The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Default NGD-NAD Epi LP/Marshall

First post in the Electric Guitar section: After 50+ years of playing my many electric guitars thru Fender amps, I made the change to Marshall. What a happy day!

Originally, I was looking for a low-cost quality electric with the widest variety of tones along with a 12" combo tube amp with similar tonal capabilities to match up with the guitar. This is what I ended up with:

Sorry about the photo quality but my cellphone camera is doo-doo.

The combination of the Epi's Les Paul Pro's core-tapping Pro-bucker pickups along with the DSL15C's tonal range delivered the best sounds I have ever had in a single home setup.

The tone and sustains on the LP are incredible and along with the Marshall's output potential I'm getting phenomenal tonal range for a very low cost as I bought both used, but in mint condition from GC. The store that sold me the Epi even did a full setup for $30 complete with a new bone nut (I am left-handed but string right).

I put on some Grover 502C 18:1 locking tuners as they make string changes a breeze along with SIT PS1046 strings that I have used for decades (IMHO SIT makes the most reliable, longest lasting strings on the planet).

I am major happy with my new setup and have barely scratched the surface on available tone combinations...time will tell!

PS: Also, thinking of getting a Trio pedal to play along with as I don't plan on giging or forming a band anytime in the future. I'm looking at a used JBL EOS15 to run the bass & drums thru. Any setup or pedal advice from Trio users would be most welcome.
Marshall DSL15C (Amp)

Last edited by docliv; 01-14-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM

Congratulations. Excellent choices. I've been pondering the purchase of a Marshall amp and I think your DSL15C will keep you happy for a while. Beautiful top on that Epi, too. You might need to send a strongly-worded email over them selling you a backward guitar, though.

Last edited by Sombras; 01-13-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 PM

It's great when you get the right sound. You never want to put the guitar down.

Agreed about locking tuners. Supposedly they help you stay in tune too: the bunch of winds you need around an ordinary tuner post can absorb and release string tension.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Is that a left-handed amp?

That is a classic combo...that's a nice burst on that one.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 AM

Sweet!!! Big thumbs up

What kind of gain settings are you using; a little broken up, nice OD, or full throttle?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 AM

Hi Dru,

Here are my current settings, but this could easily change as time goes on. Also, I'm running the Marshall at 7.5w power setting.
Marshall DSL15C (Amp)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars