The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Pre-Shaped Bone Nut for Taylor?

Does anyone know of pre-shaped bone nuts for Taylor guitars? There are pre-shaped Tusq nuts, so I would imagine it would be possible to make pre-shaped bone nuts.

Since the local tech did a hack job at installing bone nuts on my guitars, I'm thinking of trying it myself. If I had something that was pre-shaped and pre-slotted (at least the start of the slots, like on a Tusq nut), I think I could do the final work necessary to fine-tune and install it.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF786 View Post
Does anyone know of pre-shaped bone nuts for Taylor guitars? There are pre-shaped Tusq nuts, so I would imagine it would be possible to make pre-shaped bone nuts.

Since the local tech did a hack job at installing bone nuts on my guitars, I'm thinking of trying it myself. If I had something that was pre-shaped and pre-slotted (at least the start of the slots, like on a Tusq nut), I think I could do the final work necessary to fine-tune and install it.

Thanks!

Mark
I doubt very much that you will be able to buy an 'off the peg', drop in, pre-shaped real bone nut for a Taylor. Tusq nuts are moulded, so it is an easier process to produce. Bone needs to be shaped and 'fettled' for a perfect fit, and in that respect, no two guitars are exactly the same. There are many suppliers of bone nut blanks, but of course that's not the drop in solution you require. Filing and fettling a bone nut for correct thickness, height, width - and all sides parallel and perpendicular (or not as may be required) is a good tech or luthier's domain - as you found out with the mess your local truss rod twiddler made of it last time. Even Bob Colosi's bone nuts come oversize and (quote) need to be fitted by your local luthier or tech (in your case, that doesn't apply, go further afield!). In short, making a good job of fitting a nut is a not a beginners job. The finished article is right there in front of your eyes, your hand will feel every sharp edge, and the accuracy and quality of the slots will greatly affect how well the instrument tunes and plays. If you're not sure, get a good, well recommended tech to do the job.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Call Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair