The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Warm up exercises-finger pickers

What to you folks play to loosen up?

A week or so ago someone (thank you!) posted a link to Pete Huttlinger's site where his wife had a free tab to a classical thing he used. I thought that looks pretty easy--then I watched the video and saw how fast Pete played it

For several months I have been using a counterpoint figure in C which another AGF member was nice enough to share a while back.

Now I am using something called Fanny Lou out of Tommy Flint's finger style anthology book. It gets me up the neck a bit and also has some slides. A nice relaxed way to start a session https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/fanny-lou

What do you do?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:02 AM

Hi Bob,

"If" I warm up......I should seriously do more of it rather than launching into something...........
I usually do a chromatic walk up starting on the 6th string, moving to 5th, etc. So, F, F sharp, G, G sharp and back down.Helps stretch the fingers out and use all four. The I'll go back and alternate patterns, first fret, third fret, second fret, fourth fret as an example and move over to the 5th string and 4th string, 3rd string to 1st string. This also helps a lot with accuracy in striking individual strings........
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Bob,

"If" I warm up......I should seriously do more of it rather than launching into something...........
I usually do a chromatic walk up starting on the 6th string, moving to 5th, etc. So, F, F sharp, G, G sharp and back down.Helps stretch the fingers out and use all four. The I'll go back and alternate patterns, first fret, third fret, second fret, fourth fret as an example and move over to the 5th string and 4th string, 3rd string to 1st string. This also helps a lot with accuracy in striking individual strings........
Hi Fred,

That is a good one. I used to do it a lot. I think I may have picked it up from a Pete Huttlinger lesson. Recently I've tried to find things that sound more like tunes or are actual short tunes, but I think it would do me good to revisit this one once in a while.

Very helpful suggestion, thanks!

Last edited by reeve21; 06-27-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Bob,

That's almost exactly what I do, when I feel that I need a warm up. Most of the tunes I play are at or under 100 bpm so a warm-up isn't critical.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write