The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I also "identify" as an intermediate player. One thing I find helps me evaluate playability of a potental purchase is to play the more/most challenging songs/riffs/etc. I know to see if the guitar enables or impedes me pulling off those tougher pieces.
Interesting concept. My strategy going into this is to try not to embarrass myself too much in front of the seller (who is from the first state, incidentally).
Old 09-16-2021, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Axeman View Post
Interesting concept. My strategy going into this is to try not to embarrass myself too much in front of the seller (who is from the first state, incidentally).
I know what you mean. What little talent I have seems to evaporate in those situations; but what the heck, just go for it anyway. Good luck. (PS, I’ve run into folks in the U.S. who don’t even know where Delaware is.)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. While I’ve got you guys, anyone have string recommendations for the 000-15m?
I like Martin retro lights on mine. Some love em some don’t, I like em. You’ve got a lot of good replies here on inspecting the guitar. I recently bought mine used from GC so when I had it shipped to the store I checked to make sure the neck was straight, the bridge wasn’t pulling, played every note up and down the fingerboard to check for high frets/buzzing. Looked inside just to make sure a brace wasn’t popped, checked for normal cosmetic issues. That was really about it I think. These play really well and I love mine. Hard to beat a 15 for the price.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I know what you mean. What little talent I have seems to evaporate in those situations; but what the heck, just go for it anyway. Good luck. (PS, I’ve run into folks in the U.S. who don’t even know where Delaware is.)
I grew up there (Milford) and discovered the music I like was in very short supply. I remember a news story on Delaware Day at the NY World's Fair, a bunch of folks being asked about Delaware and coming across as generally clueless. And that was in the days when schools taught geography.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I grew up there (Milford) and discovered the music I like was in very short supply. I remember a news story on Delaware Day at the NY World's Fair, a bunch of folks being asked about Delaware and coming across as generally clueless. And that was in the days when schools taught geography.
Cool...I'm in Milford frequently. These shirts are pretty popular here. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2389 4.jpg (40.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. While I’ve got you guys, anyone have string recommendations for the 000-15m?
I've got a Custom Shop variation, all mahogany 000. I very much like DiAddario Nickel Bronze on it.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:59 PM

All the above are excellent and vital checks. If serious $´s are at stake, (say more than $500 ?), buy a set of your favorite strings. Inspect de-strung. Re-string and compare the sound. Re-inspect. Bad things can hide in “vintage” strung instruments.

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 09-16-2021, 09:03 PM

Great advice on the straight edge. Check the neck angle carefully and be sure no hump is at the body joint. Martin guitars sound great, but I have given up on them. Seen too many with weird neck angles and humps. My Baxendales play better and sound as good as the Martins I have tried. And my Baxendales are put together really well. I would be suspicious of any 000-15m at a crazy price. Check it out carefully.

I had Scott Baxendale convert an H165 for me. His prices are not crazy - it wouldn't be much more than buying a Martin 000-15m and I promise you it would out sound and out play the 000-15m.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
how to buy a guitar