The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 PM

Default Martin D28 to Eastman E10D

So let me just say right off the bat...I have no brand loyalty and am only partial to individual guitars, I don’t care who or where they are made. About a year ago I bought a D28 (rosewood) and recently debating on putting a pickup in. I am very impressed with the tone and characteristics of the Martin, plays great aside from the shotty fret clipping which prevents clean pull offs on the high E (due to their new plek system maybe?) but overall it’s the best sounding acoustic and plays great, not butter like a Taylor neck, but I don’t like Taylor’s tone. Anyway I just couldn’t bring myself to have surgery done on the D28. I was determined on the Anthem or Anthem SL

So...I planned to check out some Eastmans, Alvarez, anything used at the local shop. Open to trying different pickups too.

They had a used (appears mint condition new) Eastman E10D (Mahogany) which the previous owner had the shop install bone pegs and an Anthem SL. The second I started playing it I knew...this is what I’m taking home. Tried a few others but the Eastman kept pulling me back, no contest.

The tone is great (even with the bright, clangy D’Addario NBs) and the pickup sounds phenominal in it. This Eastman is built like a tank and also very Elegant. Good projection and volume, plays awesome and has great intonation. I can also play any chord and the G and B string are perfectly in tune with the rest so someone nailed those nut slots perfectly.

Does it sound like a Martin? Well... no. Martin has a special little sprinkle of magic but I guarantee that it is definitely playing in the same league as Martin. Really just a preference thing when it comes down to it. It’s more fun to play than my Martin, not as worried about “hurting” it since it’s 1/3 the price. AND, my deodorant doesn’t eat through the finish like it does on the new Martins. Instantly eats through those finishes. Doesn’t hurt the Eastman at all.

$912.00 out the door after tax. Mint condition Eastman E10D, Anthem SL, and a beautiful Eastman hard shell case with a huge compartment which I love. I have to say...they are doing things right over there and I’m guessing it’s only going to get better and better. Try one if you see one!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Not long after I got a hd28 at the local shop, they had a
E20D-TC (for a day or two!) ... it sounded and played super!
I looked around for it a week later, it was gone... probably good
for me ...

-Mike
Old 09-15-2021, 08:04 PM

So are you keeping the Martin?

whm
Old 09-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

"Now he's traded off his Martin, but his troubles are not over" G. Lightfoot

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Though, I don't think Mr. Lightfoot was considering that he was buying an Eastman!

Back on topic now. I have gone from a stable of mostly Martin guitars to mostly Eastman and Epiphone now. Does that mean I have no ear for "great" tone"? I certainly don't believe so! Both have their pluses and minuses but Eastman makes a great guitar, no doubt about that! In fact, I have come to appreciate the Eastman tone more than the Martin tone these days.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:51 PM

I don’t plan on getting rid of the Martin. I really enjoy recording it with a condenser. But... I could see myself trading it for maybe a different body style in the future. So far, the Eastman is all I could want in a dred. Especially since it’ll be used live through a PA. the magic edge that a Martin has is only good for live unplugged or maybe stereo micd and recorded if it’s the only instrument in the mix. I feel like in most scenarios Martin or Eastman...doesn’t matter. But if I’m under a tree, strumming and really taking in all the pure sounds of the acoustic and overtones and wood etc...the Martin would take the edge. So I don’t think the Martin is “better” and I don’t think the Eastman is “better”...they are different, in the same class. I love the tone in my D28 but the E10D is almost just as good tone wise and wins in every other category due to the price. So actually yes, I’ll probably trade in the D28 towards a different body style.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

I think Eastmans are tough to buy without seeing them first. I’ve tried it and had too many issues that required money to fix.

You on the other hand found one, played it, loved it (not surprising… they have great tone)… and had the sense to buy it.

Well done!

PS you always need a backup. Two guitars is the minimum number of acoustics to own.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I think Eastmans are tough to buy without seeing them first. I’ve tried it and had too many issues that required money to fix.

You on the other hand found one, played it, loved it (not surprising… they have great tone)… and had the sense to buy it.

Well done!

PS you always need a backup. Two guitars is the minimum number of acoustics to own.
I would say 3. One for recording and playing in the house, one to take places or play live, and one for campfires and canoe trips. Same for each body style, then again for each wood type lol.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post

Well done!

Has the year mattered on the ones with issues? I've had a bunch of Eastmans and the newer (2019 +) have all been fantastically built with great fret and finish work with no issues other than some with excessively tall saddles and break angles.

Last edited by UncleJesse; 09-16-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I have had my issues 2014-2019ish? Fret dressing and necks humps were the issues… none major at all. Just a nuisance. But remember I am a small sample.

I will say that I had two Eastmans that sounded amazing. Seriously. An E10ss and an E10ss/v.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:47 PM

Well done! I also own a D28 & E10D. Both fine guitars. The Martin is 51 yrs old and has been my #1 for the last 20 years. The Eastman has stayed in the stable for several years now, bumping a larrivee sd50 and huss & Dalton TDM from top prize hog. Impressive.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 09-17-2021, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I have a Martin D18 and an Eastman E6D-TC. The Martin is warmer, more balanced, more articulate, and more refined. It just sounds prettier. That said, I find the Eastman a little easier to play. I don't know if it's simply a characteristic of the individual guitar or the 12" radius, which I generally prefer over the 16" on the Martin. Full disclosure, I also have an Eastman E20SS which is a delight to play.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dothraki,

Congratulations on your new Eastman E10D! Sounds like you got a great buy!

- Glenn
Old 09-17-2021, 09:23 PM

Thanks Glenn!

I actually find my D28 easier to play. The neck isn’t nearly as chunky as the Eastman, action is a little lower...at least it FEELS like it lol, and really there are issues with the Martin that bug me. For one, it appears the fret ends were never finished on the Martin. Look clipped off with a tool. I can’t do clean pulloffs on the high E due to it. Also on the Martin I can’t for the life of me get the G string perfect, but on the Eastman it’s magical. I’ve never experienced a guitar that didn’t need G or B string tweaking depending on what chords made up the majority of the song lol. But I know that’s more the nut slot than the guitar itself, but still. The Eastman, while more difficult to play, is still fantastically easy to play. It also pulls out some inner primal guitar beast in me and feels like I’m ....wait, I shouldn’t say that... lol...let’s just say it feels like I’m dancing with a wild animal, taming the beast. I love it. It’s actually quite disappointing. I spent $2800 on the D28 and while it does have a tone that only Martins have, those 2 issues, ESPECIALLY the fret ends issue, stick out like sore thumbs and prevent me from enjoying it as much considering what I paid.

Just FYI my D28 is a 2020 so maybe shotty production due to covid. Quite a letdown on that front.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
it feels like I’m dancing with a wild animal, taming the beast. I love it.

That’s real cool. That’s what I call a keeper.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM

Congrats on your new Eastman!

The issues with your Martin are easily solved.
If you arent able to do it yourself, take it to someone that can. You will be happy that you did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion