The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM

I have heard sound samples of some of the Laney Lionheart and they sound great, but do not know the ticket price. The blues Jr is what I have and the cleans can't be beat, not to heavy grab and go amp and plenty of volume to fill a small venue. Takes pedals and stomp boxes well. Cost is a bit above your budget new, but used is well under and it is tune able to your style. After market speakers are easy to install and help with depth and projection. Around $399 used in good to better condition!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 01-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I have heard sound samples of some of the Laney Lionheart and they sound great, but do not know the ticket price. The blues Jr is what I have and the cleans can't be beat, not to heavy grab and go amp and plenty of volume to fill a small venue. Takes pedals and stomp boxes well. Cost is a bit above your budget new, but used is well under and it is tune able to your style. After market speakers are easy to install and help with depth and projection. Around $399 used in good to better condition!
Thanks, it seems the BJ gets a lot of love here.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Smile

J-12R Ampeg Jet ll, 15 watts of pure tube glory and lush reverb. I put in an Eminence speaker and had the caps replaced. A work horse for 20 years now, has 2 el84s and 2 12ax7s, bought mine for $200.00 used in 1996

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 01-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Thanks, it seems the BJ gets a lot of love here.
Yah, it's a great little amp. Had one for a while before I decided that I wanted to go in another direction. You will not find a richer, more beautiful clean or wetter reverb for that price anywhere, and it does take pedals very well. The OD works well at very low levels but then just gets muddy--but heavier tube drive is not what you get the Blues Jr. for. Really can't miss with one of those.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:

I can say that a Champ in any configuration does not have the juice we need. Silverface and Blackface would come closer than a Tweed, but not by much. My wife is playing harp through a Champ 600 RI and it stays dimed much of the time. 3.5 watts through an Astatic JT30 is very loud as harp mics push amps much, much harder than a set of HB's or P90's are capable.

I appreciate you contributing though.
It really depends on the situation. In a clean situation, 2 guitars, one bass, up on a tall stand, I've worked it alongside a Deluxe Reverb RI. I was definitely "on 11" and there was nowhere to go from there, but as long as the folks you're playing with are playing "with" you, as opposed to over you, it works.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:14 AM

I am far less experienced than many of the other guys on this forum, but I am very satisfied with my VHT Special 6 combo - does everything I need (in combination with a TC Electronic Nova System multieffetcts unit) for my personal practice and rehearsal with the band (not a loud band, mind you). A very solid unit, in my opinion, especially at the asking price.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:07 AM

Default Fender X2 Super Champ

Someone else suggested this and he's right, it's the smoothest and cleanest tube amp you'll find for under $400.00, to really make it right just buy it as a head/speaker set up, amp and speaker cab separate, then you have 15 watts with a 12" speaker instead of the 10" that sounds absolutely incredible and it's only $500.00 all the time.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM

The Fender Deluxe Reverb is probably the coin-of-the-realm when it comes to portable club amps. It is a 1 X 12 listed at 22 watts, but that should be close enough for government work. The Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a very good sounding amp as is the slightly smaller Princeton Reverb (1 X 10, 15 watts). You should be able to find a used one of either in your price range.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Default Used DRRI

I don't think he'll find neither the DRRI or the Princeton, unless they're worn out, for under $500.00, which is his ceiling limit.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up the Vox AC10 on sale at GC. Really nice little amp. If you had one and liked it I don't think you're going to find anything better in that price range. Easily has enough volume for small gigs.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Not sure of the price range you're in, but Carvin makes good amps:

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/v3mc

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. For right now I may use a modeling pedal () straight through the PA.

When the time comes I will look at the Blues Jr, revisit the AC10, Carvin Vintage 16 and the Laney Cub 10. I really prefer simple.

Thanks again.

Roy Alderman

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. For right now I may use a modeling pedal () straight through the PA.

When the time comes I will look at the Blues Jr, revisit the AC10, Carvin Vintage 16 and the Laney Cub 10. I really prefer simple.

Thanks again.

Roy Alderman
I would go that way as well. I do that and it works out just fine. We musicians are a lot more critical of our tone than the audience is.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 PM

You didn't mention if you had a cab, but if you do this would fit the bill. Light enough to be easily portable, switchable 20, 5, 1 watt, a USB and headphone jacks for quiet playing or straight into a DAW for recording.

Right at your price range, but the tax will push it over the top a little. They sometimes have open box returns for closer to 4 bills.

There is a matching cabinet available (MF doesn't carry it surprisingly), for $300.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
Someone else suggested this and he's right, it's the smoothest and cleanest tube amp you'll find for under $400.00, to really make it right just buy it as a head/speaker set up, amp and speaker cab separate, then you have 15 watts with a 12" speaker instead of the 10" that sounds absolutely incredible and it's only $500.00 all the time.
Not sure about the Super Champ .... and I'm a big Fender amp fan.

I think the Blues Junior gives you a much more authentic Fender tube tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
laney cub 10, tube amp for small gigs, vht special 6, vox ac10