The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Default Eric church fingerpicking style...how?

So I’m looking for some info on fingerpicking “theory”. All I can seem to find online is how to fingerpicking but I’m looking for some insight on what strings to strum and in what rhythm for a specific song. I put Eric church because I really like how his songs sound. I’m new to the guitar and all I seem too see online is chords but I don’t see or know how to recognize when and how to pick those chords vs strumming them.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Try just listening and figuring it out.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM

The listening part of learning to play guitar is the most important aspect. You are new to it and would not know that, but it can't be stressed enough. Ear training is head and shoulders important above any visual aid (scores, tabs). If you listen to one note of a piece of music and then find it on the guitar, that's a brilliant start. Then learn which note that is by it's name. Proceed through a piece of music in this manner and make that your discipline. Before you realize it you will have trained your ear to the fret board, and also know the notes of each string/fret. I've met countless players who are completely lost without a tab or score because they play mechanically. Listening to a song after ear training is achieved will allow you to play it from your head (inner ear). You'll be able to jump into any session and contribute on the fly with no visual aids.

Regarding finger picking, that's a mechanical thing of repeated patterns, mixed patterns and syncopation thereof. A good finger picker does not stick to a single pattern throughout anything he plays, and he hardly ever plays the same thing the same way each time he plays it. Your Eric Church probably mixes things up as well, though I'm not familiar with him.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:55 PM

That’s some good advise. I’ve been reading about learning to play by ear and I agree 100% that seems like the best skill to have. I also believe that I can learn it but I’m really far away as far as my ear goes. At this point I can’t even really tell if my guitar is in tune and a lot of times my C and G chords sound the same to me. I’m not saying I won’t be able to learn it, just giving you a reference of where I’m at. I don’t know if anyone is “a natural” or not, but I do know I am not one as far as that skill goes. Do you have any tips or information I could look up to help me learn that skill? Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtaylor1101 View Post
That’s some good advise. I’ve been reading about learning to play by ear and I agree 100% that seems like the best skill to have. I also believe that I can learn it but I’m really far away as far as my ear goes. At this point I can’t even really tell if my guitar is in tune and a lot of times my C and G chords sound the same to me. I’m not saying I won’t be able to learn it, just giving you a reference of where I’m at. I don’t know if anyone is “a natural” or not, but I do know I am not one as far as that skill goes. Do you have any tips or information I could look up to help me learn that skill? Thanks for the reply.
I'm not a "natural" either. I taught myself fingerpicking (decades ago...) using a tape recorder to slow tracks down, and getting it steadily note by note. No tab, no videos back then.

Bass notes I guessed would be thumb, and high notes fingers. Notes in the middle could be either, whatever was easiest, but in the alternating bass style (aka Travis picking) it was pretty clear the thumb hit every beat.

These days (in fact for the last 15 years or so), no need for a clunky tape deck when I have this: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
(highly recommended, free for the first month, cheap after that)

Don't worry about your ear, it will improve. You just need to keep focusing, listening closer and paying attention. It can take a while - mine is still far from perfect, but it's way better than it used to be. That's without any serious training; just from playing music all the time, and transcribing lots.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Ear training is the best thing you can do. Learn how the intervals in 1 octave sound in relation to each other. Then learn how the intervals to form a chord sound, major, minor and 7th chords to start. Once you recognize that you can learn a song in any key you wish. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtaylor1101 View Post
So I’m looking for some info on fingerpicking “theory”. All I can seem to find online is how to fingerpicking but I’m looking for some insight on what strings to strum and in what rhythm for a specific song. I put Eric church because I really like how his songs sound. I’m new to the guitar and all I seem too see online is chords but I don’t see or know how to recognize when and how to pick those chords vs strumming them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Try just listening and figuring it out.
This is really the answer. Why?

Learning how to listen opens everything up for you. Hearing is not the whole ball of wax. Listening implies the ability to concentrate, identify and replicate.
Everything takes time and effort. How you spend the time is up to you, but developing your ear will give a much greater return for time spent than rote learning.

One approach would be to puzzle out just one of Erics pieces by ear. Be stubborn. Keep at it and it's pretty much a sure thing that by the time you've toughed it out to the end you'll have developed priceless skills along the way...
and you may even find your own personal style in the process.

Listen, listen, listen until you have a reason to pick up the guitar and try something. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good luck.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write