The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Tube Sound,

I buy my strings from "Strings & Beyond," who used to be a sponsor here at the AGF. About once per quarter they have a deal where they add an EJ-16 3-pack to the EJ-16 10-pack. I need that many strings about once or twice per year, so I am alert when the time comes.

Regards,
Glenn
Thanks Glenn! I signed up and added a reminder for those strings. Free shipping to Canada, nice. Even in US$ this will save a ton. Thank you much.

TS
Old 10-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Thanks Glenn! I signed up and added a reminder for those strings. Free shipping to Canada, nice. Even in US$ this will save a ton. Thank you much.

TS
Yes, you are most welcome!

- Glenn
Old 11-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Why I'm aking about D'addario Ten Packs.

Hi folks, I've left this for a bit to measure response and it seems that a lot of you do buy the Ten packs.

PLEASE NOTE: I am a D'addario string user, they make very good strings!
However this video explains why I believe they are spoiling their own fine product due to poor packaging.

IF you agree - then please contact them and tell them what you think.

Please see this :

Old 11-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi folks, I've left this for a bit to measure response and it seems that a lot of you do buy the Ten packs.

PLEASE NOTE: I am a D'addario string user, they make very good strings!
However this video explains why I believe they are spoiling their own fine product due to poor packaging.
Silly, I liked your video. Your point is valid.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:16 PM

No, the three pack phosphor bronze works out cheaper per pack on Amazon UK last I checked as it's always on sale.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
No, the three pack phosphor bronze works out cheaper per pack on Amazon UK last I checked as it's always on sale.
Well done. I always check Amazon FIRST for strings. The single and the three pack strings move the quickest out the store. Hence there is competition between the vendors and hence more chances of a deal. You just have to stay alert and monitor the prices.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM

When I can. Some sets don't come that way.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Watched the whole thing. A couple of thoughts and questions.

Is it possible that the lighter packaging is adequate for domestic shipping but not for international shipping? I know that doesn't do you any good, but seeing as D'Addario's biggest market is domestic, it may explain why no one else has complained. (If that's true.)

Martin SP strings are available in multi-packs. A 3-pack of 13s (for example) is MA550PK3 and is a slight savings over buying three individual sets. Some string vendors also offer Martin SP in 25-packs, but they are bulk-packaged in sleeves, not as individual sets. But the price is good that way. A 25-pack of 13s is $85 at Stringsbymail.com, which works out to $3.40/set. Not sure what kind of deals are available to you in the UK though.

Speaking of the Martin strings, can you give more detail about what you thought of them?

Finally, what are the "strings popular with Collings players" that you mentioned?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Just did............
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Silly:
I enjoyed your video, and it was very informative. One question: Have you actually found corrosion on new D'Addario strings with punctured packets? I ask because I don't think the VCI protection requires a sealed package to be effective.

The Martin packaging you showed in your video relies not on VCI but rather on inert gas fill of a hermetically sealed package. That packaging system certainly requires intact sealing to maintain protection. A puncture of Martin's packaging can lead to corroded strings - I've seen it happen. I don't think that's an issue for VCI packaging.

Over the years I've seen many different types of precision metal products protected by VCI in shipping, with no attempt at air tight packaging. I can't recall seeing a failure of protection. It may happen, but I'd guess it's pretty rare.

I'm not a chemical engineer, and my understanding may be flawed. Perhaps a real expert will weigh in, but I don't think lack of an air tight package is necessarily a problem for VCI protected metal.

All that aside, your videos are truly a gift to players everywhere. Keep up the good work, and best wishes for you in all things and all ways.

Uncle R.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Yes I do buy the 10 packs
Old 11-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Watched the whole thing. A couple of thoughts and questions.

Is it possible that the lighter packaging is adequate for domestic shipping but not for international shipping? I know that doesn't do you any good, but seeing as D'Addario's biggest market is domestic, it may explain why no one else has complained. (If that's true.)

Martin SP strings are available in multi-packs. A 3-pack of 13s (for example) is MA550PK3 and is a slight savings over buying three individual sets. Some string vendors also offer Martin SP in 25-packs, but they are bulk-packaged in sleeves, not as individual sets. But the price is good that way. A 25-pack of 13s is $85 at Stringsbymail.com, which works out to $3.40/set. Not sure what kind of deals are available to you in the UK though.

Speaking of the Martin strings, can you give more detail about what you thought of them?

Finally, what are the "strings popular with Collings players" that you mentioned?
Hi,
Is it possible that the lighter packaging is adequate for domestic shipping but not for international shipping?

D'addario/ Planet Waves has a large distribution centre in the UK, maybe for Europe or just UK, I don't know. I buy from a British retailer that has the best ebay prices and offers great service.

My ten packs are posted to me, The Royal Mail is very good but they always arrive crushed, since they've cheapened the outer packaging. The dealer has accepted that this issues is real and has promised to try to find a better way to ship them, but it should nor be his problem.

Martin SP strings are available in multi-packs. A 3-pack of 13s (for example) is MA550PK3 and is a slight savings over buying three individual sets. Some string vendors also offer Martin SP in 25-packs,

A few folk are selling off old stocks of Martin SPs, but now they have been replaced by the "Authentics". I tried one set of the newer version on my best Collings dreads - took 'em off after a few days - didn't care for them and not good value for money.
There is little point in my buying strings from the USA - as I'd have to pay international postage then pay excise duty, and then 20% tax on strings, postage, excise duty, and possibly a handling charge as well.

I started buying Martin SP strings because folk on forums said that they liked them better than the newer versions, so I bought some old stock on ebay to try them. I quite liked them - a cleaner more "brittle" sound on the wound strings than D'addarios, and I liked the gold coloured 1st and 2nds. Maybe the more trebly Martin strings suit more bassy Martin guitars, and D'addarios suit brighter, balanced Collings guitars better, but it seems that most Collings users prefer the even warmer John Pearse PBs so I tried them (very expensive (£15.50 per pack) and corroded).

Thanks for your interest.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Sorry, not who you are replying to, but I found Martin SP phosphor bronze strings sound great for the first few weeks but die quite quickly. I found them more prone to rust than the equivalent D’Addario strings. I comfortably get six - eight weeks heavy use out D’Addario phosphor bronze, although for my own taste I am not mad on the brand new sound of strings straight after fitting.

I absolutely hated Martin silk and steel and ended up replacing back to phosphor bronze after a week and a half but this would probably be true of all silk and steel strings for the sound I am after.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
And I would buy them in the 25 pack if they came sealed as in they do in the 10 pack.
I just bought 24 EXP16s in the BOGO sale.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Martin SP strings are available in multi-packs. A 3-pack of 13s (for example) is MA550PK3 and is a slight savings over buying three individual sets. Some string vendors also offer Martin SP in 25-packs,

A few folk are selling off old stocks of Martin SPs, but now they have been replaced by the "Authentics". I tried one set of the newer version on my best Collings dreads - took 'em off after a few days - didn't care for them and not good value for money.
There is little point in my buying strings from the USA - as I'd have to pay international postage then pay excise duty, and then 20% tax on strings, postage, excise duty, and possibly a handling charge as well.
Now I'm confused. I didn't realize there was a difference between the old Acoustic SP and Authentic Acoustic SP.

I put a set of Authentic Acoustic SP phosphor bronze on my Taylor today, and I can already tell I like the D'Addario EJ17 better on that instrument. That's a shame, because Authentic Acoustic SP are widely available as bulk strings for really cheap prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion