The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Hi Stuart--Fabulous looking work! Wish I were going to Memphis. Quick question for you: I see you are using X-bracing, which is frequently said to be smoother and more supple, better and perhaps warmer sounding out of the box. But have you built much with parallel bracing? My sense is this may be a bit stiffer early on, perhaps "not where the market is going." But would love your thoughts and observations on the tonal differences. All best, Richard
Hi Richard, Thank you.

The amber guitar in this thread is actually a parallel braced instrument. But I am by far more experienced with X-bracing.

Basically you have it about right. Although I dont put too much into the whole "opening up over time" discussion. I think all guitars at this price-point should sound great out of the box. And all instrument change over time.

But basically, in a nut shell, the X-brace is not as stiff as a structure longitudinally. So the top needs to be slightly thicker, which takes more energy to drive and cuts down on the sort of percussive quality. In addition the brace is transferring energy to different point on the top, opening up the area behind the bridge, and allowing the top to move differently. All culminating to produce a more mellow, balanced, instrument that (In my personal opinion) is more versatile, has more depth and more overtone richness and is also a little easier to amplify.

Parellel braces on the other hand give you a lot more longitudinal stiffness which allows you to make a lighter , thinner top which means less energy is required to drive the top. The result is that you lose some base response due to the stiffness but end up with a more percussive, louder, and more dramatic tone. Harder to amplify I think but for many people it embodies that quintessential archtop sound.

This is all generalization though. I have seen guys make very light and thin tops with X-braces and I've seen some nice warm arch-tops with parallel braces because there is a lot of other factors.

The instruments in this thread represent very different goals. The amber is a parallel brace I built and voiced to be percussive and kind of old timey. The natural instrument is X-braced and a little heavier than the other two with the hopes that its just a nice versatile guitar. The black top with the red/brown burst is a thinner body, x-braced and will be getting an inset hum-bucker in order to be more of an electric archtop with some heat.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 PM

Hi Stuart--Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply, and sorry for my clumsiness in overlooking the parallel brace clearly shown in one of the photos! What you say here fits in closely with what I've heard elsewhere, which is that parallel bracing is what you might expect for a Freddie Green kind of sound, but as with so much else on this forum, there are a thousand other invisible decisions a luthier makes that determine the final outcome. I'll bet these instruments sound terrific and if I'm in Pittsburgh will definitely shoot you a note. All best, Richard
Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM

well, Memphis is just around the corner and after a bit of a break from posting (finish work isn't much fun to watch) I'm not starting to get the final assemblies wrapped up on these guitars.

The first one is the black top. Shes a firecracker! This client sent me the custom made kent armstrong pickup to have inset into the top. shes fast, loud, got some spirit and super fun to play. I was having a lot of fun playing it along with some freddie king earlier today.

I'm a tailpiece adjustment and a final polish away from putting this one in the case.

I should have the other two wrapped up by the end of next week if all goes well.

the quality control inspector approves
Old 05-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

That turned out great!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Ok, here are the first round of nice pics of the first guitar that is 100% finished.

This is the only one of the three, going to memphis, that is still available.

This is what I would consider to be that "base" version of the new model. With the exception of the arm rest this is what you would receive if you ordered a Steel city with no options.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:39 PM

That is beautiful and I am not a maple fan as a rule, but that is outstanding. The fit and finish look perfect. I am sure you will not be bringing this home from Memphis if it lasts that long! Beautiful job.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is beautiful and I am not a maple fan as a rule, but that is outstanding. The fit and finish look perfect. I am sure you will not be bringing this home from Memphis if it lasts that long! Beautiful job.
Thanks so much! much appreciated. I hope you're right
Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 PM

the rest of the gang. Headed to Memphis next week. If you will be at the guitar festival be sure to stop and say hello.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking great! Excited to see them and you next week!

Mike
instagram
Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 AM

Wow, what a beautiful set of guitars from one to another. Each has its own attributes and is wonderfully brilliant. Personally, I love the inlay you did in the Art Nouveau styling especially how you brought in from the headstock to the pick guard et.al. Fantastic.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 PM

Default sound clips

thanks everyone for the kind words.

Here is a link to a youtube video of the natural one being played by an insanely talented Ken Karsh. Ken teaches jazz guitar at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh in addition to his various gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V9af8oCXW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pid7dEBdgmI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop