The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Default Another First Recording Posted by Old Guy

I finally got the nerve to post it...

http://soundcloud.com/peter-hyatt/ne...ger-blues-in-e

If you take out the vocals, the guitar playing and the recording, it's not bad.

It is difficult posting something after hearing so much talent from others, but like others, I am having a lot of fun learning how to record.

Due to 2 jobs, large family and limited energy, I don't get to play with others, so having a multi track is a great replacement.

"New Stranger Blues" is a fun song to learn from since it is only 3 chords. Happy and Artie Traum used it to teach lead guitar.

I edited out the harmonica solo...and I didn't sing several of the verses. When I play harmonica in E, Clancy the Bullmastiff, no matter where he is in the house, will join in.

Thank you for the patience in answering my myriad of questions. I am having fun learning to play bass and hope to 'master' just basic recording skills, and learn some simple percussion and eventually try 6 string banjo!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:30 PM

You play and sing very well! From a recording perspective, it sounds a little too warm. In other words, I think the mix needs some treble to give the guitar and your vocal clarity (although that could just be my system). From an arrangement perspective, I think it would sound better without the percussion...it just didn't add anything, IMHO.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:41 PM

I enjoyed it. No need to apologize, that's for sure.

I was taken a little off-guard by the bass run that occurs at 0:35 and three other places; it sounded a little rushed, almost as though there was about to be tempo change.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 AM

Great stuff. Great playing and singing all round. Lovely tone on the slide.

I'd agree that the percussion is a little distracting - at first I thought it was simply a thumb-pick hitting the guitar (a problem I have).

I'm assuming that the DP008 is the same as the 4 in many respects, so you could export the individual WAV files onto the PC and then drop them into Audacity (which is free) or something similar. Even if you don't care to add any EQ or effects you can then easily pan tracks left and right and cut off the noise at the beginning where you're clicking the mic on.

Big thumbs up from me.

Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Thanks...

I was just playing the E chord and not sure if I was going to do it as a song or not, and then improvised some light lead. Eventually, I will record it with a count in and metronome and replace the link.

It was my first attempt at recording any percussion: bongo and shaker. On the demo from DP 004, they use only something similar and I was hoping to duplicate.

As rough and awkward as the whole thing is, it was a lot of fun and I have new found respect for recording technology. I understand now why it is taught in courses. Even as I go back to others who have posted here, I am amazed at the recording quality they were able to reach.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 AM

Great job Seamus!

You've got a grasp on the basics now. It's a lot of experimenting and trial and error now.

I'd agree too that you should consider exporting tracks to a PC to work with them some more.

All in all, good job.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Great job Seamus!

You've got a grasp on the basics now. It's a lot of experimenting and trial and error now.
Well said Lapetra, and that applies to me too
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Great job Seamus!

I'd agree too that you should consider exporting tracks to a PC to work with them some more.

All in all, good job.
Thank you. I will eventually re-record it, planned out as a full song and use the metronome and count in. It was fun to put it together.

I am now at the point where, once recorded properly (no improvising) on the Tascam, I will have to decide what to use to Master, which comes down (for me) to either learning Garage Band (came with the Mac) or the Cubase that came with the Zoom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD