The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Practice Routine

I posted about not playing songs in practice, but as I look at what I want to learn I'm trying to develop a practice regimen. Even though I've played for years, the guitar and music is one of those things that you can never live long enough to learn all there is to know. This can lead to feeling overwhelmed, which of course is not good.

My main goal is to become an excellent fingerstyle player, of various style from worship, hymns, folk, bossa nova, etc. I am also interested in classical. In order to meet these goals I think I've honed in on the following practice schedule. I should add that it's easy for me to get scattered, so structure is helpful.

1. Music Reading, which includes rhythm (MI Music Reading for Guitar or Berklee Guitar Method?)
2. Scales (MI Solo playng)
3. Fingerstyle exercises (Mark Hanson's book)
4. Fingerstyle piece (Mark Hanson's book supplemented)
5. End with scales

What would you suggest...add or take away?

Thanks for your input.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

Last edited by kats45; 12-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

kats,

Sounds like a pretty demanding practise regimen to me! I don't know that I'd do the additional scales at the end of your sessions, but, in the long run, it's whatever works for you...

I'm hoping that you are using a metronome for your scale practise; the man who gave me my "crash course" in theory and harmony told me to set the metronome at a PAINFULLY slow tempo, and then to do all the different divisions of the beat (whole note, 1/2 note/ 1/4 note, 1/8 note/ 1/8 note triplet, 16th note... eventually I added 16th note triplet and 32nd note as my ability allowed...). Doing the scales this slowly really helps to ingrain the positions - you want to do each note as PERFECTLY as possible! - and I found that when I would play "to tempo", I could play very cleanly and fast... our brains automatically "translate" the increase in tempo... my tutor had just graduated from the Berklee School of Music, 6th level, Dean's list, in harmony and composition, by the way..

What you choose to practise should be dictated by what YOU WANT FROM MUSIC... not someone else's good idea - although one has to learn to walk before running - personally, I would not eschew playing songs entirely (although I might separate that aspect from other practise)... for me, the REASON I play and practise is to play songs, either my original compositions or tunes that I truly love and that "speak" to me, so NOT playing songs seems a bit antithetical to the end result... again, this is my way of thinking and I'm not saying you should "do it like me", not by any stretch...

Another thing to consider is the whole "PERFECT practise makes perfect" philosophy; if you aren't concentrating and focusing, totally, on what you're doing, it won't help to keep going with it, at that point in the session. Work it as long as you are really immersed and able to give your best; if not, walk away for a while... everyone's ability to focus varies widely, from person to person, so you'll have to find your own "time frame' for this.

Oh, another GREAT benefit to using that metronome, slowly, is that a solid sense of time will be imparted... and THAT will stay with you for years, once it's there...

Good luck with your playing! Hope you're having fun with it; after all, it isn't a race or a competition... they do call it "playing" music for a good reason!

play on...................................>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Seems like a full plate and a lot to digest, IMO...Good Luck and perseverance.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

My focus is songs. The first aim is "I want to play that song". The other stuff is used as needed to achieve the first aim.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM

I would say you need to learn at least a few complete pieces you can play on demand, even if they are rudimentary arrangements. Once you work on your scales and exercises, you need to have something handy to apply what you learned. Best not to devote so much time in learning music that you don't get around to playing music.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Kats45

1 to 4 are good. Here,s my extended suggestion. Others may come up with more.

1. Most practice routines start with some sort of warm up. Scales you know well, that are easy to play, make a good warm up routine.
2. Scales you are learning but are not yet 100%.
3. The piece you are currently learning that is not yet 100%
4. Here's an idea. Some form of ear training. It's a skill some musicians have naturally and others need to work on. In it's simplest form you think of a melody and play it. Maybe a hymn you sang at school. Strum a chord on the guitar and then try and play the tune in that key using that scale.
5. Go through one or two pieces you already know. Stuff you used to do as number 3 on this list.
6. Take one piece of music and play it as if you are playing to an audience. Some people will imagine they are on a stage and actually see themselves performing.
7. Do something just for fun.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Seems like a full plate and a lot to digest, IMO...Good Luck and perseverance.
That's why input from others is always useful, and something I know I need because I do have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew.

It may be helpful to say that I already read music, so the reading exercises are to keep me sharp and grow in that area as well.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Kats45

1 to 4 are good. Here,s my extended suggestion. Others may come up with more.

1. Most practice routines start with some sort of warm up. Scales you know well, that are easy to play, make a good warm up routine.
2. Scales you are learning but are not yet 100%.
3. The piece you are currently learning that is not yet 100%
4. Here's an idea. Some form of ear training. It's a skill some musicians have naturally and others need to work on. In it's simplest form you think of a melody and play it. Maybe a hymn you sang at school. Strum a chord on the guitar and then try and play the tune in that key using that scale.
5. Go through one or two pieces you already know. Stuff you used to do as number 3 on this list.
6. Take one piece of music and play it as if you are playing to an audience. Some people will imagine they are on a stage and actually see themselves performing.
7. Do something just for fun.

Cheers.
Thank you for your input. I got real excited this afternoon because I played "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" in Hanson's book, and sang along too. That's the first I was able to do that.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
kats,

Sounds like a pretty demanding practise regimen to me! I don't know that I'd do the additional scales at the end of your sessions, but, in the long run, it's whatever works for you...

