The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
Really like this Gretsch...The 5620 is just too heavy for my taste...
At around 7-1/2 pounds (nearly two pounds less than the 5620/5622) one of these might do the trick:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5655TCBRR
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 PM

this also was in my radar but same person warned me off about being very aggressive and not really suited for rhythm playing....which is why i really would like to try before buy & go home loving your choice.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 PM

You might take a look at this - http://davesguitar.com/products/gret...signature-red/

I played this at Dave's in November, it was not has heavy as the bigsby models. You could easily change the pickguard and truss rod cover if they are not to your taste.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM

man you got to check out Schechter's they are just great... finger candy , great looking. the more I play them well I am sold . was playing a schecter and a PRS yesterday one then the other really the schecter was just as good . every one I know are buying one.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Sorry. Misposted
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM

My first decent guitar was a red Coronado II that I played for a couple of years with my first band back in the late 60's. Frankly it wasn't considered to be the coolest guitar to own at the time but I was young then and wasn't all that aware of what was good what was not so good so I just played it through a black faced Bandmaster and thought I had found Nirvana. The big downside for me with that guitar was its awful tendency to feed back at even moderate volume levels. It was so bad that I would have to turn the amp to face the back wall and stand on the opposite end of the stage hollering out amp setting adjustments to the key board player. I hear the new ones aren't like that. Glad to hear it.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 01-06-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I tried a Coronado last week; it wasn't bad for the price ($800?+/-), just not what I was looking for. It was plugged into a sweet old '72 tube amp.

The neck profile was more to my liking than the Gretsch models. I've just about given up trying Gretsch.

I think I will be test driving hollow bodies for a long time before I find the one to bring home. Or I have to up my budget.

yours in tune

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-09-2015, 09:00 PM

tried the same coronado from my first post and just didn't grab me the same way although I did really like the neck. part of the problem is that tryin' is as much fun as buyin' is at times. it is an addiction this gas stuff.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
tried the same coronado from my first post and just didn't grab me the same way although I did really like the neck. part of the problem is that tryin' is as much fun as buyin' is at times. it is an addiction this gas stuff.
Why I try to delay the gratification (purchase). It's helped me make the right choice and sometimes no purchase at all.

I haven't tried that guitar but found some less than $1000 guitars seem to have much nicer (better) build quality. I had a PRS SE semi-hollow that was in a whole other league than Epiphones as an example. Over time it seemed like every one of those PRS SE was great finish, physical build and hardware compared to many others but the guitar style or tone wasn't always my thing.

FWIW: Full Compass has good prices and their headquarters has a show room. They've had less expensive Gretsch, Ibanez, and Vox guitars that seemed very nice. Working with a sales rep and not just click add to cart is how you get those prices. I see they have a Coronado in stock but I haven't touched it. I'm trying to keep in the mindset that I'm set for life right now.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Default Fender Coronado

My 66' Coronado I came with the Coronado II neck. It only has binding around the body. It was sunburst, as a 25 yr old I stripped it back to the curled maple and put 2 DeArmond 2000's in it, adding a tunomatic bridge. I played it thru the amp that I bought with the guitar, a Silvertone 1471. Paid $100 for both, bought out of an attic. I am 2nd owner, I do believe it was Sears bought initially.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM

Happened to click on this thread & was surprised to see that I had started it! Ultimately went with a reverend flatroc which I love but now looking for an inexpensive semihollow. Probably an epi.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Coronado

In the 80's I bought a Coronado and a Silvertone 1471 (for $100) out of attic storage and put a pair of DeArmond 2000's, a new nut and a tune - o - matic bridge on it. Had it set up by a pro and it played like a dream. It was a bit beastly about feedback, as it is a true hollow body, even thin like it is. I've read that some people would stuff their ES330's (hollow as well) with cloth.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Happened to click on this thread & was surprised to see that I had started it! Ultimately went with a reverend flatroc which I love but now looking for an inexpensive semihollow. Probably an epi.
I got an EPI Dot Studio used for $150, but like all Epi's these days, you've got to play it first, some are duds, some are really good.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM

My only electric with hum-buckers is a Samick Greg Bennett Royale RL2 thin line semi which is about 10 years old.

More Gibson than say Gretsch, the Royale series are amazing guitars (flawless build, beautiful to look at, play and stock pickups sound fantastic) and there is no feedback issues to worry about because the body of the guitar has a center block.

Something perhaps you could consider.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars