The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually another thread discussed this (I said the same as you basically). It seems that the correct way to do a set up on a Taylor is to leave the saddle alone and adjust the neck shims.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but......
Well, it was the Taylor service center so they should know what is best.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 08-23-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

The correct way to adjust action for a Taylor with the NT neck is with the shim adjustment, as the OP had performed. It is not recommended to sand the saddle lower on NT neck models, per Taylor.
The info used to be on the Taylor website, and included in paperwork with a new Taylor, also easy to confirm with a call to Taylor customer service.

d
Old 08-24-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually another thread discussed this (I said the same as you basically). It seems that the correct way to do a set up on a Taylor is to leave the saddle alone and adjust the neck shims.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but......
If the relation between neck and saddle is such that the action isn't quite what you want (and assuming the relief is correct), then there are two alternative options:

1. Adjust the height of the saddle. For most guitars this is the only sensible option because the neck is fixed, and a neck reset is major surgery.

OR ...

2. Keep the saddle height fixed and adjust the angle of the neck slightly (the emphasis here being on 'slightly'). The design of the modern Taylor neck is based on this notion, and it's perfectly feasible because the neck can be removed, re-shimmed, and replaced in a matter of minutes.

So it does make sense, and several of my Taylors have been set up in this way to suit me. It's just not the traditional way of approaching the problem.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:40 AM

In a neck reset for Taylor guitars, will there be a gap after the reset, where the end of the fretboard joins the body of the guitar?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
IIRC, Taylor guitars after a certain date have bolt-on necks. A reset, using Taylor’s neck-shims, is reported to be possible in about 20 minutes...
I have an appointment next week to have my Martin's neck reset by a local authorized luthier. It had setups in 1999 and 2018 and the saddle is down to the bridge. It will take a couple of weeks depending on his workload, and $500.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I have an appointment next week to have my Martin's neck reset by a local authorized luthier. It had setups in 1999 and 2018 and the saddle is down to the bridge. It will take a couple of weeks depending on his workload, and $500.
That's not bad for a guitar that was made in the 1960s.

On the op's experience, wouldn't any guitar of any brand play optimally if it is properly set up to one's playing preferences by a good tech? It doesnt seem to me to be a quality inherently of a Taylor to play well after a good set up...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion