The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-20-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Can I buy a wide nut Tele?

I've been an acoustic player all my life, but I have always enjoyed the sound of telecasters. So, I bought a MIM example recently with a maple neck, and I really like it. A nice diversion from my acoustic guitars. But, the nut measures 1 5/8". All my acoustics are 1 3/4". Quite a difference. I can play the Tele, but it would be cool to find one with at least a 1 11/16" nut and one with a 1 3/4" would be even better. Are they out there? I did a quick Reverb search with no luck.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

https://warmoth.com/index.php/telecaster-neck-builder
Stock teles probably not, but Fender certainly builds them in their Custom Shop. A less pricey alternative can be done through the use of Warmoth parts. See above link.
I believe that Howard Emerson’s tele like guitar built from Warmoth parts has a 1 3/4 neck.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-20-2021, 08:58 PM

Spendier, but gooder - http://www.talkovichguitars.com/
Old 08-20-2021, 09:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0twentyone View Post
I've been an acoustic player all my life, but I have always enjoyed the sound of telecasters. So, I bought a MIM example recently with a maple neck, and I really like it. A nice diversion from my acoustic guitars. But, the nut measures 1 5/8". All my acoustics are 1 3/4". Quite a difference. I can play the Tele, but it would be cool to find one with at least a 1 11/16" nut and one with a 1 3/4" would be even better. Are they out there? I did a quick Reverb search with no luck.
As Andre has so kindly pointed out, I've had one built using a Warmoth body & neck as seen in the video.

I personally built a Strat body instrument with a Warmoth 1.75" boatneck profile neck, and a pickup layout of my own design. Not only have I played acoustic guitar since 1970, but I've been using very large necks since having had tendonitis in 1971-72.

Here's my Strat build in action:

Don't be shy about doing it! It'll be the best thing you've ever done for your hands!

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 08-20-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I have three Warmoth teles with 1 3/4 necks. By the time I put together all the parts, each cost me about $800.

Here are two of them.
First one is a Blonde Swamp Ash body, quartersawn maple neck, black mop dots, Gotoh bridge, Kluson tuners, and Klein '61 Epic Series pups.
Second one is a Seafoam Green Swamp Ash body, maple/ebony neck, Gotoh bridge, black Gotoh tuners, and Walk of Life pups.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-21-2021, 09:47 AM

For the most part I play electric differently with different aims than acoustic, so the narrower necks are less critical to me on a Tele than an acoustic. I'll barre more up the neck on electric, intentionally fret more than one string with a single digit, and overall I play more single-string and double stop parts than full chords.

But that's mostly, and you may want to play your electric more like you play your acoustic or in some other way that favors more spacing.

As an make-do, or as a substitute if you can't afford going with a custom neck or boutique guitar, consider capoing up. This can also be done in concert with tuning down and heavier strings if this adaptation suits you. You get a little bit more room with an off the rack guitar and the effective shorter scale may help with some chord reaches.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-21-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Already tried the capo up angle; didn't work for what I do. See, I do play the Tele like an acoustic; at least to a degree. Standards like "Georgia" or "Dream a Little Dream" to just name a couple sound so good to me with the single coil pick ups and the right amp settings, etc. Plenty of barre chords are used in those songs, but first position chords are also necessary to do them right. Maybe this will help put it in perspective. Here is my fourth and final set of a show: Georgia; Masquerade; Can't Help Falling in Love; Unchained Melody; Wonderful World; Smile; Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out); Something; Summertime; jazz version of Over the Rainbow; and Dream a Little Dream. I have always done these acoustically with the rest of my set, and I know those versions very well. When I bought the Tele, I starting playing around with all the sounds, and I really liked it. Plus, it would serve as a nice diversion from all the acoustic material. So, instead of playing the Tele in a new way, it seems to me it would make more sense to find a Tele that plays more like me. And, the single biggest hurdle (at this point) is the nut width. I could go to other electrics with a wider nut, but that's not the point. It's the Tele sound that I like. Indeed, I have a Martin CF-1 arch top built in collaboration with Dale Unger. It has a single Kent Armstrong floating neck pick up and is quite wonderful actually. But, it's also not a whole lot different than what I can do on my acoustics. The Tele is a different dimension that I want to explore.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Can I buy a wide nut Tele?
There's really no need to, as the Carvin AE185 sounds and plays better, is two pounds lighter, is better built, has an acoustic style bridge, comes in a vast range of woods and colors, is more versatile, and already feels more like an acoustic than most electrics

https://reverb.com/item/4598892-carv...l-koa-stunning

If you want a new one, they are now branded "Kiesel"
Old 08-21-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Already tried the capo up angle; didn't work for what I do. See, I do play the Tele like an acoustic; at least to a degree. Standards like "Georgia" or "Dream a Little Dream" to just name a couple sound so good to me with the single coil pick ups and the right amp settings, etc. Plenty of barre chords are used in those songs, but first position chords are also necessary to do them right. Maybe this will help put it in perspective. Here is my fourth and final set of a show: Georgia; Masquerade; Can't Help Falling in Love; Unchained Melody; Wonderful World; Smile; Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out); Something; Summertime; jazz version of Over the Rainbow; and Dream a Little Dream. I have always done these acoustically with the rest of my set, and I know those versions very well. When I bought the Tele, I starting playing around with all the sounds, and I really liked it. Plus, it would serve as a nice diversion from all the acoustic material. So, instead of playing the Tele in a new way, it seems to me it would make more sense to find a Tele that plays more like me. And, the single biggest hurdle (at this point) is the nut width. I could go to other electrics with a wider nut, but that's not the point. It's the Tele sound that I like. Indeed, I have a Martin CF-1 arch top built in collaboration with Dale Unger. It has a single Kent Armstrong floating neck pick up and is quite wonderful actually. But, it's also not a whole lot different than what I can do on my acoustics. The Tele is a different dimension that I want to explore.
If you want to stick with the Tele (and I understand that), would you be up to ordering a Warmoth Tele replacement neck with a 1 3/4" nut width? Not sure if the Fender Custom Shop would sell you a 1 3/4" neck but if they did it would be very $.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:36 PM

Larrivee had a tele with 1 3/4" nut a few years ago, not sure if they're still making it.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
If you want to stick with the Tele (and I understand that), would you be up to ordering a Warmoth Tele replacement neck with a 1 3/4" nut width? Not sure if the Fender Custom Shop would sell you a 1 3/4" neck but if they did it would be very $.
Yes, that option is looking more and more attractive to me. I even went on their site and went through the process without actually buying one. Unless I'm missing something, it appears one could just get the perfect neck to his liking and keep it even if you sold the guitar. You could put the original neck back on and keep the Warmouth for the next Tele. Would it work that way? Or, are there different pocket depths and bolt configurations that might not match up on another Tele?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, that option is looking more and more attractive to me. I even went on their site and went through the process without actually buying one. Unless I'm missing something, it appears one could just get the perfect neck to his liking and keep it even if you sold the guitar. You could put the original neck back on and keep the Warmouth for the next Tele. Would it work that way? Or, are there different pocket depths and bolt configurations that might not match up on another Tele?
It should work that way. Just contact Warmoth with your Tele model and they'll let you know. I suspect what you say is correct though.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In a lot of ways a tele is a pretty crude instrument and as long as you stay classic Fender tele specs, and if you don't mind a bit of fitting, you can swap necks from tele to tele. Even if you have to fill the screw holes on the neck and redrill (unlikely) it's not a big deal. There's some slight variations in neck pocket depth but usually that adjustment can be covered by saddle height.

I prefer a wider neck, my personal tele style guitars have a 1 3/4ths nut.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Warmoth even has a SUPERWIDE option for 1 7/8 and even 2" wide. Roomy as can be...seems crazy to me for a steel string ,but everybody likes what they like.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-nut-width
Old 09-01-2021, 07:10 PM

O21, out of curiosity, do you also plan to use heavier gauge strings to get the higher tension of an acoustic?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars