd really recommend holding out for a recent i7 processor with its video extensions. The latest generation of video software responds much better to these chips, giving real-time multi-format playback on the timeline.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 AM

A few thoughts on your post:

- Without knowing your budget, it's really tough to make specific suggestions.
- If you want to buy another laptop that will last 10 more years, I'd go with 4GB+ of memory
- As others have said, clock speed will matter
- You can buy a brand new Haswell-based i7 laptop (not Apple) for around $12-1400ish. That's going to be one of the very best Intel quad core chips available. That, for me, would be my benchmark when it comes to pricing used laptops - if someone wanted $1000 for a used two year old laptop, forget it! Might as well spend the extra $200-$400 and get latest and greatest. But if they wanted only $500, well...
- RE: Cakewalk - no clue. I haven't heard of anyone using that in many, many years (I used to use it) but the only way to know if it will work is to know your OS.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 AM

I second the suggestion of at least 4G of RAM. 6G is even better.

Look at Reaper as your next DAW. Free to download and try out, $60 to register. Full featured, not CPU-intensive until you run a ton of VSTs at the same time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

I bought a mid 2013 retina mac book pro for 1200 on clearance when the late 2013s came out.If you wanted a mac i would not go with the 4/256 as it just won't last 4 years I would go with a desktop with a i7 and at least 8gbs of ram.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 is Windows XP or Vista (32 bit) only. Update to version 4 and you can use Windows 7 32 bit. Or switch to a different DAW

Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm presently using Mixcraft with an Asus running Windows 7 and an I5 processor. My interface is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. The i5 is more than capable for what I have been doing. The I7 would be better.

My only issue has to do with Windows 7 and my 2i2. I'm not sure if it is related to Windows 7 or if it is something with the interface, but I often have to reboot in order to get sound out of the speakers. The settings don't change but if the system goes into sleep or gets shut down for the day, I have to reboot to get it to work properly.

It's rather annoying...

Todd
Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I'm presently using Mixcraft with an Asus running Windows 7 and an I5 processor. My interface is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. The i5 is more than capable for what I have been doing. The I7 would be better.

My only issue has to do with Windows 7 and my 2i2. I'm not sure if it is related to Windows 7 or if it is something with the interface, but I often have to reboot in order to get sound out of the speakers. The settings don't change but if the system goes into sleep or gets shut down for the day, I have to reboot to get it to work properly.

It's rather annoying...

Todd
If you have motherboard audio and you are not using it (you have a soundcard) try disabling it. Remove or disable audio drivers you do not use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD