The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 04:02 PM

Default B string buzz only when fretting the low E on the 7th fret.

What’s going on here?
Old 09-16-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

weird. maybe an overtight trussrod?
Old 09-16-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
What’s going on here?
Buzz or sympathetic vibration? The note you're fretting is a "B" an octave down from the 2nd string.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Buzz or sympathetic vibration? The note you're fretting is a "B" an octave down from the 2nd string.
I used to get strange buzzes when I capo'd my 00015sm at the 7th fret. After much trouble shooting I discovered that the open G was causing a sympathetic vibration on the E string. I remedy it sticking a 2nd capo up the neck.

Maybe this guy discovered something similar.

Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-16-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
I’m not sure how to tell the difference. I should say that the guitar is in an open tuning.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I’m not sure how to tell the difference. I should say that the guitar is in an open tuning.
If you aren't fretting the offending string, it's not a buzz. Either it or something else is causing the unwanted vibration. Make certain that all your tuning gears are snug and that any onboard electronics, including the wires, battery, battery holder, & endpin jack aren't the source.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:52 PM

I had a similar vibration issue on my Martin 000-15m. The open B string would buzz when fretting the low E at the 11th or 12th fret. Turns out it wasn’t the B string buzzing, it was the low E buzzing before the fretted note when the open B was played. So it was some kind of sympathetic vibration. I got rid of it by loosening the truss rod a tad. So check your relief and for high frets that could cause something similar. Hope that helps.

So in other words, your low E string might be buzzing before the 7th fret when you fret that note and play the B. If you use two fingers and fret the 7th and use a different finger to simultaneously fret a lower note on the E string do you still hear the buzzing? That’s how I diagnosed mine. It drive me crazy. Sorry it’s kind of hard to explain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion