The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Finally Played a Nice D28

Not sure if it's bad luck with duds, a clash of my playing and tonal preferences with what it offers or if the guitar is simply over-rated but I've never played a D28 that impressed me considering the price tag. I haven't played a ton of them, less than 10, but the other day I went to 2 shops and played the D28 in both shops. The first one was the same experience I've always had, just not big or full sounding compared to what I expect but the second one I found had a very nice playable action, great neck feel and a nice much more full tone. I personally wouldn't pay the price tag I don't think but finally I could see why others do. It didn't blow me away but it did sound and play impressively!

Is it a case of my tonal preferences being different? Are D28's pretty inconsistent? I associate J45s with inconsistent tone, but haven't heard that much about the D28. Maybe what I'm unimpressed by actually flourishes in flat picking, which is what most people use them for, I mostly finger pick and strum.

Just some observations I had.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Are D28's pretty inconsistent?
In my opinion, yes, they are.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is it a case of my tonal preferences being different? Are D28's pretty inconsistent? I associate J45s with inconsistent tone, but haven't heard that much about the D28. Maybe what I'm unimpressed by actually flourishes in flat picking, which is what most people use them for, I mostly finger pick and strum.

Yes, a D-28 flourishes in flatpicking, same as a D-18 and HD-28. If you are primarily a fingerpicker or strummer, perhaps a D-35 or HD-35 with their 1/4" bracing and thus more flexible top would be better options for you.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 09-16-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

….my experience is that most D-28’s are fairly stout in the standard series…they need a fairly strong right hand attack to hit their sweet spot whether you play with your fingers or a pick….occasionally one will be more alive with a softer touch but if you go to some of the other D-28 incarnations….the more vintage oriented models…they will usually be more responsive to a lighter touch….

…still…a Martin Rosewood Dreadnought has a distinctive and iconic tone that may or may or be someone’s cuppa
Old 09-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I have an older limited edition 28 I really like. And have played a couple reimagined ones that were nice. And I don't flat pick particularly...more strumming and finger picking. But guitars and ears are all different.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure if it's bad luck with duds, a clash of my playing and tonal preferences with what it offers or if the guitar is simply over-rated but I've never played a D28 that impressed me considering the price tag. I haven't played a ton of them, less than 10, but the other day I went to 2 shops and played the D28 in both shops. The first one was the same experience I've always had, just not big or full sounding compared to what I expect but the second one I found had a very nice playable action, great neck feel and a nice much more full tone. I personally wouldn't pay the price tag I don't think but finally I could see why others do. It didn't blow me away but it did sound and play impressively!

I mostly flat pick and strum, while I occasionally think a D-28 or D-18 sounds good, I often then pick up just about anything else and change my mind. They sound good when others play them, but in my hands they do nothing for me. The ones I have liked more have all been used ones, so possibly they just take some time to develop.

Personally, I'll take a good J-45 any day, enjoy the guitar more and save myself a bit of cash. Ditto with a D-15 or Larrivee D40, and save myself even more cash. Or heck, even some flavor of Godin and save myself almost $3000 dollars.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:21 PM

Martin's stock/store setup doesn't help. Before I knew much about guitars, I just assumed that they were all hard to play.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:56 AM

My experience with D28s has been similar. I did like one at a guitar center of all places. I think I just tend to prefer D18s. Love mine.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:11 PM

I don't know how accurate this is, but having owned a couple of D28's and D18's I tend to think that the sound people have in their heads is a a nice D28 but sitting from the control room with a little mic EQ and compression.

For some reason very few Martin dreads have sounded like they do on records when I've been in the room with them.

I'd echo that the smaller 1/4" bracing would be my strong preference

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion