The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Switching out humbucker

Okay so I am looking at this MIM strat online - I want all 3 pickups as single coil and on this one, it has 2 single coils and a someone installed a humbucker in the bridge - how hard is it to change out the humbucker for a strat single coil??? It's only 250 and it's exactly what I want aside from the humbucker . Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 PM

Has it been retrofitted or did it come from the factory as HSS?

In any event the cavity at the bridge end is now bigger so a s/c will fit in there no worries.

You will need a new SSS pickguard but ones in white or basic patterns/colours come pretty cheap. Not a biggie.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

Last edited by saxonblue; 01-28-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Most non-custom-shop Strats come with a "bathtub route," a route that allows any combination of pickups to be fitted. All you need is a new pickguard that is configured SSS. You pull your parts from the HSS pickguard and assemble them onto the SSS pickguard along with the single coil pickup and hey presto you are in business. Just count the perimeter screw holes in your pickguard and order a replacement with the same number.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Just as easy as swapping the pickguard over with single coils already installed.

Buy some copper shielding (two sided) and put inside the cavity while the pickups are out. Made a huge difference on my Telecaster as single coils can get noisy. I bought a roll of copper guitar shielding for like $10 on Amazon. I would provide a picture but photobucket is down right now, maybe later.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Just move the electronics over to a S-S-S pickguard. Also, as Bob said, count the screw holes to make sure you get the right pickguard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars