The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Default Guitar purchase - Found an issue

As I was finalizing the purchase of a new (to me) guitar, I noticed the bridge was lifting off the guitar. I declined the purchase and the seller, a small music store, said they would get their luthier to fix it. I gave them my number and said to call when it's complete and I'd have another look.

I'm beginner guitarist and am trying to upgrade from my first budget guitar as I've started to realize the quality effects the ability to play.

The guitar in question, a Walden G630CE, gets good reviews. It's a used instrument that the music store got on trade. The previous owner bought it from the same store last summer and traded in 4 months later for a different style.

How big of an issue is this bridge thing and is it something that should cause me to walk away?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

Considering the guitar is apparently not that old, this may have been a poor glue job at the factory. A competent luthier can repair it, but to do the job right, the bridge should be carefully removed and the old glue scraped from both the bridge and the top. It is then of course re-glued and clamped. The repair may or may not be visible depending on the care taken. You have nothing to lose by waiting to see the repair and playing the guitar to ensure you are satisfied. However, I would expect the shop to discount the price appropriately or I would keep looking.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 01-24-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM

A pro repair as outlined by Fire&Rain should not be any cause for concern.
Since the guitar is so new, it is probably a manufacturing issue. It does occasionally happen on factory guitars.....even Martins.
Regluing a bridge is by far the most common structural repair I do.
It is primarily caused by overheating the guitar.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 PM

Default Thanks

Great! Thanks for that. Really glad to hear its not a huge issue. I really like the feel, look and sound of this guitar.

I will have a good inspection and hope for a competent repair. Appreciate your reply.

Oh, one more thing. What should I look for when I inspect? Not just the bridge, but overall?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 PM

I have a g630ce and really like it. Mine's an older model with the set neck. I've had no issues with it aside from the fact that the OEM Fishman pickup/eq sucks.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MccyBob View Post
I'm beginner guitarist and am trying to upgrade from my first budget guitar as I've started to realize the quality effects the ability to play.
Nice to read that you are upgrading. Glad you survived the cheap guitar.

You are smart and correct to not purchase the one you found at the store with a lifting bridge. Eventually it would pop off, but in the meantime the action would get higher and higher.

I hope they do the job well and you get a nice guitar you can play a LOT.

-r
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
What should I look for when I inspect? Not just the bridge, but overall?
The primary concern is damaged finish on the top around the bridge. There is no excuse for it, but I do see it all the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair