The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-27-2019, 08:28 PM

Default Flatten the bridge slot bottom?

Hi all, the Graph Tech saddle itself is dead flat on the bottom but I feel the bottom of the saddle slot in the bridge is either uneven or it's becoming convex under string tension. Doesn't rock when pressed on either endsitting in there... The piezo is also revealing stronger D, G and B output. Is there an easy way to DIY or check this myself? I've heard a few segments of a razor blade or box cutter knife scraped flat at the bottom of the slot can show any high spots?
Its just my spare guitar but will take it to someone if need be but I'm quite handy so want to try myself first
Thanks,
Clint
Old 08-27-2019, 09:00 PM

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Levelers.html

I find these invaluable. Even if the saddle bottom is flat, how much does it really matter when the slot floor is uneven?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Levelers.html

I find these invaluable. Even if the saddle bottom is flat, how much does it really matter when the slot floor is uneven?
Yea thats what would work. Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 PM

Your symptoms are contradictory. Strong piezo response on the middle strings means the saddle is not contacting on the ends, yet you have no rocking endwise.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Your symptoms are contradictory. Strong piezo response on the middle strings means the saddle is not contacting on the ends, yet you have no rocking endwise.
Yep hence why i think the bridge itself may be becoming too convex under string tension. What you think?
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 AM

That is the other contradiction. Force on the saddle is downward, which, if anything, will cause the saddle slot to go concave, not convex. The bridge is supported on the ends by the X braces.
A much simpler way to deal with uneven response from an under saddle pickup is to selectively scrape the saddle bottom under the 'hot' strings.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That is the other contradiction. Force on the saddle is downward, which, if anything, will cause the saddle slot to go concave, not convex. The bridge is supported on the ends by the X braces.
A much simpler way to deal with uneven response from an under saddle pickup is to selectively scrape the saddle bottom under the 'hot' strings.
Ok thanks John, that would make more sense when you think about it. I was under the impression that it convexed with the whole top being pulled up as i thought i heard one of my guitar techs once say he uses a little jack inside the guitar to hump the bridge to compensate and shave the bottom flat.
I actually superglued paper shims under the quiet strings which did the trick. I have shaved the loud ones tho in the past
I even in the past tried to fix the issue by sanding a big radius on the bottom of the saddle so it contacts on the endpoints.
Its also i believe that the LR Baggs Piezos are quite flat and dont squish quite like those round fishman types.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bridge, output, saddle, slot, strings