The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 08:32 AM

Oh! I forgot to add to the mix of information that Furch is going to be rolling out “Deluxe” versions of Blues and Yellows which are Grand Auditorium models, but with arm bevels (not sure if this will include rib bevels, though) for added comfort.

…just something (else!) to think about.

ETA: yes, for the rib bevels. The Blue Deluxe will be with a matte, open pore finish all around, however, and with an ebony pick guard. You can see them here:

https://furchguitars.com/en/jamwithsuzanne/

I see that Thomann and Kytary seem to have arrival dates for November of this year.

Last edited by Aimelie; 09-14-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I just recently pickup up an OMc-SR. I really like it. It's kind of the Taylor I always wished Taylor made, if that makes any sense. It holds tune really well, sounds really good and plays easily. I don't think you could go wrong with Furch. For around the house, I prefer an OM to a GC any day.

I am primarily a finger style player. Since you mentioned wanting to learn fingerstyle, please let me make some unsolicited suggestions. Make sure and get one long scale (25.5" or longer). The shorter scale guitars don't do as well with drop and alternate tunings, which you'll probably encounter if you go down the fingerstyle path. (are all Furch's long scale? I don't know their catalog very well) Also, you'll probably want to go for the wider nut (45mm). That extra string spacing is pretty much a necessity for me. Just something to think about.

Cedar vs spruce - cedar can be really nice for fingerstyle. I've got some cedar topped guitars. I personally think that spruce (sitka) is more versatile though. Given the styles you want to play are kind of all over the map, I think a spruce topped guitar might serve you better. To me, cedar is nice when you are looking for a certain flavor, that warmth and bloom, but it is a bit of a "speciality" thing. Sitka is more of a swiss army knife, do anything kind of sound and feel.

The above is just my opinion. Others might disagree. Best of luck with your search and I hope that helped a little.
Thanks for the reply, jklotz.

I’d definitely be going for the 45mm nut as I think this will give me the room I need for my fretting hand as well as for trying out fingerstyle and I’m pretty sure that all Furch scales are over 25” too.

I hear you re: spruce being more versatile and it does give me pause for thought: at this stage, I can’t rule out the Blue series Sitka Spruce/Black Walnut variation, which would likely have more headroom too if I really wanted to dig in with the strumming.

The good news is I’m now convinced that I can go with the OM shape whichever tonewood combination I go with, now it’s just a matter of figuring that bit out…and after I came in here yesterday convinced that the Cedar/Mahogany was set in stone!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Oh! I forgot to add to the mix of information that Furch is going to be rolling out “Deluxe” versions of Blues and Yellows which are Grand Auditorium models, but with arm bevels (not sure if this will include rib bevels, though) for added comfort.

…just something (else!) to think about.

ETA: yes, for the rib bevels. The Blue Deluxe will be with a matte, open pore finish all around, however, and with an ebony pick guard. You can see them here:

https://furchguitars.com/en/jamwithsuzanne/

I see that Thomann and Kytary seem to have arrival dates for November of this year.

Oh man, another spanner in the works😂!

I didn’t know anything about this, so thanks for the heads-up. The bevel will make the GA much more comfortable, but I’m not so enamoured with the black binding & pickguard (the tortoiseshell is much nicer imo)…still, something (else) to think about.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

The New deluxe versions sound like a great option. Don't know where you are located but as another option to consider, if there is a used Furch market in your area, or you can find a deal online (with some due diligence) you might be able to get an older Stonebridge/Furch guitar from the Red/25 series or the Orange/24 series for around the same price as the Blue series .

Deals like that don't happen every day but i do see them once and while. I have personally sold a D-25 and D-35 for the price of a new Green. They were in mint condition and were both fantastic guitars. I was just getting rid of Dreadnought redundancy
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if you’ve seen this video, but it may be helpful in your situation! https://youtu.be/nd8lncwJKmE
Old 09-14-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosharp View Post
Oh man, another spanner in the works😂!

I didn’t know anything about this, so thanks for the heads-up. The bevel will make the GA much more comfortable, but I’m not so enamoured with the black binding & pickguard (the tortoiseshell is much nicer imo)…still, something (else) to think about.
Agreed. What a bummer.

Oh well.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
The New deluxe versions sound like a great option. Don't know where you are located but as another option to consider, if there is a used Furch market in your area, or you can find a deal online (with some due diligence) you might be able to get an older Stonebridge/Furch guitar from the Red/25 series or the Orange/24 series for around the same price as the Blue series .