I'm hoping that you are using a metronome for your scale practise; the man who gave me my "crash course" in theory and harmony told me to set the metronome at a PAINFULLY slow tempo, and then to do all the different divisions of the beat (whole note, 1/2 note/ 1/4 note, 1/8 note/ 1/8 note triplet, 16th note... eventually I added 16th note triplet and 32nd note as my ability allowed...). Doing the scales this slowly really helps to ingrain the positions - you want to do each note as PERFECTLY as possible! - and I found that when I would play "to tempo", I could play very cleanly and fast... our brains automatically "translate" the increase in tempo... my tutor had just graduated from the Berklee School of Music, 6th level, Dean's list, in harmony and composition, by the way..

What you choose to practise should be dictated by what YOU WANT FROM MUSIC... not someone else's good idea - although one has to learn to walk before running - personally, I would not eschew playing songs entirely (although I might separate that aspect from other practise)... for me, the REASON I play and practise is to play songs, either my original compositions or tunes that I truly love and that "speak" to me, so NOT playing songs seems a bit antithetical to the end result... again, this is my way of thinking and I'm not saying you should "do it like me", not by any stretch...

Another thing to consider is the whole "PERFECT practise makes perfect" philosophy; if you aren't concentrating and focusing, totally, on what you're doing, it won't help to keep going with it, at that point in the session. Work it as long as you are really immersed and able to give your best; if not, walk away for a while... everyone's ability to focus varies widely, from person to person, so you'll have to find your own "time frame' for this.

Oh, another GREAT benefit to using that metronome, slowly, is that a solid sense of time will be imparted... and THAT will stay with you for years, once it's there...

Good luck with your playing! Hope you're having fun with it; after all, it isn't a race or a competition... they do call it "playing" music for a good reason!

play on...................................>

John Seth Sherman
I've read about perfect practice, and it's good to be reminded. I haven't used a metronome with scales yet because I'm learning them, or I should say relearning them and getting down the patterns. I am using a metronome in other practice.

I totally agree. The whole point of practice is to be able to play songs. The other thing I notice is the need to pay attention to my attention level, if that makes sense.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM

I just transcribed "Happy Birthday." I have a couple of corrections with note duration, but I have all the notes right. I know it's simple, but it's a start. As suggested earlier in this thread, I started with a key, then worked within the notes in that key.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I've read about perfect practice, and it's good to be reminded. I haven't used a metronome with scales yet because I'm learning them, or I should say relearning them and getting down the patterns. I am using a metronome in other practice.

I totally agree. The whole point of practice is to be able to play songs. The other thing I notice is the need to pay attention to my attention level, if that makes sense.
Hi kats...

Actually, the primary time I have students use a metronome is with scales. I don't generally have them use a metronome with songs, because I don't want songs (other than ones like Flight of the Bumble Bee) to sound metronomic. I want them to be able to be a bit fluid.

But scales should be even, and using a metronome gives one a tempo number which marks progress. If you are at 90bpm one week & 115bpm the next & then 125bpm the next, and are keeping it together, you know your speed is increasing. If one learns scales with a metronome, then the musical side of rhythm is reinforced enough to carry over into other playing.

The other thing I combine with scales is playing them articulated (every note picked) and then slurred (every note which can be hammered is hammered).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-03-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: html code
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 AM

I'll share the vague outline that I re-adapt every few months, inserting specific exercises as my goals mutate. The core schedule is:

1) right hand technique
2) left hand technique
3) knowledge
4) new, very challenging, song

While these aren't mutually exclusive categories, my analytic nature makes it easiest for me to divide up practice time this way. And it's easy to memorize. (Others might add "improv" as a fifth section.)

For instance, right hand stuff might be fingerstyle patterns, using every possible combination of fingers; Guliani's right hand exercises; crosspicking; hybrid picking; tremolo; or strumming patterns.

Knowledge could be theory, ear training, transcribing, learning the fretboard, jazz chord shapes.

And so on. I change the routine's specifics about every six months. 15 minutes on each is an hour, six times per week. Seventh day, I play repertoire (or I'd lose it.) Timer. Metronome. I kept a learning journal for about a year.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Stop and smell the roses...

Also important that a lot of people (myself included) tend to forget - you need to give yourself a break. Everything you learn/study shouldn't be pushing you to the edge of your abilities. Make sure you're giving yourself enough easy tasks to excel at. Sometimes I'll take a break away from the absurd things I'm trying to comprehend and just learn some Neil Young or a fiddle tune . . or play over a I IV V or two. Enjoy your prowess. It keeps morale and overall quality of life high.

Last edited by usb_chord; 12-05-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
My focus is songs. The first aim is "I want to play that song". The other stuff is used as needed to achieve the first aim.
What he said. Plus, my strict practice regimen is I pick up the guitar when I feel like it and put it down when I'm tired of playing.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Also important that a lot of people (myself included) tend to forget - you need to give yourself a break.
Hi Brian...

Great point. I am a serious player with a degree in music, and starting from 3rd grade I was accustomed to 1 hour blocks of intense practice (extended as needed).

As an adult (47 years later) who has a good understanding of theory, scales, arpeggios, etudes, and who has all the chord library I need at present, When I sit down to practice something, it's usually because there is an issue that's cropped up in a piece or something on my mind I want to work out.

Those sessions only last 10-20 minutes, and I grab them with my Zoom H4n, and then get back on my merry way. I don't have a dedicated practice regime like I did the first 20 years of my instrumental life.

And if I hadn't been involved in private lessons till I was 21 years of age, I doubt I'd have extended the basic practice/rehearse model beyond the point where I had the basics down solid.

The episodic intense sessions have served me better personally. I can't practice effectively once the brain is wandering or numb.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write