The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Default How to do Harmonics on Silent Night?

I love Tonedr and his rendition of Silent Night that he posted on the forum. The only thing I can't seem to get is the harmonics at the end of the song. I am new to this and not sure how to do this. Here is the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAoxG3EqUyA

Can someone post a video how this is done? It starts at bar 60 to the end. It is the last 5 bars of the song. I would be grateful to our forum members if someone could show me as I would love to learn how to play this for the holidays.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cproomando View Post
I love Tonedr and his rendition of Silent Night that he posted on the forum. The only thing I can't seem to get is the harmonics at the end of the song. I am new to this and not sure how to do this. Here is the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAoxG3EqUyA

Can someone post a video how this is done? It starts at bar 60 to the end. It is the last 5 bars of the song. I would be grateful to our forum members if someone could show me as I would love to learn how to play this for the holidays.

Thanks!
Hi Cproomando...

Dale (tonedr) is a regular here in the forum. Why not private message him and ask?

He's a really nice guy...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Cproomando...

Dale (tonedr) is a regular here in the forum. Why not private message him and ask?

He's a really nice guy...
That is an excellent arrangement by Dale.
Here is a good video of how to do harmonics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&h...&v=Iz_g68NvGeU

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 AM

In case the OP hasn't asked tonedr (or even if he has), here's those ending chords.

All frets are counted from the nut, not the capo, which is on fret 2; so "2" means an open string, and <14> is the octave harmonic of that string.

The other harmonics are artificial ones, octaves of fretted notes (12 frets up). So, eg, "<7>" means fretted at 7, harmonic node over fret 19.

Plain numbers are fretted notes.

Code:
 Bm11
|---------------------7--9-----9--7----------------
|---------------7----------------------7--------7--
|---------7----------------<7>---------------7-----
|-6/7-------------<7>--------------<7>-------------
|-----------<7>--------------------------<7>-------
|-----<7>------------------------------------------
 E9(13)
|-------------------7--9-----9--7------------------
|-------------7------------------------7--------7--
|-------7----------------<7>-----------------7-----
|-6-------------<6>---------------<6>--------------
|---------<7>----------------------------<7>-------
|---<7>--------------------------------------------
 A(add9)
|-----------------------5----------<5>----
|--------------------5----------<5>-------
|<14>-------2-----6----------<6>----------
|--------------9----------<9>-------------
|--------7--------------------------------
|-----5-----------------------------------
The first two chords only have one note different, but that does mean quite a different chord shape/fingering.
(Obviously the idea is to allow each note to ring as long as possible, so you need to hold the barre, or partial barre, throughout.)

NB: he doesn't get the 7th fret artificial harmonic on 5th string to work each time. A couple of times you hear the main note (low E); I'm not sure if that's intentional, but I'm assuming not, as it breaks the pattern. (He also fluffs the high 9th fret C# once. Hey, no criticism intended )

The last chord is a tricky stretch (IMO), but OK with a bit of practice. Index plays 6th only to begin with, to leave 3rd string open, then goes into a full barre after the 9th fret note. 7th fret is played with ring; middle goes to 6th on string 3.

You can of course play this without a capo (in G), but you'd need to subtract 2 from all the tab figures. And that A(add9) - or rather G(add9) - would be a bigger stretch...

BTW, that Tommy Emmanuel video is very good at showing the "artificial" harmonic technique, and he's quite right that there's nothing "artificial" or "false" about them: they're the same as "natural" harmonics, as sounds and notes; just the technique is different. The word "artificial" refers to the fact one has to "construct" them in a more complex way, with the picking hand alone.

Last edited by JonPR; 12-12-2012 at 05:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write