Deals like that don't happen every day but i do see them once and while. I have personally sold a D-25 and D-35 for the price of a new Green. They were in mint condition and were both fantastic guitars. I was just getting rid of Dreadnought redundancy
Yes, I’m in the UK and was initially keeping an eye out for a used one and there are a few bargains out there, including a very nice G22 CR & also G23 CR for less than/around the same price as a new Blue series. However, I’m in the process of buying a house so I don’t have the cash available right now and I’ll be buying one on 0% finance instead. In theory, this could provide me with a bigger budget to splash out on a Yellow series or a Vintage but there’s also the missus to appease and lots to buy for the new house, so think I’ll have to stick with the Blue series.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
Not sure if you’ve seen this video, but it may be helpful in your situation! https://youtu.be/nd8lncwJKmE
Hi, yes I have seen that video. Unfortunately, the sound quality isn’t great so it’s not as instructive as it could be, tbh I don’t hear a ton of difference in them but it’s interesting that he himself prefers the cedar based on that experience of playing both.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:29 PM

I can share my opinion on the Furch Blue plus Gc-CM and the Blue plus Gc-SW. I have owned both of them. I am not sure why people say that Cedar topped guitars can't handle hard strumming. I can strum pretty heavy at times and I never had a problem with the sound breaking up on mine. Maybe it was just my guitar I dont know. I know between the cedar topped furch and the sitka topped one I really liked the cedar better. Not that the sitka was bad but the cedar just had that little something extra that I really liked. To bad you dont live in the states, cause I just sent both guitars to Brian at Sun Valley guitars to sell for me. Sent him a couple of Martins too. They are all really nice guitars. I am just wanting to get down to around 3 guitars. I was up to 7 at one time and I just dont really need that many guitars.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosharp View Post
Hi, yes I have seen that video. Unfortunately, the sound quality isn’t great so it’s not as instructive as it could be, tbh I don’t hear a ton of difference in them but it’s interesting that he himself prefers the cedar based on that experience of playing both.
In all honestly, I don’t think there is a huge difference between them. I think furch has their own sound that will come out regardless of wood combination. They do tune each top, so I’m sure that takes out some of the difference between wood types. I know that there really wasn’t a huge difference between my green g-sr and yellow g-cr. Like I said before, the cedar top just has more too it in terms of dimension and overtones, Not really much difference I’m terms of volume or headroom.
I really think you will happy with whatever you choose. And of course let us know what you do end up going with.
Good luck!
Old 09-14-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I can share my opinion on the Furch Blue plus Gc-CM and the Blue plus Gc-SW. I have owned both of them. I am not sure why people say that Cedar topped guitars can't handle hard strumming. I can strum pretty heavy at times and I never had a problem with the sound breaking up on mine. Maybe it was just my guitar I dont know. I know between the cedar topped furch and the sitka topped one I really liked the cedar better. Not that the sitka was bad but the cedar just had that little something extra that I really liked. To bad you dont live in the states, cause I just sent both guitars to Brian at Sun Valley guitars to sell for me. Sent him a couple of Martins too. They are all really nice guitars. I am just wanting to get down to around 3 guitars. I was up to 7 at one time and I just dont really need that many guitars.
Thanks, that’s really helpful; the cedar seems to have that little something extra to me too from the videos/demos I’ve come across.

I can see from your sig that you’re an Eastman fan too. How would you say that they compare to Furch? Whilst researching, Eastman were the other brand I have really considered and I could get an E6 or E8 for around same price as a Blue Series and within my budget, though of course then I’d be going for a Sitka top then.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
In all honestly, I don’t think there is a huge difference between them. I think furch has their own sound that will come out regardless of wood combination. They do tune each top, so I’m sure that takes out some of the difference between wood types. I know that there really wasn’t a huge difference between my green g-sr and yellow g-cr. Like I said before, the cedar top just has more too it in terms of dimension and overtones, Not really much difference I’m terms of volume or headroom.
I really think you will happy with whatever you choose. And of course let us know what you do end up going with.
Good luck!
Thanks, I do think I’d be happy with either but I just keep coming back to the cedar top as my preference. Maybe if I play it as much as I think I will and really get into playing again I can stump up for a nice spruce topped Furch (Yellow series or Vintage) to complement it a year or so down the line.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:17 PM

If you are wanting a cedar topped guitar I would go with Furch. Either the OM or Gc. If you want a sitka top too, I would go with the Eastman E6om, or the E8om. You cant go wrong with either one IMO. You might even want to consider the thermo cured top ones. I really like both of mine, but my E20om is really nice too.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
If you are wanting a cedar topped guitar I would go with Furch. Either the OM or Gc. If you want a sitka top too, I would go with the Eastman E6om, or the E8om. You cant go wrong with either one IMO. You might even want to consider the thermo cured top ones. I really like both of mine, but my E20om is really nice too.
Yeah, the Eastmans seem like really nice guitars; if I go for the cedar this time around and then am shopping for a spruce top down the line they’ll definitely be on the shortlist.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:11 PM

Hi toosharp, I have a cedar-topped OM (yellow series) and it's great for strumming. I rarely use a plectrum but can bang it pretty hard and loud with my fingers and it handles it no problem.
I suspect there's not a lot of difference other than cosmetic between the yellow and blue, indeed I would ve gone for a blue had I not lucked out with a nearly new yellow for only a few (cough) quid more.
I love it, it's easily the best sounding and easiest to play instrument I've owned and it inspires me to improve every day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch blue series cm