The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-10-2021, 03:07 AM

Default Recommendations please -

Looking for a classical guitar that meets the following:
1. Sounds closest to a grand piano
2. Cutaway for easier upper fret access
3. Slightly narrower neck width for using thumb to press on E string
4. With a built-in amplifier, like Fishman, etc. although MORE important for it to have #1-3, and sound great unplugged

Little background: Bought a used Hirade H-5 back in 1997. It's been my only guitar. A few times I compared it to a few hand-made classicals, and have surprised a few luthiers with the quality of the sound. It was a used example hanging on the wall at the local Guitar Center for $1,100, pretty mint condition. And it sounded beautiful even with the old strings on them. Salesman called me a month later and said I could have it for $700 out the door if I didn't finance, so I bought it that day. Installed a Fishman pickup a year later. (To think I ALMOST bought a Ramirez 1A Tradicional back then!) TBH, still very impressed with it.

Kind of music I play is usually fingerpicking. Some beautiful song I'll hear on The Voice (Say Something), or America's Got Talent. Or some worship song from church, or a haunting movie theme, like the ending credits theme from Aquaman.

Play unplugged 95% of the time...

Main reason for the possible new purchase is wanting more reach on the higher frets. Wrapping my smaller left hand around the whole neck to play an F on the 7th fret is a little tough. (No barre, to allow fingerpicking the melody , but at the same time want a better thumb grip on the E string so the bass note stays...)

Current piece I'm working on is "Only Us." Thanks to being a piece from a Broadway play, it's got TWO wicked key changes on top of starting off in B. Solution is to capo at 6th fret, and I get to fingerpick with as many open strings as possible... almost.

Also upload a piece or 2 every year when I have time...

Have done some very light research, and saw the Cordoba GK Pro Negra, Hirade TH90, and I think I saw some Yamahas. The Cordoba GK Pro Negra is unofficially in first place... so would love to hear suggestions.

Price-wise, I'm always up for a great deal, but am not opposed to investing even in a handmade one that fits the bill. (I have no toys, drive a little paid off Fiat, work like a nut, sent 3 daughters to college, and have saved up for a few rainy days. Even my wife has said I should get a really nice one.)

Enjoy

THANKS!

Last edited by 91709jack; 09-10-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:37 AM
Guest 928

I recently tried a Kremona and was pleasantly surprised. What moved me in the Kremona direction was the site with the best list of specifications I've ever seen for each of the Kremona models. I was also able to ask for and receive some customization. It's worth a look.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:48 AM

Closest I have with a piano like presence is a laminate top 2006 Takamine EC132C with the undersaddle pickup removed, and a tusq saddle (bone adds clarity, but loses fullness to the trebles).
Savarez 500 AJ HT Alliance/Corum
Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 AM

The cordoba you mentioned is nice, but also take a look at the Esteve 7ce. And you will generally find that the bigger the body…eg going with a Rodriguez instead of a Hauser style, will get you more volume and more piano like tones.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Guest 928

The Emerald 30 in nylon mode...............
Old 09-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

The Córdoba GK Pro Negra is a fine instrument. Compared to the Hirade though, keep in mind that the GK Pro has different specs, that you may like better - or that you may not like at all. The GK Pro has a 50 mm nut width, a 59 mm string separation at the saddle, and is set up with lower action, because it is a Flamenco guitar. And the GK Pro probably has a thinner profile neck than the Hirade.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
A question for concert pianists: Anyone know of a piano that sounds like the Emerald 30?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Guest 928

Question: How many concert pianists have heard of an Emerald guitar?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Guest 928

I suspect that a steel string CF guitar is more likely to sound like a piano than a nylon string CF instrument. Some Rainsongs come to mind.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:29 PM

UPDATE: Called my local Guitar Center, and the guy was super nice, said he'd have both the Cordoba GK Pro Negra & Takamine 135SC shipped in for me to check out in 3 to 5 days!!! (and just added the Takamine TH5C into the mix!) Thanks everyone for your feedback so far.

Also reached out to Guitar Salon, curious if they had something that would fit my criteria. They were kind enough to respond, and suggested the Cordoba GK (without me mentioning anything...)

QUESTION: On these 2 guitars, am I right in hoping that it would NOT need to be set up to make sure notes stay in tune and don't buzz all the way up & down?

Quote:
I recently tried a Kremona and was pleasantly surprised. What moved me in the Kremona direction was the site with the best list of specifications I've ever seen for each of the Kremona models. I was also able to ask for and receive some customization. It's worth a look.
Thanks, EvanB - had a chance to listen to a few clips for the Kremona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Closest I have with a piano like presence is a laminate top 2006 Takamine EC132C with the undersaddle pickup removed, and a tusq saddle (bone adds clarity, but loses fullness to the trebles).
Savarez 500 AJ HT Alliance/Corum
Hi Bax, in looking up the EC132C the 135SC came up, and after a few clips, is also a contender. THANKS! Speaking of Savarez, after trying dozens of brands, I use the Savarez Alliance 540J trebles, with D'Addario EJ46 bass strings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
The cordoba you mentioned is nice, but also take a look at the Esteve 7ce. And you will generally find that the bigger the body…eg going with a Rodriguez instead of a Hauser style, will get you more volume and more piano like tones.
Hi Ceabeceabe, that is what I'm really curious about, how the thickness of the body (or narrower as in these cutaway guitars) affects the sound... Looked the Esteve 7ce up, not much by way of the Est Coast to be able to actually play one, or actually buy one...

Quote:
EvanB, I tried looking this one up. Closest was an X20 on their site... interesting looking guitar, didn't find any sound bites. But I will have to pass on looks alone but THANKS just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
The Córdoba GK Pro Negra is a fine instrument. Compared to the Hirade though, keep in mind that the GK Pro has different specs, that you may like better - or that you may not like at all. The GK Pro has a 50 mm nut width, a 59 mm string separation at the saddle, and is set up with lower action, because it is a Flamenco guitar. And the GK Pro probably has a thinner profile neck than the Hirade.
Hi ceciltguitar, you're spot on. Having been on a nylon string for so long (played electric in my teens 40 years ago!), the occasional steel string neck feels way too narrow for my short chubby fingers. I *think* standard is 51 mm, so hoping the difference is NOT massive, and still gives my fingers space to land and sit comfortably. Very curious to see how the lower action feels and sounds. Thinner neck is perfectly OK, even if the width remained the same.

Last edited by 91709jack; 09-11-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I believe that the most common nut width on classical guitars is 52 mm. I have seen classical guitars with nut widths of 51 mm and 53 mm.

Unless your touch is real light, I expect that you will get some buzz (AKA “Flamenco growl”) at least on the bass strings, on the GK Pro.

If you like the Hirade, I bet that you will like the Takamine TH5C.

I’m glad to hear that you get to try out all of these contenders before making a decision! Have fun comparing guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical