The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2021, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Luthier built may be more consistent, but not inherently 'better' IMHO. I own both, and I'm still really impressed by my D18 'GE' Custom every time I pick it up.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-17-2021, 06:40 AM

For a short period of time I owned Martin D28 Authentic 1937 vs. Merrill C28 and Martin OM28 Authentic 1931 vs. Merrill OM28. Finally I decided to keep the Merrills but the Martin Authentics were absolutely on par. It's been a very close decision of personal taste and preferring the Merrill neck shapes.
I played several mighty fine new Gibson guitars but none sounded like my 1943 Banner J45.
More recently I came across guitars built by Bob Altman, played three, placed two of them definetely above any other guitar I played or owned.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-17-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
I found, through a bucket list purchase, that one needs to bring adequate playing skill to the process. It doesn't matter unless the buyer is capable of unleashing adequate skill and control, to accurately provide the depth of field an single luthier instrument can show.

Otherwise, a factory built instrument is fine (and less expensive) for most players.

YES THIS^^^ A Thousand Times THIS^^^

But...this is true for ANY good, reasonably responsive guitar...no matter how expensive or who made it.

You the player, has to have the skill...the chops...to bring the tone, the dynamic response...the "music", out of the guitar. The guitar, no matter how great, won't do that for you.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 09-17-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:53 AM

I'm awaiting delivery of my 1st single luthier built guitar. It's the most expensive personal item I've ever bought that I couldn't live in or drive. For my ears, and keep in mind I am a fingerstyle player, there is not much out there that sounds better than Lowden, SCGC, Collings, H&D, etc. Those makers build great playing and sounding guitars and certainly fill any role I could imagine for my playing from a tone perspective. Problem is I need a fatter neck due to tendonitis. I need at least 1 3/4" and a 2 1/4" spacing. I need 25.5" or longer scale for alternate tunings. I need a neck carve that doesn't have a lot of shoulder for thumb over bass notes. I need a cutaway, as some of my pieces are capoed up to the 7th fret. And I wanted all of this in a cedar topped guitar with EIR b&s's. If I could have found what I was looking for off a rack in a store, I'd not have gone custom.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Probably impossible to answer as we all hear things differently. I own several Martin's that I love, a couple boutique guitars that I also love, and a couple single shop luthiers guitars that I love. They're all different...we're all different.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-17-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

…factory…small shop…..solo luthier…..all are capable of building great guitars that can satisfy players at all skill levels….but….some reputable independent luthiers specialize on a specific style of build and take their designs to another level that factories rarely reach….whether those guitars are “better” is for the buyer to decide….

Last edited by J Patrick; 09-17-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:28 AM

Funny enough, you could buy a N. Boucher or a C. Boucher guitar which would be handmade by a single luthier (can be found quite easily in Canada). But none of them would ever be as good as a "factory made" Boucher guitar. In fact, I think they are pretty average.
Being made by a single luthier doesn't mean it's an incredible guitar. I see a lot of pretty funky and well thought guitar sold on the used market by student who just finished their lutherie class. They have great idea, but they will ask the price of a Boucher/Collings/Santa Cruz for their "final exam build". I prefer to buy factory made guitars. Also, if you ever want to sell them, you will guitar much better resale value.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:28 PM

Is this a serious question?

If it is....the answer is yes.
If it’s not...the answer is yes.

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I have not played a $7000 boutique brand that I'd rather have than a $7000 vintage Martin or Gibson.

I have not played a $7000 boutique brand I thought was $2000 better than a $5000 Martin.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-17-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have not played a $7000 boutique brand that I'd rather have than a $7000 vintage Martin or Gibson.

I have not played a $7000 boutique brand I thought was $2000 better than a $5000 Martin.

That’s interesting. I have the exact opposite feeling. I’ve never played a Martin that I would’ve paid more than $3k for based on sound and playability. And that includes all the collectible years. I’ve only ever played one Gibson acoustic I liked. It was a 1956 or so.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
"Luthier-made" guitars aren't necessarily better than a factory-made guitar.
I be never heard someone playing a custom built guitar and said to myself, "wow, if I just had that guitar." I will admit however that I've heard some people playing custom built guitars and thought to myself, " wow, if I could just play guitar that well. "

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-17-2021, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I owned a OM-18 Authentic for a short while (I couldn't handle the neck) that sounded as good as any luthier made guitar I've played, and I've played some really nice ones.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 PM

In the past 6 months, I purchased and tried many custom built and factory built guitars. Some factory built guitars like Martin Authentic Sounded and played just as good or better than custom shops I tried. I think every guitar is different and too many variables exist guitar to guitar. Unfortunately unless you have unlimited funds impossible to try them all .
Old 09-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

A good guitar is a good guitar no matter who built it. My experience is that I’ve had better luck finding a great guitar looking at smaller builders, but all that matters is the individual guitar.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
Have you played/heard any “factory-made” guitar that has similar tone/ sound quality compared to first tier Luthier-made guitars?

No, I haven't.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion