The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2001, 03:19 PM

Question Crate CA125D or CA112D Opinions?

Opinions? Pros? Cons?

Really liked what I heard in the store.

got GAS?
Old 05-30-2001, 05:37 PM

Follow-up A friend who lives 8 hours away has offered to sell me his Mint California Blonde for $550. Am I stupid to even consider the Crate now?

got GAS?
Old 05-31-2001, 03:40 PM

Hi Wanker,

I'd jump at that Blonde-$550 is a great price. In my experience, the Blonde beats the Crate amps hands down. Of course, just my $0.02.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:21 AM

I haven't spent much time with the 125D, but I have a CA60 and I can say that it's not that great. It sounds ok, I've gigged with it plenty of times, but it doesn't sound that special. The bass is really kind of flabby sounding, and it kind of has a honky midrange. It's pretty full featured, though.

The California Blonde sounds like an awesome deal.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:49 AM

We have the Crate 60 and 125, purchased when we didn't know that much about amps. Wish we knew then what we know now! They make great coffee tables. Plugged in? You mean you'd plug into one of these boat anchors? Ok, I guess I'm being a little harsh. Let's just say that I have become very displeased with the performance of the Crates. Know anyone who wants to buy them?
We have the California Blonde now, and also a Fender Acoustasonic (at 63lbs!). Both are far superior to the Crates. We are very pleased with them.
Go for the Blonde!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kenliu:
<STRONG>I haven't spent much time with the 125D, but I have a CA60 and I can say that it's not that great. It sounds ok, I've gigged with it plenty of times, but it doesn't sound that special. The bass is really kind of flabby sounding, and it kind of has a honky midrange. It's pretty full featured, though.

The California Blonde sounds like an awesome deal.</STRONG>
You should try the CA125D It blows the other lower wattage Crates away. I don't know if it's the speakers or the amp, but it's like night and day. I hear the CA250 is VERY inpressive.

I might have to find a place closer to home to try out a Blonde.

got GAS?
Old 06-01-2001, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trombone:
<STRONG>We have the Crate 60 and 125, purchased when we didn't know that much about amps. Wish we knew then what we know now! They make great coffee tables. Plugged in? You mean you'd plug into one of these boat anchors? Ok, I guess I'm being a little harsh. Let's just say that I have become very displeased with the performance of the Crates. Know anyone who wants to buy them?
We have the California Blonde now, and also a Fender Acoustasonic (at 63lbs!). Both are far superior to the Crates. We are very pleased with them.
Go for the Blonde!!!</STRONG>
I tried a Fender Jr right next to the Crate. Haven't tried the other ones. I'm assuming you've tried tweaking all the tone knobs on the Crates. When I first plugged in the 125 it sounded great...then the salesman started messing with the knobs and it DID sound pretty bad. (he's a Bass player) After he left I adjusted them back and got a real nice tight punchy sound. Very crisp highs, NO feedback. I was facing the amp at arms length and had it cranked.

I can't remember if the other Crate I tried was a 30 or 60, but I did NOT like it at all. It sounded cheap.

The Fender sounded OK, not as tight. A little boomy. It wanted to feedback at a low volume. The feedback notch did not help.

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Wanker ]

got GAS?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification