The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2b View Post
Does anyone here have an experience with Seagull guitars? In particular, how do the S6 Original and Maritime SWS compare against Gibson's J15?
I like the S6 a lot, and often recommend it for people shopping for their first guitar. My older one has a somewhat shorter scale and a wider 1.8" nut, which works quite well for me. Some newer models have a "slim" 1.72" neck, and they appear to now all be regular 25.5" scale length. The upper level Seagulls are all solid wood and are quite nice - very good bang for the buck across the board. All have good build quality. They also make other body sizes too, with the MJ being a nice compromise if a dreadnought is too big.

I'm not a Gibson guy, so I cannot compare directly. It has been a few years since I've even picked up a Gibson in a local store - not many stock them.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:16 PM

So I'v been today in two music stores and tried the guitars listed + some more.

The 4 guitars I consider now buying are: Gibson J15, Gibson Hummingbird Studio, Martin DX1RAE and Seagull Coastline Momentum.

Both sounds different but great, and I like the the HPL suppose to require lower maintenance than the full wood of the Gibsons, although this is all in theory.

Is the HPL really that durable? Can I, for example, put it on a guitar stand all year round without worrying about humidity?
In addition, this is the very first Martin I played on, and while it obviously sounds different than Gibsons, how close does it sound to a "proper Martin"?

EDIT: Been today in 2 more guitar stores and played the X series. In addition I listened to more sound samples comparing Martins to Gibsons.
An interesting conclusion that I came to: Martins, both the "flagships" and X series have more "steel overtones" than Gibsons, which are more tight and clean, almost nylon-like. Can it be the reason people say that Gibsons are better for studio recordings? If so, that I guess this is the exact reason why Mark Knopfler uses his Martin for solo appearances while the Gibsons are used for the studio.

I guess it is down to Martin DX1RAE vs Gibson J15.
I feel that I like the Martin a bit more. It more like what a steel-string guitar should sound, while the Gibson sound very similar to my nylon-string guitar, and for solo playing I think the Martin will be great. That said, the Martin's price + a hard case is only 270$ less than the Gibson J15, which is all solid wood, nitro finish and comes with a case.

Last edited by mark2b; 01-15-2019 at 02:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
country blues, fingerstyle guitar, folk guitar, knopfler, ragtime