The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 06:24 PM

Default Why Do I Like Acoustic Guitars More Than Electric?

For some reason, I just like acoustic guitars so much more than electric... I love the way the wood looks on an acoustic guitar, such as the patterns in Koa, Walnut, EIR, etc...

There's just a special feeling I get when holding, playing, or even just looking at an acoustic guitar that I just don't get from any electrics...

I know this is the AGF, but do you also like acoustic guitars so much more than electric? If so, why?

I'm 28 years old, and it seems like people around my age are more into playing electric... I enjoy playing electric with a band, but when I'm playing alone, I always prefer acoustic.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-14-2021, 06:41 PM

There is something organic about playing a fine acoustic guitar with no electronics or amplification. Just wood and wires.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 09-14-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Don't have to plug anything in for one thing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2021, 06:55 PM

Electric guitars feel like they play themselves, and in my opinion seem easier to play, regardless of action and string gauge (mostly). There is surely a different technique for each.

That said, I prefer acoustic-electric guitars. Banging on the big sound box, strumming, palm muting, fingerstyle, whatever, nothing beats a great acoustic guitar.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I just got into electrics four months ago so I’ve been spending most my time on them. When i pick up and strum my Larrivee it blows me away how rich it sounds. Plus it feels incredibly light.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-14-2021, 07:03 PM

By yourself and with no other instruments, the acoustic makes sense. It's organic, the range is somewhat wider and deeper. It's a conversation you're having with your best friends around a glass of wine. The way the sound sustains is better, the way it projects - because how you play decides that, not the amp settings. it's easier to project feelings and depth - and I think that's why the acoustic sessions on MTV used to be so popular - that intimacy.

You can get some of that with an electric but you have to play around to find that sound and it's often only good for one or two types of song, then you have to start again. Etc. But electrics are so much easier to play, very forgiving.

But for me everytime I use my electric, I rarely can find the 'sound', so tired of mucking around, I grab the acoustic. It's there, honest and willing from the get go.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Electric tone is so dependent; pick-ups, their settings, choice of amp, its' settings... etc...

An acoustic instrument is wood, wire and you
Old 09-14-2021, 07:14 PM

I had an electric for awhile years back. It just seemed like a toy that got old quickly. Acoustic does the opposite. It continues to grow on me as time goes on. Also, there’s seems to be a degree of nostalgia that comes with a broken in acoustic guitar.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I had an electric for awhile years back. It just seemed like a toy that got old quickly. Acoustic does the opposite. It continues to grow on me as time goes on. Also, there’s seems to be a degree of nostalgia that comes with a broken in acoustic guitar.
I agree with the nostalgia factor. I received my Taylor 814ce when I was just 13 years old. (I started playing guitar when I was 9). I've had the 814ce now for 15 years, and it's just the best sounding guitar I've ever placed. It's so special to me.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-14-2021, 07:33 PM

When I first started gigging out I never had a car, so the dependence on an amplifier with an electric guitar was just too much for me to deal with. By the time I got a car my musical style was already formed, and electric guitar didn’t really fit in with it.

whm
Old 09-14-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Electric tone is so dependent; pick-ups, their settings, choice of amp, its' settings... etc...

^^^^This right here^^^^oh, wood or carbon fiber, wire and you😁
Old 09-14-2021, 08:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Well said! Definitely the simple intimacy that seduces me.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:38 PM

Any guitar you have to plug a cord into to get sound out of must be of the devil.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:41 PM

I have never much cared for an electric's sound. Additionally, they feel heavy to me and look ugly. Maybe if I liked rock music I would feel differently. And if feel weird to me to have to plug in to play. At any rate, they sure do not fit the sound of the music that I like.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 PM

I started playing when I was 11 years old. I've been through a lot of phases since that time. There's just something about a tele going into a cranked delux reverb that still moves me, I love that sound. But once covid hit, and I discovered Tommy Emanual, among others, that's what I've wanted to do. It's really nice to be able to pick up the guitar next to me and start playing. No messing with pedals, no waiting for an amp to warm up, or boot up as it seems these days, just grab and play.

There is another aspect to it, however, that makes me think I'm in for the long haul. I played lead guitar in bands for years. All that time, I wasn't playing a song, I was playing parts that required the rest of the band to become great music. With fingerstyle, I'm playing all the parts. No having to heard the cats, no earplugs, no loadouts smelling like cigarettes at 3am. I find it refreshing and I've never been more motivated to learn and get better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion