The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
If you like using fingers but want more snap, consider using finger picks. Also, pick closer to the bridge. I think thinner strings, like maybe a .10 set might give you a little less thud as well.
The low E is what bugs me sound wise- it just isn't crisp like I'm used to- the rest of the strings seem to be fine-
I'll consider the lighter gauge strings and the flat wound as Steve suggested.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:51 PM

Let me add, I really like rockabilly style energy- but, I am more of a ballad player/try to singer- like this, which my oldest so says is the best video I've done- but, I like this one myself

The first video above was recorded straight to my iPhone- the second one was recorded to an iPad mini- I returned it because it didn't do as good a job as the phone did - IMO- but both are what I do.... ballads.
I want to, somehow, bring the Gretsch into play just for the diversity.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:25 PM

That beautiful Gretsch combined with your beautiful rich voice deserves another video!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:26 PM

I love the car-color Gretsches and Fenders — the lighter metallic green on this one is particularly classy!

Well done and enjoy!
Old 08-28-2021, 04:51 PM

Nice guitar, enjoy!

A question for you Gretsch guys - I thought they had left Korea and gone to China for production of these. But these are made in Korea - which I think overall is a good thing. Did Gretsch go back to Korea?
Old 08-28-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
...A question for you Gretsch guys - I thought they had left Korea and gone to China for production of these. But these are made in Korea - which I think overall is a good thing. Did Gretsch go back to Korea?
For some unknown reason they suddenly moved production of the 5600-Series Electromatic semi-hollows to China in mid-2019; thankfully the 5400-Series hollows are still made in Korea - in the experience of many here on the Electric subforum they're the finest of their kind in the under $1K bracket, rivaling many similar instruments at three and four times the price for both tone and QC - but for how long nobody knows. FYI a NOS Korean-made two-pickup 5622, as well as the occasional used three-pickup/cats' eye version (also MIK), still turns up every so often on Reverb for under $1K, and if you're in the market for a fully pro-quality semi that doesn't sound like a 335 (I own the 3-PU, and it'll get you tones you'll never get from any other guitar) and just happens to sell for intermediate/step-up money, I'd grab one while the getting is good...
Old 08-28-2021, 06:46 PM

A real beauty. Love the color!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
That beautiful Gretsch combined with your beautiful rich voice deserves another video!
Thank you! I'm pretty sure there will be a video- I have one in mind I've not seen (in my short time here) anyone do- I'm working on it
Old 08-28-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
The low E is what bugs me sound wise- it just isn't crisp like I'm used to- the rest of the strings seem to be fine-

I'll consider the lighter gauge strings and the flat wound as Steve suggested.
For what you are wanting, I doubt foatwounds are going to be your thing. I switch back and forth depending on my mood, but I don't typically associate flatwounds with "crisp".

I assume you have checked intonation on the low E? Also, if the nut isn't cut low enough it can cause the string to fret sharp and that's more obvious on the low E. Lastly, select the bridge pickup, crank the volume a bit on the guitar, then adjust the listening volume through the amp itself.

I have owned four 5420t guitars through the years and have never noticed a thuddy or dull low E on any of them.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
For what you are wanting, I doubt foatwounds are going to be your thing. I switch back and forth depending on my mood, but I don't typically associate flatwounds with "crisp".

I assume you have checked intonation on the low E? Also, if the nut isn't cut low enough it can cause the string to fret sharp and that's more obvious on the low E. Lastly, select the bridge pickup, crank the volume a bit on the guitar, then adjust the listening volume through the amp itself.

I have owned four 5420t guitars through the years and have never noticed a thuddy or dull low E on any of them.

I suspect I have a learning curve with sound - the amps- the guitar controls to figure out- and I have other strings to try on hand-
Old 08-30-2021, 06:33 PM

Love that color. Very pretty. I've got a couple of Gretsch electrics, and I think they sound good through most amps that have some nice top end. I have a few amp choices, but I prefer a Princeton Reverb and a Vox AC15C1 with them. But lately I've been using a little tweed amp (Fender EC Vibro Champ) with the hardtail Gretsch, and that sounds great, too.
Have fun with that thing!
Old 08-30-2021, 08:51 PM

Nice looking Gretsch!
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-31-2021, 11:04 AM

First off, congrats on the nice new green guitar, and I like they way to sing with'em.

I've been trying to warm to flats on guitars (half my electric basses have flats) for the past year or so. My first impression was that wound strings -- and the low E in particular -- don't have the snap I sometime look for, so flats may not be your style either. Assuming one's OK with skipping string bending (I've got other guitars for that) they do feel nice and reduce string noise when moving position. Another change from round winding strings is that the relationship between the unwound E and B and the wound strings changes, and that can be good, or a refreshing change at least.

With my own Gretsch hollow-body I'm beginning to think it may need different amp settings for it to really shine. My habit has been to set my amp one way and then to go back and forth between my accumulation of electric guitars (a variety of kinds, including most every pickup type around) without changing things. I'll tweak the tone or volume knob on the guitar, and lately even use a pedal board with gain-increasing stomp boxes and so forth, but not the amp. That's a prelude to say that you might want to try dropping the bass on your amp (or if it's a one-knob tone control amp, turning the tone knob on the amp up) and, keeping all the knobs on the guitar turned up, and then setting the volume on the amp to what you want. Small, low powered amps don't do low end bass sounds all that well as a rule, so cutting that out may give you a better sound, even on, or especially on, the lowest pitched string. If you try that for a bit and you don't like it, well, ignore my advise.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-31-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
First off, congrats on the nice new green guitar, and I like they way to sing with'em.

I've been trying to warm to flats on guitars (half my electric basses have flats) for the past year or so. My first impression was that wound strings -- and the low E in particular -- don't have the snap I sometime look for, so flats may not be your style either. Assuming one's OK with skipping string bending (I've got other guitars for that) they do feel nice and reduce string noise when moving position. Another change from round winding strings is that the relationship between the unwound E and B and the wound strings changes, and that can be good, or a refreshing change at least.

With my own Gretsch hollow-body I'm beginning to think it may need different amp settings for it to really shine. My habit has been to set my amp one way and then to go back and forth between my accumulation of electric guitars (a variety of kinds, including most every pickup type around) without changing things. I'll tweak the tone or volume knob on the guitar, and lately even use a pedal board with gain-increasing stomp boxes and so forth, but not the amp. That's a prelude to say that you might want to try dropping the bass on your amp (or if it's a one-knob tone control amp, turning the tone knob on the amp up) and, keeping all the knobs on the guitar turned up, and then setting the volume on the amp to what you want. Small, low powered amps don't do low end bass sounds all that well as a rule, so cutting that out may give you a better sound, even on, or especially on, the lowest pitched string. If you try that for a bit and you don't like it, well, ignore my advise.
I appreciate the input - currently, and for the foreseeable future, I have a Bugera v5, per Steve Derosa's advice for an apartment. I also have a Fishman Mini Loud Box for my a/e guitars- the one song I've done so far (the second video at that link) came out pretty good, IMO, and a few others that have seen it liked it- they aren't as critical as players are so they accept the sound as it is- mine and the guitar

I've played a few other songs I call myself knowing and fooled with the Bugera and the guitar and as I said, I have a lot to learn- and if that ain't bad enough I have a lot of guitars (acoustics) I play as well-

ALL advice is appreciated!
Old 09-02-2021, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

One other thing I meant to mention... These guitars have black top filtertron pickups. Setting the height of the pickups is imperative. Don't assume they are set correctly from the factory. The filtertron are very picky in this regard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars