The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Default "Fingernail" Muting? (Downstrum Flatpicking)

Hi all -

As i get back into playing and start with some old Neil Young favorites, i notice i'm resuming a 'technique' (not sure if that's being generous and i'm just a poor player, or...) that i used to do.

Basically, holding the pick so that there's only about 1/8" to 1/4" of it extended straight out beyond my (first) fingernail, on the downstroke, i'm actually hitting the string/s with that 1st fingernail right before the pick hits, which i guess means that the pick attack is actually effectively causing the slight muting.

I hope i've accurately explained what i'm doing......anyway, anybody else do this? Is there a proper term for it? I think of it as a Neil Young style downstroke, a la Cowgirl In The Sand intro on acoustic versions, Old Man intro, Heart of Gold, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts or other songs like this, etc.

-js
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM

54 views later i have positive proof that i am a trailblazer and an innovator!

Y'all can say you knew me way back when...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM

I'm watching a Steve Kaufman DVD on flat picking and he mentions that the corner of his index finger hits the strings and the nail is sort of worn away in the corner Did you teach him that??

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write