The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 12:52 PM

Default Have you owned a Seagull guitar that had a neck problem?

I am interested in hearing from those who have owned a Seagull acoustic guitar and needed a neck reset or replacement. I have seen the prior blogs here on the issue of epoxy and would like to just get responses from those who have owned a seagull, any year, and needed work done on the neck. Also give the approximate year of manufacture. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2024, 05:58 PM

I've got a Limited Edition Trans Black Seagull, I believe it was made in 2010, so it has the new epoxied neck joint. Zero problems so far, not even close to needing a reset. But when it does, it looks like it will be a throwaway... I really like the guitar, it sounds great, and has a short scale length with Artist Series appointments. It is indeed unfortunate that Godin decided to start building them in a way that the neck can't be reset.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:48 PM

Wow, looks like Oprah's really getting desperate for topics to do a show about.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

According to this discussion, Ian Davlin has come up with a device that loosens epoxied joints (at around the 37:50 mark):

Shop Talk 24 Live Stream with Ian Davlin

Whether the guitar is worth the price of a reset is another matter.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

From what I understand the pre-2006 Seagull guitars had a bolt on neck. 2006 and on were epoxied. I had the neck on my 1997 Seagull Custom Shop Model reset when I first bought it a few years ago, but it was apparently easy peasy because the neck was bolt on and not epoxied.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I am interested in hearing from those who have owned a Seagull acoustic guitar and needed a neck reset or replacement. I have seen the prior blogs here on the issue of epoxy and would like to just get responses from those who have owned a seagull, any year, and needed work done on the neck. Also give the approximate year of manufacture. Thanks!
I've had a couple of Seagulls and a couple of A&L guitars with the integrated set neck. The neck itself is not glued with epoxy, it is the neck extension section under the fretboard. The design, plus the laminated No1 brace and slight arching of the top at that point, is supposed to stop the neck block rotation over time (the cause of most neck resets).

All I can say is that the guitars I have had all had good neck geometry from the factory and have seemed to be very stable over time.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I've got a Limited Edition Trans Black Seagull, I believe it was made in 2010, so it has the new epoxied neck joint. Zero problems so far, not even close to needing a reset. But when it does, it looks like it will be a throwaway... I really like the guitar, it sounds great, and has a short scale length with Artist Series appointments. It is indeed unfortunate that Godin decided to start building them in a way that the neck can't be reset.
If you are the original owner and have your paperwork for the purchase, it is supposedly covered by Seagull's lifetime warranty, at least that is what I read.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 AM

Default Luthier not happy....

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQpqFNVffPM
Old 03-25-2024, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
What do you mean by "trans" on your seagull? Do they have a transacoustics option like Yamaha?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have seen that video. I think that some of his frustration probably stems from the fact that, with hindsight, he didn't actually need to take the neck off in the first place to sort out that guitar's problems!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:13 AM

Had a 2003 Artist that I bought really cheap that had a loose heel, a few small body cracks, dents and bruises.

It had the old style bolt on neck Seagull used to use. Turned out that the threads in the neck block had somehow came loose enough to cause some play in the joint. It was a simple repair for my luthier and rather inexpensive, as far as those type of "neck" repairs go. I gave the guitar away, but I know the individual who has it, and he said it hasn't had any other issues since this repair which was roughly around 2009ish.

I have not personally experienced a Seagull with the epoxied neck joint, but have seen several posts online and a few videos on what a pain they are to deal with if the neck has to come off.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:56 AM

My Original S6 is 25 years old and it’s fine. The only extra care ever has been stored in its case from December to April.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-25-2024, 11:03 AM

My Seagull guitars are all more than 20 years old (one's 30 years old). None of them have any issues their necks, and they retain the action they had when I bought them used more than a dozen years ago for the newest.

They are beefier and wider necks than most acoustic guitars. I happen to like that about them.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-25-2024, 11:46 AM

Yeah but… different problem, perfect geometry but neck to big for me on a 1996 S6. GL with your journey.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "trans" on your seagull? Do they have a transacoustics option like Yamaha?

“Trans” (translucent) black is the finish. The wood grain shows through the color so it is not completely opaque.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion