The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Default Repair question about Taylor.

Any idea what would cause this? I don't think there is any kerfing damage, so it just looks like either the wood let loose in this spot or the binding, not sure. I have not seen this guitar in person yet. But may buy it if everything else is in order.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM

Excessive heat can cause this (I've seen it happen)

Don't know what else. Probably dryness.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Looks like an easy fix for the factory techs as they can spray a coat of finish over it after it's re-glued.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Hope its not dryness or heat, this guitar comes from someone that makes a good living playing guitar, and this one has been in a case for two years. The separation was discovered when he took it out of the case to take pictures for sale. Don't want to talk price but it is very good. Crazy good.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Sometimes body binding separates from the guitar body it's binding. On older instruments it's generally due to expansion and contraction of the wood. Sometimes there's a problem with the material of the binding degrading in some way. (As when it's been in contect with skin that has been slathered with DEET insect repellent, which eats all sorts of plastic materials as well as repel mosquitoes...)

In either case, it's generally an easy fix and a relatively inexpensive repair. with Taylor guitars you'd have the added expense and trouble of dealing with the poly UV finish, but there are ways around that.

whm
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Sometimes body binding separates from the guitar body it's binding. On older instruments it's generally due to expansion and contraction of the wood. Sometimes there's a problem with the material of the binding degrading in some way. (As when it's been in contect with skin that has been slathered with DEET insect repellent, which eats all sorts of plastic materials as well as repel mosquitoes...)

In either case, it's generally an easy fix and a relatively inexpensive repair. with Taylor guitars you'd have the added expense and trouble of dealing with the poly UV finish, but there are ways around that.

whm
Good info, the finish is intact just a matter of getting it tucked back under the binding, or ignoring it. The real question is one of whether a gs6 in other wise perfect condition is worth the asking price which I can not say here I do not think.

My goal is to somehow convert this grab into a GC

FWIW my repair guy says he can fix it most likely for not much at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 PM

So here is the million dollar question. What is this guitar worth? It's only fault is the binding spot, which is about 1/4 of an inch. I am probably going to buy it tomorrow but need a fair price. It is a 2008 model.

Thanks or any help.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Is that moisture damage from a leaky damp-it?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Looks very similar to what is happening with my 2002 Taylor K10. Took it to the local Taylor repair guy and he said it could be a number of things - binding shrinking, wood "breathing" were the two I can remember. Got it in three or four places where the back meets the binding. Tech said it would be about $40. to fix it right now, but to wait for it to get worse. "Easy fix," he said, so I'm going to wait - it's all on the back anyway.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Can't tell 100% definitively because of the photo, but it looks like the back is lifting a bit above the level of the binding. Is this true? If so, there is a good chance that the guitar took some damage (drop to the ground, perhaps) that impacted the side near the bottom of the guitar. The sides are flexible, to an extent, and so is the binding. So it could be bumped and show no sign of cracking. However, some damage could have occurred to the glue joint (back/linings/binding) and this would explain the lifting top. If this is the case, then the joint (back/linings/binding) will need to be reglued and clamped for a proper repair.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair